Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Twenty Is Plenty Protest.

Now then Mrs WaxingCresent, are you sure you want to call your ''pride and joy'' Twodots Acircleanda? He may get teased at school....

Ivor, why choose away fans for such a protest. I''ve still not seen a valid reason. Why not try and force clubs to make tickets more cheaply available to people in their own community who are priced out and can''t go at all?

A little bit of mischief from young purple there as Ivor does remind us all that I have never hidden who I am although few people call me "Dave".

I accept my major fault is in using absurd examples to make points and God forbid a shopkeeper should win the lottery, but my point on "giving back" Newmarket winnings is probably more reasonable. The fact is that because you have a windfall gain, it does not mean that it goes back to the customer. Anglia TV had a "licence to print money" back in the 60s and 70s but alas not all went back to the viewer. There is no correlation and as such I do not expect Joe armchair viewer to subsidise me going to Stamford Bridge. However I do expect him to subsidise keeping Newport County in business!

I still fail to see why those people who choose to travel the country to support their team away feel that they should be subsidised. Will someone subsidise me going to a City preseason tour game in the US or when we reach Europe me going to the Camp Nou?

I would much MUCH rather we subsidised tickets for underprivileged children or Iraq veterans or maybe (revolutionary here) give the money to proper charities to distribute.

So Ivor New Login I will not be joining your protest and wonder why organisations with different priorities are pandering to a few travelling fans.

Not my choice Nutty, it''s down to the FSF.

However, as I''ve said numerous times before, it''s down to winnable battles. Focusing on the circa 10% who make up aggregate attendances is far more likely to get a positive result than seeking wholesale changes to all prices.

You''ve made it perfectly clear that''s unacceptable to you and I understand why.

However, what you''ve not done is suggest a viable alternative in relation to home fans. Do that and there may be an alternative campaign to promote. At the moment there''s nothing.

And please don''t get the hump like before, it''s not personal, it''s about trying to answer your questions and seek alternatives by constructive debate.

The ball is in your court, I''m all ears!

[quote user="As my login causes problems"]I still fail to see why those people who choose to travel the country to support their team away feel that they should be subsidised.[/quote]And that one short sentence sums up the whole debate. [Y]Surely these supporters groups should be calling for changes on behalf of ALL fans, not just a select few.

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Not my choice Nutty, it''s down to the FSF.

However, as I''ve said numerous times before, it''s down to winnable battles. Focusing on the circa 10% who make up aggregate attendances is far more likely to get a positive result than seeking wholesale changes to all prices.

You''ve made it perfectly clear that''s unacceptable to you and I understand why.

However, what you''ve not done is suggest a viable alternative in relation to home fans. Do that and there may be an alternative campaign to promote. At the moment there''s nothing.

And please don''t get the hump like before, it''s not personal, it''s about trying to answer your questions and seek alternatives by constructive debate.

The ball is in your court, I''m all ears![/quote]But these type of campaigns are a complete waste of time, regardless of who it''s for.The only way you''ll get any traction from any ticket price protests is if you can convince people not to go to games. While the seats are being filled, clubs have no motivation to reduce prices.Until you can convince the masses to protest with you - and by that I mean not attend games in protest - it''s all just hot air.

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Not my choice Nutty, it''s down to the FSF.

The ball is in your court, I''m all ears![/quote]

You might know old 2dots but you don''t know me. Or at least not very well if you think I get the hump....

I''ve already told you how we could get prices down. But as with everything there''s a cost.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The driving force behind all financial decisions is having a competitive

playing squad. This is the prime market force that controls ticket prices and

all other revenue. Every time the TV deal increases it just puts the players in

stronger positions and the extra money goes to them. I think 95% of all football

fans would agree with my view that it''s far too much money. But if our club

unilaterally cut the player budget to bring tickets down to a more realistic

level 95% of Norwich fans would be up in arms about us not being able to attract

the right quality of player for the PL. In fact we get that now so how much

worse would it be if we had less money!

[/quote]

So there you go. Interfere with the free market and cap players wages and transfer fees. But the problem is do that and eventually the Premier League will attract players of less quality. Sky will pay less for it. So the ticket prices will probably go up anyway. And eventually Sky won''t want the product anyway.

I''d ask why the FSF chose away tickets in the first place. And as for some of you affluent protestors - How would you feel if your protest was photographed in an article stating "These football fans expect concessions to make away trips cheaper".

David "Few people call me Dave" Canterbury, sorry for the error.

No one is suggesting that the clubs suddenly give all the £35m windfall about to come their way back to the fans. That would be like turkey''s voting for Christmas. They could however do far more than they are, even if we disagree about how it''s done.

Lappin "mad dog" Jacobs crackers - the away fans aren''t suggesting they have a sense of entitlement to a subsidy. It''s about trying to convince the clubs to give something back. Stoke and Swansea already are and I don''t see their home fans getting all beefy because the away fans are getting something they''re not. Do you?

Nutty Eddie The Eagle - there was a distinct feel of "toys out of the pram" from your posts of yesterday, with accusations of things being made personal.

Notwithstanding, the economic argument is fine whilst the status quo is maintained. However, if clubs suddenly get a £35m windfall it then becomes a budget issue. They surely don''t have to spend every single penny of that on transfer fees and wages in order to remain competitive.

There''s a common theme developing here, suggesting that the various organisations should do this or that. Some good, some not so.

However, the underlying issue is that group policy won''t be determined via message boards like this. It''s determined by individuals actually getting involved.

Being there doesn''t mean you 100% support the cause. However, not being there gives you little chance of influencing views and opinions on such issues.

Oh, and before Canterbury Chatham gets his knickers in a twist again about my new login, like he I hadn''t been on here for ages until recently. However, unlike him, a complete password failure on my part and reminder to an email address to which i no longer have access, left no choice but you start again.

Now, i feel my work here is done and bid you all farewell

Protest, or not to protest, that''s the £35m question!

OTBC

[quote user="Ivor Know"]David "Few people call me Dave" Canterbury, sorry for the error.

No one is suggesting that the clubs suddenly give all the £35m windfall about to come their way back to the fans. That would be like turkey''s voting for Christmas. They could however do far more than they are, even if we disagree about how it''s done.

Lappin "mad dog" Jacobs crackers - the away fans aren''t suggesting they have a sense of entitlement to a subsidy. It''s about trying to convince the clubs to give something back. Stoke and Swansea already are and I don''t see their home fans getting all beefy because the away fans are getting something they''re not. Do you?

Nutty Eddie The Eagle - there was a distinct feel of "toys out of the pram" from your posts of yesterday, with accusations of things being made personal.

Notwithstanding, the economic argument is fine whilst the status quo is maintained. However, if clubs suddenly get a £35m windfall it then becomes a budget issue. They surely don''t have to spend every single penny of that on transfer fees and wages in order to remain competitive.

There''s a common theme developing here, suggesting that the various organisations should do this or that. Some good, some not so.

However, the underlying issue is that group policy won''t be determined via message boards like this. It''s determined by individuals actually getting involved.

Being there doesn''t mean you 100% support the cause. However, not being there gives you little chance of influencing views and opinions on such issues.

Oh, and before Canterbury Chatham gets his knickers in a twist again about my new login, like he I hadn''t been on here for ages until recently. However, unlike him, a complete password failure on my part and reminder to an email address to which i no longer have access, left no choice but you start again.

Now, i feel my work here is done and bid you all farewell

Protest, or not to protest, that''s the £35m question!

OTBC[/quote]Yes. They probably surely will have to. Unless you can get all 20 clubs to agree to put a certain amount aside then the ultra-competitive nature of the Premier League means they will feel forced to spend pretty much all of what is not really a windfall. We have already seen this summer how transfer fees have gone up because clubs want to avoid relegation so they can be part of the forthcoming mega-TV deal.That process will undoubtedly carry on with transfer fees and with wages. It happened specifically with us with the "£20m for transfers" headlines we got when Cullum went public. At least one transfer that was virtually a done deal got scuppered because the agent believed the myth rather than our denials and demanded more money for his player. With another £35m sloshing around for everyone that will happen across the board.

[quote user="Ivor Know"]David "Few people call me Dave" Canterbury, sorry

for the error. No one is suggesting that the clubs suddenly give all the £35m

windfall about to come their way back to the fans. That would be like turkey''s

voting for Christmas. They could however do far more than they are, even if we

disagree about how it''s done. Lappin "mad dog" Jacobs crackers - the away fans

aren''t suggesting they have a sense of entitlement to a subsidy. It''s about

trying to convince the clubs to give something back. Stoke and Swansea already

are and I don''t see their home fans getting all beefy because the away fans are

getting something they''re not. Do you? Nutty Eddie

The Eagle - there was a distinct feel of "toys out of the pram" from your posts

of yesterday, with accusations of things being made personal.

Notwithstanding, the economic argument is fine whilst the status quo is

maintained. However, if clubs suddenly get a £35m windfall it then becomes a

budget issue. They surely don''t have to spend every single penny of that on

transfer fees and wages in order to remain competitive. There''s a common theme

developing here, suggesting that the various organisations should do this or

that. Some good, some not so. However, the underlying issue is that group policy

won''t be determined via message boards like this. It''s determined by individuals

actually getting involved. Being there doesn''t mean you 100% support the cause.

However, not being there gives you little chance of influencing views and

opinions on such issues. Oh, and before Canterbury Chatham gets his knickers in

a twist again about my new login, like he I hadn''t been on here for ages until

recently. However, unlike him, a complete password failure on my part and

reminder to an email address to which i no longer have access, left no choice

but you start again. Now, i feel my work here is done and bid you all farewell

Protest, or not to protest, that''s the £35m question! OTBC[/quote]

Well that distinct feel was way off the mark. You''ve obviously been on here trolling and playing games. I shouldn''t think that''s done Thommo''s cause much good has it? It''s beyond me why folk can''t just be honest on here. This is a great community and behaviour like this only devalues it. If I lost my log in information and couldn''t access my email account I''d register again and make it known "formerly nutty nigel".

See you at the protest[Y]

If this post is a mess it is because I am using my phone to do this for the first time ever.

Couple of points for Ivor..it was me who used the expression ''one man and his dog'' but I am not involved with the NCFSC as you eluded to except that I know several of its volunteers.The BEP are just 3 guys not a national organisation.

If the FSF are organising this coming protest can someone give me the name of their local contact as The Trust are merely affiliated and not part of it ?

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Lappin "mad dog" Jacobs crackers - the away fans aren''t suggesting they have a sense of entitlement to a subsidy.Nutty Eddie The Eagle - there was a distinct feel of "toys out of the pram" from your posts of yesterday, with accusations of things being made personalOh, and before Canterbury Chatham gets his knickers in a twist again about my new login, like he I hadn''t been on here for ages until recently. However, unlike him, a complete password failure on my part and reminder to an email address to which i no longer have access, left no choice but you start again.Now, i feel my work here is done and bid you all farewell.[/quote]WOW! You mention peoples real names but deny you make things personal. You then explain (using the age-old excuse) how you lost your log-in details and had to re-register but fail to disclose your previous username(s). Why is it ok to use my name but refuse to tell us who you were before your reincarnation? The people you''ve mentioned are all available and open for discussion at every home game, they don''t hide. Just like us, Thomo and his colleagues will be available to air their views in public - but will you Ivor?You''ve resorted to name calling (and very childish ones at that) which suggests you think you''re losing the argument. So you finish in classical PinkUn tradition - you flounce off.

This thread has been an excellent discussion in which we all agree there''s too much money sloshing about in football with the players and agents being the main beneficiaries. We all agree ticket prices are too high and maybe pressure from us fans can effect change. Where we disagree is the way we go about it.The only way fans views on any given subject can be gleaned is by open discussion in places like here, pubs, workplaces, anywhere fans gather to discuss football, not have our views imposed on us by a few groups who THINK they know what is best for us.I was recently talking to an old fella (in his 60''s but doesn''t yet qualify for a concessionary ticket) who has had a ST for years along with his mate. They both decided they couldn''t afford to go together anymore so they decided to share the cost of ONE season ticket between them. They now go to alternate games using the same ticket. Obviously they''re both gutted on the weeks they have to miss out.I remember some years back ''jas the barclay king'' saying he had to give his ST up due to  the arrival of his first child. How many more like him I wonder. How many 17/21 year olds , the low paid or students would love to go to the odd game but simply can''t afford £40/50 for a ticket.Aren''t these the sort of people that any protest should be aimed at, rather than those who some would see as the privileged few who can afford to go to games home and away?It''s not good enough saying "we must start somewhere" and then starting with the lucky ones. The aim should be getting the price of ALL casual tickets reduced.

There''s a big article about this campaign in the Daily Mirror today

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fan-protests-planned-rip-off-6534635

Part of me thinks I must be mad re-engaging again, but, hay ho, a few points have been made worthy of future comments.

Purple - no one is suggesting that any club should take unilateral action. This is a football wide issue and the new TV deals makes this an opportune moment to try and engage with the clubs to try to get a consensus on ticket prices. One thing is for sure, if no agreement is reached, they almost certainly will spend every additional penny.

Nutty - lol at you going on about trolling and me single handedly causing problems for the forthcoming protests. This is a message board and the words of a few on here are highly unlikely to influence the outcome of the campaign one way or the other.

Tilly - I know it was you who used that phrase but I''m really struggling to see where I inferred you were anything whatever to do with NCFSC? I asked Cityangel early on if they were doing a bit for the fund raising - which I wholeheartedly agree with - and she said yes. That''s where that particular reply ended. Like you, I know some of those involved.

I have no idea if there is an FSF local contact. Their website has a link to getting in touch, which, presumably, the BEprojekt, or their dog has done on their behalf, have done.

Lappin - thanks for the lecture on renaming etiquette - I''ll bear it in mind if I ever have to rename again. Not that you really deserve further explaining, but, it was an old account from the early 2000''s with a hotmail.com email attached. And it had less than 200 posts to it. Whilst there was probably nothing untoward to it there''s absolutely nothing to be gained by making reference to it with the new sign up. Frankly, I couldn''t care less what others think, this is the one I''m going with now.

On a more general point, the club has today announced its £10 an adult for Newcastle away. This surely has to be applauded as a step in the right direction?

It''s a message board community of Norwich City fans Ivor. The fact that you don''t respect it doesn''t mean that''s the correct way to behave. So are you going to introduce yourself?

[quote user="Ivor Know"]It''s a message board, Nutty. You don''t have to be on first name terms with everyone to post an opinion.[/quote]

No! But you want to be on first and last names with us and hide behing SDP''s petticoat....

Wrong again, Nutty.

Many on here are already known to each other, or chose to disclose who they are of their own free will. That''s their choice.

Others have a completely open social media presence and it takes very little to work out who they actually are. Again that may be down to choice or ignorance on social media issues.

Others, like me, chose not to so open. That doesn''t prevent them from having an opinion does it?

Now, this has gone completely off topic. If you have anything else to say about Twenty is Plenty, feel free to contribute Otherwise, I have nothing further to add.

OTBC

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Wrong again, Nutty.

Many on here are already known to each other, or chose to disclose who they are of their own free will. That''s their choice.

Others have a completely open social media presence and it takes very little to work out who they actually are. Again that may be down to choice or ignorance on social media issues.

Others, like me, chose not to so open. That doesn''t prevent them from having an opinion does it?

Now, this has gone completely off topic. If you have anything else to say about Twenty is Plenty, feel free to contribute Otherwise, I have nothing further to add.

OTBC[/quote]

Well thassarumun Ivor. I''ve only ever seen Lappinitup''s surname on here this once.

And I''m sure that poster didn''t have permission. Did you?

As for your Twenty is Plenty and the Newcastle game. That start you mentioned actually started last time we were in the PL. If you brought away tickets you would know that....

I am still hoping somebody can tell me who is the local contact for the FSF in this area. I actually asked someone involved in this protest and believe it or not they had no idea.

Ahh I don''t post for ages and then we get a really good topic with some quite good intellectual contributions and I find myself coming back more than once. For that thank you Ivor although like Nutty I do find myself frustrated by this "T" like anonymity particularly when you enjoy your cryptic name dropping in such a mick taking fashion.

To the subject in hand.

I am firmly of the belief that a club that can afford it should reward faithful fans with concessions, hence when games are postponed or coach trips go wrong a promotional price for a future game for those affected has to be applauded as in the case of several games pushed by City.

Equally where the Club fears away support may be low they should use trusted marketing tactics to boost support which again inevitably means subsidised ticketing.

However what I cannot accept is that a potentially sold out trip to Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford should receive this treatment, nor that a neighbour who gets his tiicket from Anfield should pay half what I would pay some ten seats away (should I choose to sit in the Jarrold) even though he is standing!

At this rate I could go to the Palladium for £20 instead of paying £50 to go to the Theatre Royal, now there''s an idea.

PS I only really posted to give you the opportunity to get your literary brain back into gear with more Kentish references.

This is totally daft. A group

of supporters, irrespective of their name or stature are campaigning to attempt

to make football more affordable for all people. They have a plan which may or

may not be the most effective method of reaching their goal. Instead of supporting

or helping chumps on here simply seek to find problems which essentially come

back to the fact they feel they don’t benefit from the goal.

Thankfully, this is only an

online message board and is in no way representative of reality. My understanding

is that everyone I have ever met who attends matches would like prices to be

cheaper. This campaign aims to make that happen one day. So well done and good

look to those working towards that goal. To the others, just leave it and go and

moan about something else.

No Brighton it is not daft to ask questions of whoever claims to be acting for the benefit of us all when we have no idea who they are. The BEP admit to being only 3 yes 3 guys with no democratic mandate to include me in their quest. The FSF who are the front runners in this campaign appear to have nobody locally heading up their part in all this and the Trust are tagging along due to their affiliation to the FSF. One of their number told me they had no idea who fronts the FSF locally !This is not a moan from some of us on here just trying to put some meat on very bare bones. Asking any of them direct questions is greeted with silence and yet they have all been watching this thread for all 8 pages and i defy any of them to deny it.

''no democratic mandate''???

Bit heavy that and missing the point somewhat. If they say they are football

fans trying to make things better for fellow football fans then that is fine by

me. Why does everything have to come through officially recognised bodies etc.

Perhaps the fact that football in general is in such a sorry state (cost of

matches etc) is a good reason as to why such groups exist which you may not

consider worthy of your interest.

The interest you have shown

thus far is to question in a manner which is not particularly helpful and can

easily be construed as overly critical. Seeing as you and others have shown

interest, why not meet on the day and make a proper judgement then. Message

boards are really not the best place.

It seems to me that we are at

a tipping point in football where whole generations may be priced out of

football, potentially ruining / changing the atmosphere of matches forever. To

have a group, regardless of their credentials whose stated intentions are to

bring about a change which can only be interpreted as positive for all fans is

surely a good thing? The campaign may not be the best way forward, however it

does, even if only in a small way help to raise awareness of wider issues. Why

not support instead of critique?

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]

''no democratic mandate''???

Bit heavy that and missing the point somewhat. If they say they are football

fans trying to make things better for fellow football fans then that is fine by

me. Why does everything have to come through officially recognised bodies etc.

Perhaps the fact that football in general is in such a sorry state (cost of

matches etc) is a good reason as to why such groups exist which you may not

consider worthy of your interest.

The interest you have shown

thus far is to question in a manner which is not particularly helpful and can

easily be construed as overly critical. Seeing as you and others have shown

interest, why not meet on the day and make a proper judgement then. Message

boards are really not the best place.

It seems to me that we are at

a tipping point in football where whole generations may be priced out of

football, potentially ruining / changing the atmosphere of matches forever. To

have a group, regardless of their credentials whose stated intentions are to

bring about a change which can only be interpreted as positive for all fans is

surely a good thing? The campaign may not be the best way forward, however it

does, even if only in a small way help to raise awareness of wider issues. Why

not support instead of critique?

[/quote]

For what it''s worth, I think you are absolutely right.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]A group

of supporters, irrespective of their name or stature are campaigning to attempt

to make football more affordable for all people...
[/quote]If that were true Brighton, they would have 100% support on here. The fact they have targeted a minority group who most fans look on with envy, simply for the fact that they can afford to travel both home and away games.If the protest was against ALL casual tickets then I feel there would be little or no opposition.

Im struggling to find out information on  "The Barclay End Projekt",  having looked on the website information is sparse.Can anyone answer these questions?Who are they? -  A vague collective of supporters is claimed.How many are they? - No information givenWhat their mandate is for claiming to represent supporters? - No evidence of a mandate or a majority of fans support baseWhere do they meet? - No reference to any meetingsHow do you join? - You cannot join, only become "involved"How do they elect and un elect those in positions such as Spokesperson or Chairman?.- No information on thisWho is their spokesperson? - No information on thisHow decisions are made and aims decided? - These appear to be pre made by the "collective"Have you any minutes of meetings? - No evidence of meetings or minutesWho`s Traditions and Culture ? - An unknown number or  "collective" of supporters called the BEP, claim these all belong to them.What is the validity in claiming the Barclay End belonging to the BEP? - No validation of this claim.

I am all for supporters groups however on a personal level and speaking only for myself, I need more information than they offer and a much higher level of democracy and openness displayed by them than they presently offer.Now Im not saying Im against some or all of their aims, Im just very uncomfortable with the set up and operation of the "Projekt".

I suppose being a chump goes along with Ivors pathetic personal stuff. But just for the record none of that will change my views that £20 for away fans only is plain wrong on so many levels. And should this come in, as well as being of no benefit to the vast majority of paying football supporters but would also put our club at a disadvantage with those in bigger stadiums. Interesting that Brighton and Ivor obviously have no intention of discussing this.

Just to clarify I have no gripe with any fans groups and by in large believe them all to be a good thing. However I wouldn''t like them to be seen as giving fans a voice if that voice is not representative of fans views. They should maybe be more up front about how many fans that voice reflects.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]Thankfully, this is only an

online message board and is in no way representative of reality
. My understanding

is that everyone I have ever met who attends matches would like prices to be

cheaper. This campaign aims to make that happen one day. So well done and good

look to those working towards that goal. To the others, just leave it and go and

moan about something else.
[/quote]The above quote clearly demonstrates why this site is the best there is. If it''s just agreement you''re after this is not the place for you. Just find a site where your views won''t be questioned.Almost every thread posted on here is questioned, contested, trolled, derided, supported, mocked, explained, derided, praised, scorned etc in equal measure. From it all, the reader can form their own conclusions and opinions. Somewhere in there is always the truth.

My point re discussing the

merits of this particular campaign is that it aims to lower the cost of

football for fans. It is limited in its reach yes, but it acts to raise awareness

of the bigger issue – that football is too expensive. If you agree, then

support the cause, not pick holes in it based on whether you benefit in the

short term. As you say, you can’t focus on one group and neglect another,

therefore the campaign is only good! The campaign, as others will and do should

open up debates on the issue in forums where decisions are eventually be made.

There is a definite belittling

of the campaign within this thread by a group of people who clearly don’t

consider the campaigners to be of any intellectual / moral worth. It’s sad

really…

Simple question; do you

consider football is too expensive for fans? Answer yes; then do no belittle the

campaign. Answer no; then there is something wrong with you.