Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

What's the furthest you have travelled to watch city in this country

Mine was Newcastle in Oct 1972 we left carrow road at some ridiculous early time on the social club supporters coach ,got held up in traffic ,the trip seemed to take forever,when we arrived it was 10 mins to kick off so the driver dropped us at the ground ,it was freezing cold and the noise in the stadium was deafening ,we lost 3-1 with Bobby moncur scoring twice ,we did not perform well , we got back on the coach and got back about midnight ! . These were the days I went to all matches home and away as it was not overpriced as it is today. Well done to all the away supporters who will travel up there.

Just bought tickets for Newcastle away and also Everton away in the cup. Not sure which is further, both will be a slog!

On the subject of price I think they are doing cheap tickets for the Newcastle game.

I did Yeovil in the FA Cup.

Cardiff (although technically not adhering to the OPs question)

Sunderland (Roker Park) a couple of times, including a midweek Cup tie (only 1 Club Canary Coach), when half way through the game, the local Bobbies took off to the Home end to try and deal with a load of Newcastle fans who obviously were bored, and fancied a bundle with their rivals.

Preston also, but without Googling it, have no idea which is the furthest

Plymouth away in the good old days of antoine sibierski was a long one, but then so is carlisle, sunderland and liverpool way! for sheer pain in the arse to get to though plymouth is probably the worst. If we have played somewhere miles away in a stupid location I have probably been there (for my sins)

Swansea in the West, but I guess sticking to OP''s comment about this country, then its either the North West trio of Wigan, Blackpool or Preston, all a bloody long way home, just a bit further than Newcastle (*I didn''t do Carlisle)Shrewsbury was a tough journey but is in Wales, and not as far as Preston etc, but just as gruelling.

Went to Carlisle back in the 80''s and Cardiff for the playoff final. Going to Newcastle in a couple of weeks too

Home games,plus travelled to Norwich to buy 2 semi-final tickets for Villa park v Everton from a "man in a pub" ,drove there got tickets drove back !!

Been to the two longest distance trips from Norwich which were Plymouth and Carlisle ( Twice ).

Strangely Palace always feels the furthest even though it''s one of the nearest.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Swansea in the West, but I guess sticking to OP''s comment about this country, then its either the North West trio of Wigan, Blackpool or Preston, all a bloody long way home, just a bit further than Newcastle (*I didn''t do Carlisle)Shrewsbury was a tough journey but is in Wales, and not as far as Preston etc, but just as gruelling.[/quote]Nearly, but not quite......Shropshire''s the last county before the Taffs start messing around with the road signs [;)]

Norwich v Ipswich, Sunday 19th Nov 1995... that was the game where Wark thought he''d got a pen but the lino gave an offside instead... (we won 2-1)..

I was living in Nottingham, in those days the trains on sunday were worse than they are now.. The only way to get to the game was to take a very early (and cold) train all the way down to London... then get the train to Norwich (not a great route on the day we play the scum)...

No problem - take the train back to Nottingham from Norwich...?? Noooooo - tickets didn''t allow that.. had to go all the way back to London and then all the way back up to Nottingham... and on route i lost my debit card.. disaster!

But it was still an awesome day and one of my favourite matches!

I remember a couple of long distance abandoned games back in the day. We had a decent sunny day up in Blackpool

(470mls round trip) ready for an early season league cup match. Then a monsoon hit the ground just before KO. That was that. Home we go. Then a Newcastle league game

(580 miles RT from W.London) was called off when we got there,due to ice,I think it was. Quite a few games were called off in those days. Fog/Snow etc. But those two were the furthest.

Went to sunderland the night before a few years ago, and it snowed all night and game was called off in the morning and couldn''t get my car out the hotel car park, stuck up there until the sunday !

I''ve done night games at Torquay, Newcastle and Sunderland. We did win at Torquay but we lost the other two. The blow of losing at Sunderland was softened somewhat by the fact we''d already won the league!! I think Carl Robinson scored for the Mackems that night...

I went to that Plymouth game where Sibierski got a couple. Swansea and Sunderland are probably the other 2 long distance ones i''ve gone to, although I think i''ve now done around 70 away games and I refuse to go on cabbage

13,000 MILES TO WATCH NORWICH CITY AT CARROW ROAD, FROM THE ISLAND STATE OF TASMANIA SOUTH OF THE AUSTRALIAN MAINLAND ON EIGHT DIFFERENT OCCASIONS. NEXT STOP SOUTH FOR US ANTARCTIC