Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Giving up on motd.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Peresevere through motd to wait to see highlights, only to see a great performance - followed by a montage of goals against us from previous matches - a bit like a slap in the face.

[/quote]Indeed. How dare these suggest that we are struggling defensively at set pieces. The only opinion about our defending that pundits should be allowed to give is in support of Russell Martin.

Perhaps a montage of our slick interplay and quick passing from our games this season would have been just as apt?

LDC is quite correct.

MOTD is a complete waste of space........

As for Sky''s Sunday Supplement..........it is now broken into four or five segments, divided by advert breaks, which allows each segment to cover by turn, Chelsea/Man U/Man City/Arsenal/Liverpool/Sunday games (briefly).

As far as SSS are concerned, the rest of the PL is irrelevant.

unique wrote the following post at 27/09/2015 8:37 AM:

"Perhaps a montage of our slick interplay and quick passing from our games this season would have been just as apt? "

They did say how well we are playing, it was a fair point they made about poor defending.

[quote user="Vanwink"]unique wrote the following post at 27/09/2015 8:37 AM:

"Perhaps a montage of our slick interplay and quick passing from our games this season would have been just as apt? "

They did say how well we are playing, it was a fair point they made about poor defending.[/quote]

My thoughts too, Unique.  Yes, they made a fair point about defending set pieces, but the last thing I expected or wanted to see after a good performance, was a load of goals against us from previous matches.  What do you do - highlight good things or bad things?  I would suggest that if we had lost, then highlight the reasons why, if we won, highlight the reasons for that.  In the event of a draw in yesterday''s match - highlight why we were able to dominate possession and give such a good performance against a West Ham team so near the top of the table, form wise.

There is lots and lots to be optimistic and proud about but the defensive weaknesses are there for all to see. The problem is with the current players this may only be tightened up by reducing our attacking intent and i would not like that to happen. I think we just have to put up with it until we can buy better quality in defense whenever that may be, probably not until next season if we stay up

I thought Danny Murphy gave a fair and balanced view in his assessment of our style of play and weaknesses. He''s probably one of the better pundits that grace MOTD.  

It was a very balanced summary by MOTD today;  praised us for good football and the great start to the season while highlighting the all to obvious defensive concerns and rightly stating that it needs improving - not that the players were not good enough,  just something for us to address.   That is what punditry analysis and commentary is all about.   

Last nights was  simply not wrong biased or unfair - just accurate.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Peresevere through motd to wait to see highlights, only to see a great performance - followed by a montage of goals against us from previous matches - a bit like a slap in the face.

[/quote]How about instead of relying on MOTD etc you actually try going to a game sometime?You might enjoy it..

Coming back on the bus it felt as if we had lost.

It won''t take too much to sort out our defensive frailty, it''s fair to point it out and it''s something we can sort.

It''s getting a bit precious on here.

The point about our defending was made because we chucked away 2 points through poor defending - poor decision by Tettey to tackle when the guy was going nowhere, poor decision by Ruddy to try & punch instead of catch and poor tactical decision not having a defender on the post.

Canary 1902 wrote;

How about instead of relying on MOTD etc you actually try going to a game sometime?

You might enjoy it..

A few on here haven''t been to a match since Wembley (and that was probably their only one last season, Just as well we have Ricardo for CR match synopsis.

I''d rather match choice or goals on sunday over motd. Andy Townsend was on today and make some nice comments about his time at the club. I always assumed he never listed Norwich City on his cv but hey ho.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Peresevere through motd to wait to see highlights, only to see a great performance - followed by a montage of goals against us from previous matches - a bit like a slap in the face.[/quote]Archant probably paid them cos they knew they''d get a thread on here if they did.............

Maybe they focused on the set piece goals against because it was a set piece goal against in added time that cost us 2 points and about 7 spots down the table, making it very much on topic.

On the other hand, previous late goals against us this season have been meaningless to those games in terms of won, drawn or lost.

Why are you so needy? I assume you watch streams of the games, and you obviously see the highlights, so know how well we''re playing? You shouldn''t need MOTD to confirm it for you every week.

Just skip the analysis and you''ll be a much happier camper. They did have a point though. A last minute equaliser is a talking point, and it came from poor set piece defending, again.

I thought the analysis was fair and sensible.

Also it was an easy point for the MOTD pundits to latch onto. It''s not exactly rocket science to spot that we''ve conceded quite a few goals from set pieces so it''s an easy piece of "analysis" for them to show.

We''ve had much worse examples of patronising/disparaging comments from MOTD; the general tone on Saturday was that we''re doing well but this is the main area we need to improve. Which I agree with. Prem teams will certainly try to pressure us even more from set pieces when they see this.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]I thought the analysis was fair and sensible.

Also it was an easy point for the MOTD pundits to latch onto. It''s not exactly rocket science to spot that we''ve conceded quite a few goals from set pieces so it''s an easy piece of "analysis" for them to show.

We''ve had much worse examples of patronising/disparaging comments from MOTD; the general tone on Saturday was that we''re doing well but this is the main area we need to improve. Which I agree with. Prem teams will certainly try to pressure us even more from set pieces when they see this.[/quote]

Agreed.  But wanting to take the positives from the game, as I always try and do, it was galling - for me - to see them show all our set piece goals against from previous matches, rather than extra good play footage from the match itself.  Make the point about set piece goals, by all means, because it is relevant,  but it was unecesary to back up their point with the video they did.    I''d like to see stats about how many goals are scored from set pieces generally in the premier league - a good percentage I should think - so us letting a few in from set pieces - while a concern - may not be much more noteworthy than it is for other clubs. 

Even as the most pessimistic of City fans take great delight to see us perform so well in this league, even against the better ones. However West Ham does feel so bad because we lost it due to awful decisions by key players ( rather like England against Wales) with only seconds to play.

1. Tettey giving away needless free kick with oppo player going nowhere away from goal.

2. From free kick defence decided to line up way too deep not holding a line on edge of box as most teams do.

3. Ruddy clearly seeing a looping slow kick staying on line too long and then very weak punch as ball dropped.

I am sure Alex will point these matters out but the real worry as the MOTD commentators pointed out is it keeps happening and it is always the aerial ball from free kick or corner that causes panic.

We do need to sort this out or it will get exploited!

The trouble with R Martin is he seems to be a far better attacker than defender at present!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]I thought the analysis was fair and sensible.

We''ve had much worse examples of patronising/disparaging comments from MOTD; the general tone on Saturday was that we''re doing well but this is the main area we need to improve. Which I agree with. Prem teams will certainly try to pressure us even more from set pieces when they see this.[/quote]Agreed.  But wanting to take the positives from the game, as I always try and do, it was galling - for me - to see them show all our set piece goals against from previous matches, rather than extra good play footage from the match itself.  Make the point about set piece goals, by all means, because it is relevant,  but it was unecesary to back up their point with the video they did.    I''d like to see stats about how many goals are scored from set pieces generally in the premier league - a good percentage I should think - so us letting a few in from set pieces - while a concern - may not be much more noteworthy than it is for other clubs.  [/quote]If you want to see those stats, then look them up yourself. MOTD pundits are there to give their opinions and analysis, not to tell you the opinion you want.This thread is ridiculous.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]If you want to see those stats, then look them up yourself. MOTD pundits are there to give their opinions and analysis, not to tell you the opinion you want. This thread is ridiculous.[/quote]

a) I''ve looked and can''t find them.  b) I''ve not complained about the pundits - they are right to point out our set piece goals - I''ve complained about the showing of five or six goals against us just after we have put in a really good away performance and rather than show something interesting from the game. c) If you''re going to call a thread ridiculous, at least have the decency to read it properly in the first place so that your opinion has some validity.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]If you want to see those stats, then look them up yourself. MOTD pundits are there to give their opinions and analysis, not to tell you the opinion you want. This thread is ridiculous.[/quote]

a) I''ve looked and can''t find them.  b) I''ve not complained about the pundits - they are right to point out our set piece goals - I''ve complained about the showing of five or six goals against us just after we have put in a really good away performance and rather than show something interesting from the game. c) If you''re going to call a thread ridiculous, at least have the decency to read it properly in the first place so that your opinion has some validity.

[/quote]a) http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/5826/Stages/12496/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016(wasn''t that hard - however you might need to play with the filters to get the exact stat you need.)b) The part of MOTD you''re referring to is directly related to the punditry being provided by Danny Murphy. The video was supporting evidence to add value to his punditry. He was talking though the set piece issue as a voice over to the video montage that annoyed you. The montage and punditry in this instance are one of the same. Would you prefer to look at Danny Murphy''s head, when we could have video evidence supporting exact the point he''s talking about?c) As per the above, I think by comprehension skills are fine. I''m sure you''ll disagree, as in all the years I''ve read this forum, I''ve never seen you ''be wrong''.I look forward to you escalating this into an unnecessary argument, as is standard for you on this forum.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]If you want to see those stats, then look them up yourself. MOTD pundits are there to give their opinions and analysis, not to tell you the opinion you want. This thread is ridiculous.[/quote]a) I''ve looked and can''t find them.  b) I''ve not complained about the pundits - they are right to point out our set piece goals - I''ve complained about the showing of five or six goals against us just after we have put in a really good away performance and rather than show something interesting from the game. c) If you''re going to call a thread ridiculous, at least have the decency to read it properly in the first place so that your opinion has some validity. [/quote]a) http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/5826/Stages/12496/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016(wasn''t that hard - however you might need to play with the filters to get the exact stat you need.)b) The part of MOTD you''re referring to is directly related to the punditry being provided by Danny Murphy. The video was supporting evidence to add value to his punditry. He was talking though the set piece issue as a voice over to the video montage that annoyed you. The montage and punditry in this instance are one of the same. Would you prefer to look at Danny Murphy''s head, when we could have video evidence supporting exact the point he''s talking about?c) As per the above, I think by comprehension skills are fine. I''m sure you''ll disagree, as in all the years I''ve read this forum, I''ve never seen you ''be wrong''.I look forward to you escalating this into an unnecessary argument, as is standard for you on this forum.[/quote] 

a) Thank you for the link.b) The pundits had already made their point about conceding from free kicks before the montage. c)  I will disagree, but then I am bound to support my own opinion. d)  Have a nice day.

Hoolahan displayed tremendous skill in the build up to two of the goals against Sunderland, yet not a mention on MOTD. If it had been de Bruyne, Rooney, Silva etc, the pundits would have been salivating endlessly and repeating the footage ad nauseum.

They could have shown why or how Norwich are playing so well and why they are not the pushovers that all the pundits were predicting at the beginning of the season.

I don''t suppose for one moment that Norwich are the only team conceding from set pieces, I''m guessing that corners and free kicks yield a good percentage of goals scored.

[quote user="unique"]Hoolahan displayed tremendous skill in the build up to two of the goals against Sunderland, yet not a mention on MOTD. If it had been de Bruyne, Rooney, Silva etc, the pundits would have been salivating endlessly and repeating the footage ad nauseum.

They could have shown why or how Norwich are playing so well and why they are not the pushovers that all the pundits were predicting at the beginning of the season.

I don''t suppose for one moment that Norwich are the only team conceding from set pieces, I''m guessing that corners and free kicks yield a good percentage of goals scored.[/quote]

You are right.  To clear this up - I''ve looked at the stats as provided by Theoklitis and it appears that between 1/4 and a 1/3 of all goals scored are from set pieces.    According to that site, we ourselves have scored between a 1/4 and 1/3 our goals from set pieces.  We have let in one or two more than we should from there - and it will be addressed , I''m sure - but making it an issue worthy of the video they showed in preference to showing some of our good play, was poor.   We didn''t lose the match and dominated  West Ham possession . I''m sure they could have showed some video of the reasons why that was

the case, rather than drag old footage up from previous weeks.  Good to point out there is an improvement to be made, but no need to back it up the way they did. 

Less fashionable clubs get precious little from the pundits and so called experts - most of whom spent most of their careers at "big" clubs - and their patronising approach to clubs that are less fashionable, is apparent nearly every week.   I wouldn''t have minded them showing the goals they did if we were losing every week and sittng rock bottom to these set piece goals - it would be slightly more relevant  - but overall, they could start highlighting some of our good play, of which there has been plenty.  That is why I was so narked watching motd.  I just won''t bother in future and will wait to see highlights elsewhere.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="unique"]Hoolahan displayed tremendous skill in the build up to two of the goals against Sunderland, yet not a mention on MOTD. If it had been de Bruyne, Rooney, Silva etc, the pundits would have been salivating endlessly and repeating the footage ad nauseum.

I don''t suppose for one moment that Norwich are the only team conceding from set pieces, I''m guessing that corners and free kicks yield a good percentage of goals scored.[/quote]

You are right.  To clear this up - I''ve looked at the stats as provided by Theoklitis and it appears that between 1/4 and a 1/3 of all goals scored are from set pieces.    According to that site, we ourselves have scored between a 1/4 and 1/3 our goals from set pieces.  We have let in one or two more than we should from there - and it will be addressed , I''m sure - but making it an issue worthy of the video they showed in preference to showing some of our good play, was poor.   We didn''t lose the match and dominated  West Ham possession . I''m sure they could have showed some video of the reasons why that was

the case, rather than drag old footage up from previous weeks.  Good to point out there is an improvement to be made, but no need to back it up the way they did. 

Less fashionable clubs get precious little from the pundits and so called experts - most of whom spent most of their careers at "big" clubs - and their patronising approach to clubs that are less fashionable, is apparent nearly every week.   I wouldn''t have minded them showing the goals they did if we were losing every week and sittng rock bottom to these set piece goals - it would be slightly more relevant  - but overall, they could start highlighting some of our good play, of which there has been plenty.  That is why I was so narked watching motd.  I just won''t bother in future and will wait to see highlights elsewhere.

[/quote]Not sure how you got to those numbers mate. Did you even read the site? [;)]37 out of 182 goals in the Premier League have come from set pieces - roughly 20% or 2 in 10.5 out of 12 Norwich City goals in the Premier League have come from set pieces - roughly 40% or 4 in 10.Probably something worth talking about on a TV show - especially when 2 of those goals (West Ham & Stoke) cost us wins. An extra 4 points, and we''d be 4th.I guess some people just prefer to have smoke constantly blown up their ar$e.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="unique"]Hoolahan displayed tremendous skill in the build up to two of the goals against Sunderland, yet not a mention on MOTD. If it had been de Bruyne, Rooney, Silva etc, the pundits would have been salivating endlessly and repeating the footage ad nauseum.

[/quote]Not sure how you got to those numbers mate. Did you even read the site? [;)]37 out of 182 goals in the Premier League have come from set pieces - roughly 20% or 2 in 10.5 out of 12 Norwich City goals conceded in the Premier League have come from set pieces - roughly 40% or 4 in 10.Probably something worth talking about on a TV show - especially when 2 of those goals (West Ham & Stoke) cost us wins. An extra 4 points, and we''d be 4th.I guess some people just prefer to have smoke constantly blown up their ar$e.[/quote]*** EDIT BUTTON ***