Sign in to follow this  
KoromaCrab

Would Carrow Road be better if it was fully enclosed?

I don''t think people realise the extent that the gap in the corner has on the acoustics of the stadium.  If it was enclosed, the volume levels would seem much louder as the sound reverberates around. As it is, some of the sound escapes because of the gap.  Imo, it is an important part of the development of CR to get this sorted.    That, plus the extending of the City Stand to match the height of the other stands, are the two major elements that would make CR into one of the most intimidating of stadiums for visiting teams.  It might be expensive, but it is something that the club will need to address if it means to develop into an established PL club with a capacity to match.  I''ve said before that it would take strong will and determination to get the corner gap sorted - but it could be done, in the process adding several hundred seats.   There are problems, but where there is a will, there is a way.  Expense, the problem of away fans, the hotel, the access to the pitch for vehicles, are just a few.  But to answer the op, the answer is yes - it would be much better.   Each time I visit CR and getting a seat in various parts of the ground on different occasions, I have found that sitting near the away fans in the Jarrold is not condusive to a good match experience - because compared to other parts of the ground, it feels (to me) as if you are cut off from the rest of the Norwich fans because the noise of the away fans  dominates.   In fact, I won''t consider getting a seat again in the Jarrold because of it.  Acoustically, (imo) the best part of the ground is around the snake pit and the adjoining Barclay and City stands in that corner.   The other two filled in corners aren''t as good, but the atmosphere is good there, simply because of people all around you.  The end of the Barclay near the gap is noisy when you are in there, but you don''t half feel as if that sometimes, you are the only ones making a noise in the stadium - and that is precisely because of the gap.  Even the away fans don''t sound so loud in that end of the Barclay.  Expense or not, it should be a priority to get something done about it imo.

If the corner stand was built in place of the Hotel, who would sit there? Which type of fans would move there? More loud Barclay fans (like an opposite Snakepit) or move the away fans into there to allow more room for the Norwich fans to take over the Jerrold stand.

Put the away supporters in there but make the acoustics poor to negate the volume. Could we do this who owns the land on which hotel sits if still City no problem ?

[quote user="lake district canary"]I don''t think people realise the extent that the gap in the corner has on the acoustics of the stadium.  If it was enclosed, the volume levels would seem much louder as the sound reverberates around. As it is, some of the sound escapes because of the gap.[/quote]By that reckoning, a roof is essential. [:S]

I believe at the time a study was done into both both the hotel was supposedly the more financially beneficial option but the owners of the hotel actually went bust! I believe as part of the process of the hotel being taken over the land was actually sold to a consortium who own the land and the hotel and run it as a franchise. Don''t take this as fact though, I''m sure there are others on here who have a much better knowledge of the deal than I do.

Long and short - if we don''t own the land we can''t do anything anyway. And as it stands with the design of the hotel we would not be able to build a stand, even temporary, in front of it anyway

Those of us that remember the old Barclay corner stand with the South stand will confirm that it added greatly to the noise generated in that area

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Those of us that remember the old Barclay corner stand with the South stand will confirm that it added greatly to the noise generated in that area[/quote]

[Y] In the days of standing, it was an incredilke atmosphere in that part of the ground.

I won''t be thanked by some for this link, but if you have a couple of hours to spend and if you haven''t seen it before, there is quite a lot of information that comes out about the subject of the hotel on it. http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/2931295/ShowPost.aspx

The Carrow Road wiki says there''s a 150 year lease on the hotel that started in 07. Would we have to buy out of that? I Don''t have a clue about this sort of thing.