Sign in to follow this  
pete

Hows Mulumbu coming along?

Last I heard was just starting gentle running about 10 days ago any latest info? Was hoping might be available after latest international break.

For what it''s worth physioroom have him returning on 24th October and they usually aren''t too far away. He''ll obviously need some time to get up to match speed after that though.

It will be interesting to see where he fits in the team. Obviously a quality player, but in Tettey and Howson, we have two players who have been superb so far, plus throw Dorrans and O''Neil in the mix who have been consistent.

I wonder who AN sees Mulumbu as competition for. Is he a Tettey upgrade?

He''s a defensive midfielder so yes, I''d say direct competition for Tettey. Arguably better with the ball than Tettey too.

Would guess he would be a straight replacement for Tetty for games when we play one holding player and would play alongside Tetty when we play some of the better teams, particularly away from home.

Tetty and Howson will play less often (obvious I guess if there is an extra central midfielder available) but still be an important part of the squad.

Looking forward to him finally playing, I thought of a bit of a cheesy song for him aswell

Tune from jungle book

Mulumbu I wanna play like you ooo ooo

I wanna pass like you

Shoot like you

Mulumbu

Didn''t think of it that way but now you say it could be taken offensively

I first thought of it for geroud at arsenal and Mulumbu was the only city players name I could think of that fit

It doesn''t offend me but these days you have to think of the pc brigade else they start crying, the in the jungle mbokani chant was done by villa fans about benteke and was all over the Internet with no problems but I''ve decided against trying to start a sing along in the snake pit

...so it''s also another phrase for standing up for vulnerable people. Okay. Got it!

Going back to Mulumbu, there are several options. Because of his mobility, Tettey works very well as the DM in AN''s tactical approach (as described in Parma''s Masterclass 9 thread). Mulumbu can do that job as well, but with less mobility. He can, however, also play as the deep play-maker as an alternative to Howson (or Dorrans or Odjidja-Ofoe, given our depth there) in away games, especially against top 6 teams. If so, Howson can move forward as he did against Liverpool. This gives AN a big advantage as it allows him to choose the best option to counteract opposing players on the day either as a starter or as a tactical substitution.

From pre-season he looked a dead cert for a starting place, but with Dorrans forcing his way back into the side of a regular basis, the only player you could possibly drop is Tettey - and that would be harsh on his performances lately. Mulumbu like anyone else in the squad will have to work his way back in there, which is a testament to the squad put together by AN and McNally - the level of competition is crazy for a lower half Prem-side. The amount of Prem experience in there is incredible.

[quote user="Six Pack"]How about loaning him out to Rotherham to get him up to speed?

No one is sure he is better than Tettey.[/quote]Personally, I''ve always struggled to see what the fuss is with Tettey, but unlike some on here, I''m happy to acknowledge that I don''t know much about football and bow to the majority view. Would be nice to see a DM who can pick a pass though.

Tettey''s role is perhaps the one area that''s uncontested at the moment. Mulumbu''s passing ability and Premier League experience will certainly give AN something extra in that area. I reckon (guess) we''ll have to wait another 6-8 weeks though.

The good news is our midfield as it is looks strong, with lots of competition for starting places.

It''d be good to have both Tettey and Mulumbu available when we go to Man City at the end of the month. There will be times when we need them both. O''Neil can also do a job at DM of course.

Mulumbu is probably the best midfield player we have - He will be a regular once fit - An exciting second half of the season ahead!

At the Presser this morning, AN confirmed that Mulumbu is back in training ''on the grass'' with the squad and making good progress. Early days still, but looking hopeful.