Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Worst Norwich 11, 1990-2005

Ok its probably best to make a seperate topic rather than poison the "Best Norwich 11" thread with these abominations...

Marshall

Derveld - Segura - De Waard

Southall - Carey - Hamilton - Dalglish

Benjamin - Coote - Peschosolido

I have a few pet hates to add....

Marshall (The half a season Gunn broke his leg)

Fleming (This season)

Holt (This season)

Clint Easton 

Managed by Bruce Rioch.

[quote]I have a few pet hates to add.... Marshall (The half a season Gunn broke his leg) Fleming (This season) Holt (This season) Clint Easton Managed by Bruce Rioch.[/quote]

How can you criticise Marshall for that!

Clearly, you were not at the Newcastle Home game then?

No problem with the rest though!

My bench would be: -

GK - That bloke on loan from SHeffield United, the name escapes me.. Tracey?

Lee Marshall

Chris Llewelyn (Wish I could spell his name)

Alex Notman

Jean-Yves De Blassis

Manager - Bryan Hamilton (At least Rioch Tried!)

c''mon guys. Lets not forget such stunners up front as Mike Sheron, Darren Beckford and least of all Tony Cottees 5 minutes.

In midfield theres Des Hamilton (loan), Jim Whitely (loan), Cedric Anselin and Keith O''neill for always getting injured

Defence: Ian Butterworth, Erik Fugelstad, Colin Woodthorpe and Fernando Derveld

Scott Howey or Simon Tracey in goal anyone anyone??

[quote]How can you criticise Marshall for that! Clearly, you were not at the Newcastle Home game then? No problem with the rest though![/quote]

I don''t blame Marshall......I blame Chase for not having or getting experienced cover.  Marshall was too young and inexperienced.  That wasn''t his fault - but he was the reason we went down.  Before Gunn''s injury we were challenging for Europe.

If we''d got experienced cover, like Southampton got Keller when Neimi got injured last season......OK they went down, bad example but...if we had I have a complete alternate reality were we qualify for Europe and beat Inter in the final (as Bergcamp can''t fly to Iceland).  We then win the premiership, Abramovich buy''s 49% of us rather than Chelsea etc....etc...  

The moment I saw the thread title, I thought Simon Tracey (like Trent Canary!). But also, those two "star-signings" has-beens Tony Cottee and Steve Walsh...both under Hamilton - IMO some of the worst transfer dealings in history.

[quote]c''mon guys. Lets not forget such stunners up front as Mike Sheron, Darren Beckford and least of all Tony Cottees 5 minutes. In midfield theres Des Hamilton (loan), Jim Whitely (loan), Cedric Anselin ...[/quote]

Would that be the same Ian Butterworth who was an almost permnanent fixture in our defence for almost a decade?

On the subject of the original post, there''s been some shockers, and I can''t remember seeing a worse keeper for City than Tracey. I''ll never forget a game where the ball was going out, goal kick i think, and he raced over to the corner flag, tried to control it, failed miserable and posession was taken by a Coventry player who duly scored in an empty net.

[quote]Who was the Scotish keeper we had for a short period during the late 90''s. Watt or something. I remember he was quite good and totally outshone Andy Judas Marshall.[/quote]

mark walton?

Port Vale sold 2 players - Wimbledon get Robbie Earle and we get Bonzo Beckford - nuff said.

Walsh & Cottee just plain rubbish, Tracey was a clown, I''m amazed no-one has mentioned Ulf Ottosson who ran around a lot to no good purpose......I''m not sure De Waard was even a footballer (basketball perhaps?), who was the Irish winger we had on loan from Newcastle around the same time as Hamilton - he was pretty naff as well.......sadly Rocky Rocastle didn''t perform but there were probably good reasons why and his was a sad end for such a talented young player........and what about KEITH SCOTT - Christ he was useless too!.......based on last season''s performances Matty Jonsson must come pretty close.......this topic has been a good one to take our minds off where we could be now!

Garry Brady - remembered his name!

Thank you Alex. IAN BUTTERWORTH??? Captain fantastic, and defensive mainstay from the best footballing era of the club''s history??

You''re wrong, and nuts too.

Disappointed by the slating Marshall has had!

Yes he had a ''Nike Swoosh'' style of kick, but as a keeper his reflexes were superb, anyone remember the Gordan Banks type save he made against Coventry in the 94/95 season? outstanding.

As for bad players....for me it doesnt get any worse than:

Tracey

Sheron

Akinbiyi

Raymond De Waard

and my personal favourite.... Gary ''shi*e Megson''

OTBC

My Own Worst NCFC (90-05)

A joint managerial team of Megson & Hamilton

Joint managers never work, and these were both hopless anyway.

Gk:   Simon Tracey (Remeber the dodgy kick vs Cov City)

RB:   Keith Briggs (subbed H/T at Bradford never seen again)  

CB:   Steve Walsh (£5000 for every minute of dreadful football)

CB    Brian Mcgovern (Just because you used to play for Arsenal Reserves doesn''t mean you are good)

LB    Fernando Derveld (If Worthy drops you and releases you Immediately then you are very,very,very bad footballer)

RW   Graham Stuart (Don''t care if he won the FA Cup with Everton he was rubbish)

CM   Phil Mulryne (Its the new Beckham tag and not being able to pass forwards that does it for me, not to mention the ego and lack of effort, nice free kicks though)

CM   Jean Yves De Blasis (Just Because He''s French and they have just won the world cup doesn''t make him the next Viera, which is a shame)

LW   Cedric Ancelin (Sooner Delia''s money than mine)

ST   Ade Akinbiyi (HOW MANY CHANCES??? HOW MUCH MONEY???)

ST   Adrian Coote (Being related to Brian Hamilton is a curse not a blessing)

Other worthwhile mentions: Ulf Ottosson, Andrew Brownrigg, Johnny Wright, David Smith, keith Scott, Paul Heckingbottom and of course the million pouns man Mr. Darren Beckford 

I think the Scottish goalie might have been Scott Howie. I saw him at Swindon away and he made me shudder every time the ball came close to him.

Has anybody mentioned Pape Diop? I think Hamilton confused him with the other one who was at Fulham last season.

Ian Butterworth is one of the all time great NCFC defenders so that one mystifies me and Chris Llewellyn actually had some godo skill but it never developed as far as we all hoped. Dennis Van Wyk- another legend (despite the penalty in ''85 at Wembley).

You could fill an awful team with Hamilton''s loans and signings and few others come close. My vote for all time worst has to be Drazen Muzinic who came from Hadjuk Split in a blaze of publicity but that was well before 1990.

I think the Scottish goalie might have been Scott Howie. I saw him at Swindon away and he made me shudder every time the ball came close to him.

Has anybody mentioned Pape Diop? I think Hamilton confused him with the other one who was at Fulham last season.

Ian Butterworth is one of the all time great NCFC defenders so that one mystifies me and Chris Llewellyn actually had some good skill but it never developed as far as we all hoped. Dennis Van Wyk- another legend (despite the penalty in ''85 at Wembley).

You could fill an awful team with Hamilton''s loans and signings and few others come close. My vote for all time worst has to be Drazen Muzinic who came from Hadjuk Split in a blaze of publicity but that was well before 1990.

[quote]Thank you Alex. IAN BUTTERWORTH??? Captain fantastic, and defensive mainstay from the best footballing era of the club''s history?? You''re wrong, and nuts too.[/quote]

The post was for 1990 - 2005 which were predominantly Butterworths cart horse years. Anyone remember Blackburn and 7-1??

Having Looked at the general consensus I am embarassd to announce the worst Norwich 11, 1990-2005!

Simon Tracey

Fernando Derveld - Steve Walsh - Raymond De Waard (Need him as an extra defender!)

Nicky Southall - Des Hamilton - Garry Brady - Graham Stuart

Adrian Coote - Tony Cottee - Trevor Benjamin

Bench - Mark Walton, Keith Scott, Chris Llewelyn, Jim Whitley, Paul Dalglish

(We seem to have had an awful lot of rubbish midfielders over the years!)

Rieg77 - you''re right about the years, sorry.

However, you shouldn''t put Butterworth on there at all after what he did for us in the previous decade! It''s like putting Fleck on there - yes, he was BLOODY awful second time around but we can forgive him that!

What about Shaun Carey? And Peter Grant? And I''m always a little sad that De Blassis is on these lists. He could have been a great player for us and was just showing some great touches before the NCFC Cruciate Curse struck.

Wizard - did you mess around with some "knee ligament injury" spells that went horribly wrong in the mid/late 90''s? Everyone had that injury at Norwich!

Who remembers any of these terrible players actually scoring then? I recall Fernando Derveld scoring at West Brom and Llewellyn and Cottee amazingly in the same match at home to Sheffield United.

I think Nicky Southall is a bit harsh. I thought he was ok. He was a long way from being the worst ever player on the right. Marshall is also extremely harsh, ok the guy couldn''t kick and he left under a cloud but I also believe he got player of the season the year he left. If it wasn''t for him we may have got relegated to div 2!!

I also remember a youth player from the 93-94 type era. I can''t remember where he played but he was called David Smith, he was very tackle shy. Never made any sort of impression.

Wasn''t there a rumour around at the time that we meant to sign Robbie Earle but got Beckford by mistake?

And I want to know how anyone can criticise Butterworth?  He was a key member of a good squad - oh and what was wrong with Van Wyk (who cares about that penalty - they missed anyway!)?