Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

It's fair to say that Wessi has had an awesome start to the season

I would say he is currently the early front runner for POTS. Hopefully he can keep it up it would be good to see him get it after so many years at the club.

This is quite an interesting article about him

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/wes-is-as-young-a-33yearold-as-ive-seen-31506598.html

Wessie has always been awesome in my eyes and as I said at the start of last season he''s always be on my team sheet. Those who said he woudn''t fit into some formations or was a luxury must be feeling quite silly now lol lol. Alex and I think alike because he loves him too lol

[quote user="mre2"]I would say he is currently the early front runner for POTS. Hopefully he can keep it up it would be good to see him get it after so many years at the club.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/wes-is-as-young-a-33yearold-as-ive-seen-31506598.html[/quote]Good article (especially that he''s going to hang around), but who the hell calls him "Weso"? Is that an Irish thing?

[quote user="mre2"]I would say he is currently the early front runner for POTS. Hopefully he can keep it up it would be good to see him get it after so many years at the club.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/wes-is-as-young-a-33yearold-as-ive-seen-31506598.html[/quote]Thanks for posting that link. It''s much appreciated, and a very good read.I''m wondering if Wes will be able to go on a little longer than  most pros. That article references quotes from O''Neil about him being ''lightly raced'', which is probably a good point. However another point I''d argue is - with the role he plays, he doesn''t need to rely on speed or power, which are arguably the types of traits that start to diminish as mid-30''s approach. Wes''s greatest assets - his skill and stature around the edge of the box - arguably fade later if at all. The way he''s playing, I can see no reason why we can''t get another 3 or 4 years out of him.

Wes has confounded his critics, of which I was one until last season.  His inconsistencies have mostly been ironed out - and he is more likely to use the ball well, rather than do what he used to do which was hold on to the ball too long, going round in ever decreasing circles.    His movement and attitude are more direct and as a result he is much more effective - and he is more prepared to take on a shot.  A lot of this improvement has been building over the last few years - good in a 442 under Lambert, he was good in the role behind Grant Holt when Hughton occasionally deigned to use him there and was good a lot of the time under Adams - but has absolutely found his best form under AN, who has the happy ability to get the best out of his players.  Take nothing away from Wes though, he has shown the desire and the aptitude to carry on improving his performance - and that is great to see in any player. 

I''ve always been a massive fan but he''s definitely improved since AN has joined us - he''s reading the game better and using the ball better too, but also he''s less easily pushed off the ball than last time we were in the Prem. Nice to see him on the scoresheet.

Great to have a player in the side who was with us when we went down to L1. Definitely think he can contribute for another couple of years, hopefully a bit more, for the reasons mentioned.

He is playing excellently. my biggest worry with him now though is I believe he''s out of contract at the end of this season and if he keeps this form up I can see other prem clubs trying to lure him away from us in January for a last lucrative payday. Contract extension now please Mr McNally.

Re: Wes''s contract, I think he signed a 2-year extension in 2014; Sky seemed to think it takes him to the end of 2016-7 season, in this article http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11709/9409884/sky-bet-championship-wes-hoolahan-signs-two-year-contract-extension-at-norwich-city

but others seem to think it took him to 2016. Perhaps it us another of those ones we seem keen on where we have a 1year option? We certainly want to look at giving him an extension if he is due to leave; IMO he has come on big-time in the last season or so.

It was described as a two year extension or a further two years but my recollection is that when you actually read the story it was an improved contract for one extra year. Hopefully I am wrong and we''ve got at least two years of him left. Would love to see him stay long enough to have a testimonial.

If you''re right I''d say that''s a top priority!

His creativity always reminds me of Ian Crook, another City player with massive talent who didn''t get much recognition (despite playing in Europe in his case!). After Crook left we never really replaced him and the result was years on the 2nd tier.

I wonder. Wes will be 34 at the end of this contract. Perhaps we could extend it another year to avoid upset in January? Any longer could well be a huge gamble which looks worth it now but would look anything but if he was 36 or older and taking up an important part of our player budget while not playing. It''s a tough one for sure.

I do hope we get him signed up for another year soon, he deserves it. Think this is his 8th season with us isn''t it?

Talking of how long Wes could go on for at the top level, Jonny Giles, another great Irish midfielder, was a similar height to Wes - around 1.70m - and although a little stockier than Wes, played at the top level to the age of 37.  Being lighter build should help Wes go on at least as long as that, if he wants to.

I don''t think he will be looking to leave anyway. From the article I posted yesterday he doesn''t strike me as someone that is very ambitious. I think the Villa thing a couple of years ago was due to him not playing regular. As long as he is a regular in the side he is going to be happy, so I''m not concerned about him being poached.

At the moment Weso can do the business, when he no longer can, i''d love to see him teach youngsters his art. Its a rare and beautiful thing.

I don''t think what he has can be taught. If he can pass on hints and tips, then fantastic, but he has the rarity of natural footballing talent.