Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Jerome is a championship striker

When we signed Jerome my mate, a palace season ticket holder, said "he will run everywhere and do everything...except score goals at this level. He was the unluckiest player we ever had. But ultimately he is not prem standard but will do really well in the championship"

I have seen nothing to prove otherwise. Gives his all, top professional but just lacks the finesse at this level and misses more than he scores. I don''t think he should be our first choice striker this season..

He may well have a fight on his hands to keep his starting place once Mbokani gets up to full match fitness. Neil was happy to replace him with Grabban when the goals dried up at the end of the last campaign too.

Considering all these championship quality players we have filling our squad it''s surprising how well we''re doing.

When people are concerned the striker isn''t scoring because they are from the 14th century

"England will be playin four, four fuggin two!"

I''d still have him above Elmander, RVW and, to an extent, Hooper.

So he is still a better option than the ''premier league'' strikers we had last time out.

We should also take note of the fact he is a lone striker and his main role is to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game. As such its more about the team scoring goals and that we are doing.

Always said Jerome is a limited striker. Mbokani, although badly one-footed, is a much better striker. I am concvinced about that, if he is given a fair chance to play.

Give Mbokani 4-5 games as a starter, and we will see the difference.

Having clinical strikers is very important in this league.

We should have been 3-0 up before Sakho scored.

Wasted 2 points from the usual failure to deal with aerial pressure.

He''s done OK in the role required of him, but the fact we were in for Destro, Adobe, Gayle, Walters and Naismith suggests AN did want more firepower.

[quote user="grefstad"]Mbokani, although badly one-footed.....[/quote]So was Bradley Johnson. Didn''t stop him being our top goal scorer last season though. [:S]

He is a far far better option than we had in our relegation season and his hold up play brings in the midfield who are scoring. I think he will get us about 8 or 10 in that role which should be fine if the defense tighten up

Cam was dead unlucky with a volley yesterday which nearly laid their keeper out.He''ll do okay, no sweat.

Jerome clearly is a prem standard striker - you dont get the number of seasons or appearances at this level without being good enough for a succession of clubs to buy and use you.   He is an excellent enabler of goals from others on the pitch,  helping us defend from the front,  bring others into play but most importantly intelligently move defenders around for the midfielders to have the space they need to score. 

That ability is hugely important and why we have scored enough goals to sit on 9 points rather than 5 that the volume of conceeded goals should probably have us on.

What he is not is a clinical finisher - as we have seen again this season - he was a little unlucky with the face save though.

He remains head and shoulders the best striker at the club and one to keep starting 

I am sure that AN tells Jerome the same thing every week in training. His role is to score all our goals so we don''t have to rely on our mid-fielders and defenders scoring goals to keep us up.

Actually I don''t know why AN doesn''t play Russell Martin up front as he seems to know where the back of the net is.

To be fair to Jerome he should absolutely be on 2 goals, and has had some pretty decent saves made against him. I''m not certain he will keep his starting place when Mbokani is fully firing - but I''d be very happy having him in reserve.

So we''re struggling for goals are we?

Jerome is doing just fine in his role as a lone striker.

If you added ''prolific goalscorer'' to Jeromes list of attributes he wouldn''t be playing for Norwich. For example Hooper is a more of a natural finisher than Jerome, but is his all round game better? No chance. Jerome is always willing to the run flanks, hustle defenders, hold up the ball and create space for other players. He never gives defenders a moments rest.

Scoring goals and attacking football has been the highlight of our season thus far so its beyond me how anybody can question our first choice striker.

Name me a striker with Jeromes abilty that can bang in 30+ goals a season, and that will sign for Norwich? Diego Costa come on down?

ZippersLeftFoot said:

"He remains head and shoulders the best striker at the club and one to keep starting"

Agree 100%. And head and shoulders above Grabban almost literally. The play-off final goal, the disallowed overhead - he scores great goals and I always think we drop a gear when he is taken off for Grabban. Would like to see Lafferty and Hooper come into the reckoning but to suggest CJ is not up to it at this level is daft.

Which begs the question.

Have we ever had a Premier League striker since Lambert first got us up?

To my recollection there has been, Holt, Jackson, Morison,

a fledgling Harry Kane, Kamara, Wolfswinkle, Elmander, Hooper and Grabban as our strikers since that time.

Of these Grant Holt at his very best is the only player I would put before Jerome in a starting line-up.

Fingers crossed with Mbokani and I think we have the best strike-force we have had since Darren Huckerby and Dean Ashton graced the team.

Last week we had Russell Martin pilloried by some.Now Jerome has been singled out whilst Mbokaniwas written off after twenty minutes.

Both Ruddy and Tettey have been in for it as well after yesterday.

I can moan with the best of them but, considering our start and the way we have been playing I am a very content budgie at the moment and therefore have preferences, rather than scapegoats with regards to the present squad.

But for one extremely hopeless referee we could well be one or three points better off by now, and Jerome would have a brace to his name, and deservedly so.

City dont have "strikers" but "forwards", theres a difference and many in this topic have explained that. Alex likes to deploy a lone forward up front who does more than just stand around and poach. Jerome is 100% premiership quality forward. Citys style is to score goals from many different players and long may it continue. Dont care who scores frankly as long as we are getting goals, we are very lucky to have Jerome, Mbokani, Lafferty and also Grabban and Hooper.

You forgot Chrissy Martin and fan favourites Luciano Becchio and James Vaughan.

And Felixfan what warrants a player getting your title of "Premier League striker"? I''m presuming it''s being a prolific goalscorer? If so the Premier League is full of strikers that aren''t "Premier League strikers".

"You forgot Chrissy Martin and fan favourites Luciano Becchio and James Vaughan."

Yes thanks. Those three further add to the argument, and I also agree with the previous posting, which again enhances the case in favour of Jerome.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]To my recollection there has been, Holt, Jackson, Morison,

a fledgling Harry Kane, Kamara, Wolfswinkle, Elmander, Hooper and Grabban as our strikers since that time.

Of these Grant Holt at his very best is the only player I would put before Jerome in a starting line-up. [/quote]
Well said, I completely agree.

Grant Holt was a 27 year old journeyman League 2 striker when we signed him from Shrewsbury. He didn''t do too badly in the Premier League did he? So why should Jerome not be able to prosper at this level? After all, we are now playing a more attacking style of football, as we did under PL, and Jerome is big enough and strong enough to play the lone striker role which seems to be favoured these days.

Jerome is a valuable player to have. He runs and does the dirty stuff for you and brings others into play. What you see is what you get from him. He''s never been a goalscorer in this league so why should he start now. Despite this he''s valuable, yet we were also right to get in a striker that has a proven record at a high level, I expect Mbokani to take his chance when he hopefully starts the next game. We''re lucky to have Jerome when last time in the PL all we had to play the lone striker was either RVW or Elmander.