Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Beautiful city

Back in Leicester now after 2 days in Norwich. Got over that crap display by touring the cathedral , castle and more drinking hot spots this lunch time. Never lived in Norwich and never will but appreciation of this city just grows every visit.

[Y] Have to say that the city I knew growing up has changed - and mostly for the better.  Walking alongside the river to the stadium from Foundry Bridge used to be a trapse alongside old warehouses and railway workings, run down and industrial.  Comparing that to what it is now is like chalk and cheese with the well thought out riverside development.  The shopping area of the city is more relaxed and pleasant than ever it was, with the traffic free zones and the big shopping malls non-obtrusive and cleverly designed - and everything is within easy walking distance.  I''ve lived and worked all over England and have yet to see a city that can compare to Norwich. York is easy to walk round too and very historic, as is Durham, but  Norwich is way out in front in so many ways.   Carlisle is improving and quite pleasant to visit these days, but like most cities, it is not a patch on Norwich.

Who ever wants to live in Leicester no contrast to our lovely city and as you say some lovely places to visit not just in Norwich but also in Norfolk

I left Norwich just before I was 8 and cried for weeks before we left. I was born there it''ll forever be my home despite being so different 35 years later. I have lived in many places since then but never felt home. My football team is the closest feeling of home I get. OTBC

I left when I was 5 but always came back to the area for football and short holidays, spent youth and teenage years schooling in Devon but as lovely as it is it just ain''t Norfolk, spent most of my working life moving all over the country for work and relationships but 2 years ago managed to get a transfer with work back to Norwich, I''m not planning on moving again. I worked out the house I''m living in is the 25 different place I''ve lived in 35 years on the planet, crazy

I''m a foreigner, but having supported Norwich for nearly 30 years, I have been to the city countless times, and I have also been a lot around in England/UK in other cities, small and large.

I''ve been to places like Bristol, Southampton, Swansea, Blackburn, Leeds, Nottingham, Derby, Leicester, Southend, Liverpool, Manchester, and many, many more over the years. Even seen reserve team football played in places like Altrincham on a wet Tuesday afternoon in November (0-0 ofcourse).

Norwich is by far one of the better cities to visit.

Very nice city centre, easy to stroll around, and it generally gives a visitor a good feeling about the place.

A lot to see, and I remember very well the first time I went to Norwich. Visited the historic sites ofcourse, cathedral, the castle, wandering around in the city, strolling by the river and the canal boats, and being Norwegian, I have a pull for hillsides, so had to "explore" Mousehold Heath as well. Although it is by no means any hillside in Norwegian terms, it provides a great view of the city.

The Riverside developments have been very good, although I''m not a big fan of the big, open spaces around Morrisons, car parks, etc. But somewhere, this has to be located as well. Hopefully, the area around Carrow Road can be turned into more living space as the years go by.

In general, "the fine city" deserves it''s name. One of the better cities in England, for sure.

Came here in the early 90''s when based near here for work. Settled in NR1 after I left the forces, and I will never leave, there isn''t a finer place to live anywhere.And having been to Leicester, I can understand why you are so taken with Norwich.

Born and bred in Norwich, I spent much of my working life away from the City for "career reasons" in the north and, mainly, London and the South East. I always returned regularly for home games and always thought of it as "home." My wife, a northerner that I met in Norwich (UEA) shares my view of the City and like many others we eventually decided to move back a few years ago. A great move - I think that some of the people who have lived in Norwich all their lives take the City for granted. Having lived in a number of Towns/ Cities, there is nowhere that comes close in my experience. JB Priestly said in his "English Journey" that Norwich shouldn''t be compared to other cities but to Norwich and Paris;"Norwich is really a capital, the capital of East Anglia."

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]What area around carrow road do you hope gets turned into accommodation grefstad?[/quote]

The Morrisons / shopping area. Don''t like it much, but it''s got to be somewhere...

The late John Peel once said that Norwich has a continental feel to it. I suppose the history of having French and Belgians migrate here has something to do with it, along with the isolated location. And having been to Bruge and one or two places in Holland, I can see exactly what John Peel meant.

We have the Norwich Society to thank for the preservation of many of the historic buildings that remain. The over zealous slum clearance of the 1930''s swept away some of the good along with most of the bad. We almost lost Elm Hill, which only survived the clearances by a single vote. Even after seventy years I am still discovering things I never knew about my native City.I was born and have lived in Norwich all my life and although I have visited many interesting places I have always been thankful for my good fortune.

Where is that Redderz? Norwich Cathedral is ancient but St Johns wasn''t completed until the 20th century or so I''m led to believe.

Cracking views from the top though, lucky enough to have been up there about 25 years ago.

Yes Duncan St Johns. Building started in1882 the same year that the first stone was laid at the Sagrada Familia.St Johns completed in 1910...........The Sagrada ?????

[quote user="grim reaper"]Yes Duncan St Johns. Building started in1882 the same year that the first stone was laid at the Sagrada Familia.St Johns completed in 1910...........The Sagrada ?????[/quote]
mañana....mañana[;)]

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]I worked out the house I''m living in is the 25 different place I''ve lived in 35 years on the planet, crazy[/quote]That''s an awful lot of evictions and ASBO''s. [:S][;)] [:D]

Norwich is indeed a fine city to both visit and live (I came here with a job move 22 years ago), I originate from Edinburgh which is an amazing place, but also a lot of area''s most tourists never see, Having lived in Devon for a number of years I can a lot of similarity between Norwich and Exeter, a great place to live and a great place to return to when visiting other cities.

I''m Cornish by birth and proud of it. My whole family come from Cornwall, but with my father joining the RAF we left the place and throughout my childhood was ''posted'' from one RAF Base to the next until we got to Norwich when I was 10 years old. I then spent my informative years in the fine city until I left school and joined the Royal Navy. But when ever I can, I''ve always visited Norwich, now I''m married and have kids they have all fallen in love with this fine City, but unfortunately we all live away. 

Norwich is a peaceful, quiet city that has its own magic. I used to walk down by the cathedral with the cobblestones al l around with my lady and even though the city centre is just a stone''s throw away (no pun intended.. honest), you could hear a pin drop. Whenever Id stay up overnight for a midweek game (I''m from Kent) id always get that tinge of sadness when I had to get the train back home the next morning. Stirs the emotions does that ol Fine City :)