Sign in to follow this  
willo

Legends..??!!

Totally understand all of the players tagged with the ''Legend'' word who attended the launch of Mick Dennis'' book last night, other than Paul McVeigh.....

Anyone enlighten me as to what puts him in the same category as the like of Huckerby, Drury, Holt etc.?

His song was legendary.

We love you Paul McVeigh,
And if it''s quite alright,
Despite your lack of height,
When you cross the ball,
And we score...

To be fair the main criteria for a legend these days appears to be being "media savvy". That''s what seems to be the connection. Chris Goreham and Simon Thomas were also involved. Not to .mention Mick Dennis himself. However the evening was hugely enjoyable and the fact those present were " media savvy" probably was big reason for that.

He regularly made financial contributions at local businesses... Such as Delaneys

So in the last 20 years who would be on your list of real ncfc legends and whilst you''re here lol what is your definition of a football legend?

"So in the last 20 years who would be on your list of real ncfc legends and whilst you''re here lol what is your definition of a football legend?"

So many by current definition.

Perhaps we should have a "Super Legends" category.

Twenty years? Mike Walker (and all he involved,) Darren Huckerby, Grant Holt and (yes) Paul Lambert.

I actually was thinking of a full blown legends team. So not necessarily the best players for each position but my team of legends through play, service and above all personality!

Keelan

Culverhouse

Forbes

Bruce

Drury

Huckerby

Peters

Paddon

Foggo

Roberts

MacDougall (OK that may be personal legend)

Manager because his overall service was so immense Ashman.

There''s probably two or every position there.

Roberts? No. He never did it at the highest level. Sutton did.

McD was at his best with Charlie beside him.

Ron Davies is your massive omission, IMO. Although I was a littler in short trogs watching him make his debut.

In my 15 years supporting the club we''ve had 4 legends imo

Drury, Huckerby, Holt and Hoolahan

I''m not sure what to class Lambert and McNally as. Legends feels a bit strong but they''ve both had massive positive impacts here, probably more-so than any of those 4 players but I just can''t ignore the way Lambert left and played up about not being able to speak to Burnley (of all clubs ffs) and awarding a CEO legend status also feels wrong

people like McVeigh, Eadie and Roberts I like to think of as great clubs ambassadors, but just short of legend status

Iwan has to be a legend / cult hero! 7 years, loadsa goals... My son was born in 2005 and I named him ''Iwan Robert James'', such was my lasting impression.... Played for us during our more darker hours and had great affinity with our supporters...

If it''s 20 years then Holty has to be in there for me. Probably before Iwan but I''ll probably change my mind next week! But Holty played in the Prem and scored a hat-trick against the binners.

Just to make you lot feel even older 20 years ago Walker''s glorious era was long gone. But the team from 20 years ago would still have offered Gunn, Crook and Fleck for consideration.

Mike Walker era "long gone?"

Gone yes NN, but only by one year .... 1994.

You are though correct, so let''s make it the more usual 25 years then.

The Binners make it 125 years after all.

Lol Broady! More like two years but it felt like a lifetime. 20 years ago we were worrying about Windass and oO''Neil was preparing to jump ship to Leicester. Those glory days were certainly long gone.

My first game was 1967 against Sheff Wed. I reckon there were three legends in the team that day. Keelan, Allcock and Bryceland. King KeV didn''t at like a legend though!!

That''s 48 years ago so I''ve definitely seen more than a team of legends. Just think how many more you oldies have seen :)

For me Trevor Hockey is a legend. And I''d have him in the Hall of Fame in front of many who are in there. Yet he only played 13 times and didn''t even score a goal. Go figure!!

"Gossy , just for that goal ?"

Those goals LC.

Funnily enough, I recently watched his goal against Leeds in our win at Elland Road, where home fans famously stood and applauded almost to a man.

"Dave Stringer Player and Manager."

Absolutely, top three for me. Indestructible on the pitch, calm and canny off it.

I seem to recall that he was an "assistant" in the appointment of the awful Glenn Roeder, but I''ll forgive him for that.

I think some of you are slipping into who was the best player rather than my wider definition including personality.

That is why Stringer, Sutton, Goss etc have not made it FOR ME, although a legend will not be acclaimed by all.

I also agree with the reservations on my pick of Culverhouse (no personality to speak of) but I really struggled with right back.

To me goalie was clear with Gunn the also ran but goalies are not hot on personality when with City.

Both fullbacks are quiet men and Bowen nearly made the team as having more personality but again still quiet maybe Bradshaw should be a "big hitter" for right back but overall I was happy with my two.

Central defenders pick themselves for me with Forbes and Bruce who were absolute legends for me.

Wingers so many to choose from but never having seen Varco or Curran it had to be Foggo and Huckerby for me. Again there personalities overriding more skilful or faster wingers.

Centre midfield if you saw Peters or Paddon play you would never have anyone else and Paddon in a nightclub made boybands look like amateurs!

Strikers again I accept the skills of Sutton or Davies were better but Roberts really was zero to hero and MacDougall lifted the Club singlehanded into the glamour of big time.

I put Ashman as manager but maybe he could have been full back although I never saw him and so maybe John Bond could take the manager''s suit again for me more on what he was than his achievements where others did more.

Finally Nutty you and I will always love the headbanded legend Hockey but although we loved him he can''t really justify inclusion in my team although to bring him on to sort out Muscatt would be my dream!

Delia.... biggest legend of Norwich City!!

For all the negativity put towards her over the years the old dear has always shown her unfaultering support, she has also kept the vultures away!

I would prefer someone like Delia who has a passion for the club than a rich oversea''s investor who would only use the club as a cash cow.

Legends are a personal opinion; I could never rate Marshall, Sutch, Drury, Roberts etc as such, some cult heros, some loyal servants, some great goal scorers amongst them.

Last 20 years, back to 1995, Hucks heads the tree by some way for me; I cant recall one player having the same impact on a side; and his loyalty to the club is not something I can recall being matched. He has the combination of cult hero, loyalty and talent

Others in recent times are Holt, Hoolahan (inter-dependent on each other with Lambert) and Green.