Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

First eleven and the squad

Ok, maybe stating the obvious here, but with internationals this week, it''s a slow week - and almost a quarter of the way through the season - so in looking at the squad and taking stock, things are looking good with two full teams and some to spare.  Plenty of strikers, plenty of midfielders, plenty of youngsters with the potential to step up. When Mulumbu is fit, maybe the first team will more often than not look like this......                   RuddyWhittaker Martin Bassong Olsson                   MulumbuRedmond  Howson Dorrans Brady                  Hoolahan                 MbokaniAlternative team looks pretty good too with all the players ready and able to step up and feature in the first team either in their own right or as subs, Jarvis and Jerome in particular could still be first choices -                        RuddWisdom R.Bennett       ?       Toffolo  E.Bennett O''Neil Tettey Jarvis                  Vadis                 JeromeNot to mention Lafferty, Hooper and Grabban, plus  loanees.

Quite a set up imo - strength in depth throughout - with the one glaring gap at CB.  Personally, I''m happy that Martin and Bassong continue as the main choices at CB, but we will need a CB to strengthen the squad in that area as a priority in January. 9 points, plenty to go at.  Roll on Newcastle, or should I say roll over, Newcastle.......

LDC,

On the basis you''ve got one player (midfielder) too many, if Dorrans drops into the alternative team then E Benno can play RB and move Wisdom to CB, job done!

Tettey would be one of the first names on my team sheet. Maybe he doesn''t play so well on Lakey''s dodgy stream as he does at the Carra. [:)]

Was Mulumbu really WBA top scorer?

They must have had a terrible season. Mulumbu only has 17 club goals in total.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Tettey would be one of the first names on my team sheet. Maybe he doesn''t play so well on Lakey''s dodgy stream as he does at the Carra. [:)][/quote]

Tettey is one of my favourite players, as is Jerome, who I think has done brilliantly for us, particularly towards the end of last season - and will play his part this season.   That they may not be first choice when everyone is fit, is just my opinion, but in Mulumbu and Mbokani, we have a players  who will probably become first choice as the season progresses. Cam Tettey and Mulumbu play in the same team? Of coure, but it is imo more likely that they will be contesting for a single place in the team - as imo Howson and Dorrans are - and Brady and Jarvis too.   We simly have good options all over the pitch, so competition is fierce.I''ve no scapegoats or people I wouldn''t want in the team - the squad is strong right through.  But some will find favour more than others - that''s just how it is - and those that are not picked have to fight harder for their places.  

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve no scapegoats.....since Snoddy left...[/quote][:D][/quote]

[:)] Snoddy was no scapegoat.  He is the only Norwich player I have actively disliked in many years - I just didn''t like his attitude.  Selfish, petulant, complaining, poor decision maker and only fine when he was the centre of the action, but if he wasn''t, looked very mediocre to me.  Not without ability, of course, but was not a player who got you out of your seat - but played as if he thought he was that type of player.  

Of the present squad, I wouldn''t complain if any of them were picked for the first team - we are that strong, imo.  Don''t think that has ever been the case before. 

Whittaker is too slow for the system and tactics that we play. Wisdom has the pace but I haven''t seen enough of him to say whether he''s a better defender.

But it''s fair to say he''s not particularly known for his goal scoring.

The first choice team is a bit of a patch up job for this season, such that we''ll need to stoke the fire sooner or later. Other than that I think we''re headed in the right direction wrt how we play the game.

Nor did I say you did.

I was just making the point that Mulumbu isn''t really a regular goal threat.