Sign in to follow this  
Stylish Canary

Realistically How long can we keep AN

He had done a remarkable and that is sure to spark the interest of the bigger clubs.

The question is how long can little ole Norwich hold onto him or will he stay loyal to the Club that gave him his big break!

If he is as honest and straight as he seems then he may decide to stay for a long term project to be loyal to the club. It will be up to him.

I don''t think raising this as an issue is at all helpful. It can create a problem that at the moment is not there.

End of this season.
If we do well, he''ll go somewhere bigger.
If we get relegated, no doubt the general board consensus would be to get rid of him and "clueless", "negative Neil", "the baldy tosspot must go", "He''s worse than Hitler!", "Bring back Houghton" threads would all start in earnest.
Let''s enjoy it while it lasts.

Why anyone is so insecure that they are worrying about AN going at this stage, is beyond me - unless indeed they are just out to cause trouble.   We have to learn to enjoy what is happening now. If he does well, then the club is doing well - and that is all that matters.  He has shown loyalty at his previous club, so he could be looking at this as a long term project for him and if the club can increase it''s stature under him and we become an Everton style top ten club, pushing towards the top six, then he could be here for a long time.  I hope so, but if we do great this season and he gets an offer he can''t refuse - well good luck to him.   Loyalty is rare these days in football, but it does happen and it would be great if we had another real long term manager, the likes of which we haven''t seen since the 1980''s.

It''s probably a question which has crossed many a Canary mind as AN goes from strength to strength, but it''s none the less a bit premature.

The first hurdle is for us to get a footing back in the Premier League, and in early days we seem to be managing this.

Realistically then we might aspire to becoming a Southampton or even a Swansea.

Unrealistically, I suppose, we might aspire to even better.

Then only then will the so-called big boys come sniffing, IMO, especially as they seem hypnotised by a foreign name.

Only Liverpool amongst them have a home-grown (of sorts) manager and Brenda is very vulnerable at the moment with another import seemingly waiting in the wings.

With this scenario two successful seasons after this could be the marker and I would hope we avoid the messy end that characterised Lambert''s farewell, if indeed AN is inclined to move on (ie. up.)

Like (as with) Paul Lambert, or unlike Paul Lambert really, our Club is owed a certain degree of loyalty even in the cut and thrust professional environment as it exists today.

Historically though we have not been much of a stepping stone for managers.

John Bond, Mike Walker and Paul Lambert have all floundered once accepting the (forbidden) fruit.

Ron Saunders couldn''t have been more successful though, but I can''t recall the circumstances of his leaving.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Historically though we have not been much of a stepping stone for managers.

John Bond, Mike Walker and Paul Lambert have all floundered once accepting the (forbidden) fruit.

Ron Saunders couldn''t have been more successful though, but I can''t recall the circumstances of his leaving.[/quote]

He left after a boardroom row.  A cloud with a siver lining, because the manager who followed him revolutionised the club......  

Yes, I''ve just checked the oracle.

He did ok at Manchester City, but was fired pretty quickly.

He won the League at Villa and his team won the biggy under Tony Barton.

Not much after that, but even so this great step forward often seems like greater step backwards for many an ambitious manager. Brendan Rodgers next?

I''m sure we have all had the thought, simply because most feel we are on the cusp of something special, and there is a good chance that we will end up being a stepping stone onto bigger things for Sir Alex.

However, IMO, he is made of decent stuff, and won''t be in a rush to look at anything too soon, his relationship with the Board and Mr McNally appears to be really strong, and i would hazard a guess that loyalty is an important attribute to AN.

And finally i would think that he has to have a min of 1-2 seasons in the PL before the big boys start sniffing, and even to the likes of Sunderland he is still unproven. Personally i am looking forward to the next 5 years with him at the helm of our club.

If we do well under AN then we are the big boys too, sound financially and would be progressing.

An strikes me as a smart fella and may well see that , as a Club, we are headed in the right direction, given a few years like S''hampton and Swans we too could be playing in the Europa League( mixed blessing, i know).

The only real step up from there is a Champions League Club.

So, to answer your question, my opinion is that he will stay at least 3 more seasons if we continue to improve and match his ambitions...for us.

I agree its premature, but it''s also very interesting to debate.

I think the key question is progression. With Lambert it was easy to see it, but with AN it will be much more difficult.

Assuming we survive in say, around 14th/15th place. What about next year? Logically "progression" means an increase in league position, but if you cut out the top 6 positions, it only leaves a swim lane of 7 or 8 places to play in. Do we and the Board expect a league improvement year on year or, if we finish 11th for 3 seasons in a row do the murmerings start about going stale? I would argue not as that would be good for City with the way football is now, but it may be seen by others as some sort of sterility.

I think in that situation he would leave of his own volition for a new challenge, but likely to be at a supposed bigger club needing reinvigoration- again the likes of Villa, Newcastle, possibly Spurs may be possible destinations. But I''d be surprised if he went to a club already comfortable in mid/upper table as it is likely to be harder to take them to the next level up.

If we get relegated, then I think much depends on the circumstances and when. But obviously it would be hard for him to survive, hopefully that is academic.

And finally if we genuinely overachieve and get into the Europa League or win a cup final then I would imagine that there will be a lot of interest and he will find it hard to resist that. We''ve seen with Lambert how quickly things can go wrong and managers lead a dangerous life, so who could blame him for seizing the chance to manage one of the really top names- he may never get the chance again and like any of us with our own jobs if someone offers you something amazing you would be brave to refuse.

So a long winded way of saying I have no idea how long we can keep him as it all just depends month by month.

We stay up this year and improve next season, the vultures will come circling. Why wouldn''t they?

He''s one of the brightest managers in this country, extremely driven and ambitious.

Any time we get after 16/17 is a bonus.

Can''t see AN moving this season maybe Newcastle but remember Villa and Lambert, I am sure he wants to establish some sort of career progression before taking a bigger club and its problems. Would a club similar to City appeal I don''t think so.

AN to be here at least 3 seasons even if relegation happens. If successful he will move most surely.

One problem could be the Board and McNally who fell out with Lambert or depriving AN of funds as we continue to line director pockets.

[quote user="pete"]Can''t see AN moving this season maybe Newcastle but remember Villa and Lambert, I am sure he wants to establish some sort of career progression before taking a bigger club and its problems. Would a club similar to City appeal I don''t think so. AN to be here at least 3 seasons even if relegation happens. If successful he will move most surely. One problem could be the Board and McNally who fell out with Lambert or depriving AN of funds as we continue to line director pockets.[/quote]

You were doing so well, making good sensible points and then you had to go and spoil it all with that last sentence.

How do you expect anyone to treat you seriously when you let yourself down so badly?

AN has said that he wants to establish a ''dynasty'' here which suggests that he''s looking long-term. At 34, in his first season in the PL, I can''t see him attracting the interest of the big boys yet. Too risky for them. Most of the mid-table teams have settled managers doing well, which leaves the lower third struggling against relegation.

Would he really want to go to Newcastle to start all over again, working under the whims of Mike Ashley? I doubt it. He has now cleverly assembled a squad which very much suits his tactical approach which has done well and I suspect will do even better in the future. He''s not impatient, like Lambert, and his career development shows a lot of loyalty. As long as we can give him the support he needs, I can''t see him leaving any time soon.

For as long as he maintains his current drive and constant need to do better! As long as he has these characteristics and the club continue to improve and move forward and back him why can''t he be here for another 10 years?

He''s 33/34, he could have another 35 years in management. Unless one of the top 6 clubs coming knock, which is very unlikely at this stage but can change, why does he need to go anywhere else?

He can really build our club and we have to look now further than lambert as what can happen. He should learn from that and stay on the journey with us as long as he can! This club has huge potential as long as he is manager