Sign in to follow this  
Thoughts From Belgium

released players...

I added to a post but no one replied...

so I''ll try a POST of my own.....  lol

In my belief Worthy (he may of had his reasons... I don''t hold it againt him) should off waited before releasing players..... Mulryne, Stuart, Crow, Edworthy...

Mulryne... wow...

Edworthy... wow....

two good championship players who we will play against this season.......!!!!

Why release players when there is no replacement???

What are the rules on releasing players?

can a player be released during the season?

dont know the rules.

But i think you are right in that crow and eddy and maybe mulryne should not have been released.

imo we should have seen who we could buy before releasing them.

Whats the point in holding on to a player who will not play for us and no-one will want to pay for???

In the mean time they just sit around and bleed the club of a couple of grand a week.

I think Worthy made the right decision.

None of the released players are worth anything (transfer fee), and they certainly weren''t worth wasting extra wages on.

[quote]I added to a post but no one replied... so I''ll try a POST of my own..... lol In my belief Worthy (he may of had his reasons... I don''t hold it againt him) should off waited before releasing player...[/quote]

As well as saving wages, I think Worthy is being fair to the players themselves, who want to play 1st team footy rather than not play at al.

We should have definately kept Edworthy. He was up to the task in the Premiership for the first half of the season and is more than capable in the Championship. Dissapointing that we only have one right back now when we could have had two or three right back''s fighting for places.

And that''s the entire point of squad players. Sure, there doesn''t seem much point in paying players who are never going to play - but whilst they''re putting pressure on those who are playing for their shirts, they''re worth every penny.

I agree with BC about Edworthy - I feel that both he and we have been sold short by NQ releasing him. He was very committed and he did OK last season, certainly better than a number of others in the side. I''ve found that his biggest critics are those who didn''t see him play much.

Crow''s a bit of a puzzle - he looked pretty good to me. But Mulryne, well, IMO NW waited too long to swing the axe.

I have to agree about Edworthy - I think he remained pretty loyal to the club throughout. I heard that he was questioning why Helveg was on much more money, whilst he was keeping him out of the first team, and if this is the case, then I think that is more than understandable.

In fact, whilst he wasn''t phenomenal in the Prem, I don''t really recall a game where he was awful.

A shame.

Edworthy turned down a new contract which was offered to him at Christmas. He should have accepted it.

Yes, but why did he turn it down? Would you be happy to be on a lot less wages than somebody you''re keeping out of the team?

Frankly, it''s a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face from the NCFC point of view. I mean, we''ve not exactly got plenty of right backs now have we?!

whats new..in that..he did it last season he let a striker go before really getting another in.. Iwan...   Then Let Malkay go before getting another in..

I think Worthy''s done the right thing by releasing Edders, Mullers and Stuart.

Edworthy looked slow, poor on the ball and looked dangerously outclassed in the Premiership. His movement forward proved fruitless, his tackling caused us problems (he was either too heavy handed, like against Pompey, or simply missed entirely) and we did right by getting shot of him. In comes MLJ, who''s (alot) faster, (alot) better on the ball, and possesses a dangerous cross. Whether he plays back up to a stronger player, or plays as the first choice, then we''ve done ourselves no harm by bringing him in (especially in exchange for Mr Holt!)

Mulryne was, frankly, better suited to work in Delaney''s than as a player for us. He looked sloppy, rarely passed the ball anywhere but back and I think his time to go came. Jarrett is a good player, far better than he is, and I''m still confident a fourth central midfielder will be brought in.

[quote]I think Worthy''s done the right thing by releasing Edders, Mullers and Stuart. Edworthy looked slow, poor on the ball and looked dangerously outclassed in the Premiership. His movement forward proved...[/quote]

you are probably right about MLJ being better than Eddy. but the fact is we still need a right back and it doesnt look like there are many available. Eddy would have covered it well in the champ.

[quote]I think Worthy''s done the right thing by releasing Edders, Mullers and Stuart. Edworthy looked slow, poor on the ball and looked dangerously outclassed in the Premiership. His movement forward proved...[/quote]

you are probably right about MLJ being better than Eddy. but the fact is we still need a right back and it doesnt look like there are many available. Eddy would have covered it well in the champ.

Mullers  - since he has been with us that he does have ability but appears to apply himself more enthusiastically to his drink and food than what he does on the pitch.  When used last season was no more effective than Holt and will always be a bit player.  In reality should have been sold last season.

Crow  - a player who wants games under his belt and was never going to get a look in ahead of our established strikers.  Perhaps is a bit too little/lightweight so can understand why he was released.

Eddy - I posted early on that we should only be releasing him if Helveg was staying.  However we offered him a contract which he turned down.  His contract was up and so at the end of june he could walk anyway.  If we have valued his wages realistically and eddy simply wanted more than we though he was worth then thats part of business life.  We couldnt expect him to agree to a week by week contract while we seek a replacement could we? Disappointing but thats what happens in football.   Personally I agree that we shouldnt be breakig the bank for the eddys of this world...  

Overall I agree that these were the right players to release...  well doen NW (happy dicky?)

OTBC

Stuart is way too old now - he was only brought in for extra Premiership experience in the dressing room.

Edworthy - agree with ZLF, and others saying he WASN''T good enough for the Premiership. To my mind he was frequently out of position which further exposed the centre backs. He did work hard though, and was OK in the Championship last time. If we still need a RB at the end of the transfer window (cover for Louis-Jean) then it will surely have been proven to be a mistake (with of course the benefit of hindsight)

Crow - he didn''t exactly impress Northampton on his loan spell, he came back with an injury but was fit in time for their play-off games. If he is as good as we say, why wasn''t he snapped up by them for the play-offs? Also he was way off a first team slot, behind Hucks, Ashton ,McKenzie, Sven (and prob Thorne), Hendo and Jarvis. Worthy did the right thing by Crow and NCFC here. Good luck to him at Posh.

Mulryne - if he cared and worked hard, he would probably still be with us. But he doesn''t and he didn''t, so good bye and yes Worthy did the right thing again.

We needed them all in the Premiership to keep up the squad size, but they are all now out of contract. We could have renewed their contracts in the hope of getting a fee for them, but I doubt we would have got much of a fee for any of them and the wages would still have to be paid meanwhile. I doubt Eddy / Mullers would have signed less than a 2 year deal, so it would have been a major risk. Worthy and the board did the right thing.