Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Gary O'Neil speeding

On the face of it this looks like a bad bit of news but the thing that made me laugh is the first key word at the bottom of the article, even their own paper is taking the p1ss out of the Binners.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/norwich_city_midfielder_gary_o_neil_to_face_trial_over_103mph_speeding_charge_on_a14_1_4269716?

O’Neil began his career at Portsmouth where he made 192 appearances.

He once cost Middlesbrough a fee of £5m and also played in the Premier League with West Ham before joining QPR in August 2013.

Including appearances as substitute O’Neil has played 29 times for Norwich.

Complete berk and not the sort of idiot we want wearing the shirt. I don''t think being without him would be much of a loss at all either - O''Neil is a very average player who brings nothing to the squad that our other, better midfielders don''t already possess between them. He''s nowhere near being a regular starter at this level, and his only purpose is as backup coming on to shore things up for the last 15 minutes - and I''d rather see us give one or two of the U21s a chance doing that job, much better long-term strategy for the club than playing a fading journeyman like O''Neil. He''ll get off the speeding charge with a slap on the wrist and a pocket change fine of course as he''ll pull the usual footballer trick of paying some lawyer to plead that his car is ''essential'' to get to training and get him out of actually being properly punished; but I hope the club gets rid of him in January.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Complete berk and not the sort of idiot we want wearing the shirt. I don''t think being without him would be much of a loss at all either - O''Neil is a very average player who brings nothing to the squad that our other, better midfielders don''t already possess between them. He''s nowhere near being a regular starter at this level, and his only purpose is as backup coming on to shore things up for the last 15 minutes - and I''d rather see us give one or two of the U21s a chance doing that job, much better long-term strategy for the club than playing a fading journeyman like O''Neil. He''ll get off the speeding charge with a slap on the wrist and a pocket change fine of course as he''ll pull the usual footballer trick of paying some lawyer to plead that his car is ''essential'' to get to training and get him out of actually being properly punished; but I hope the club gets rid of him in January.[/quote]Looks like we have a new scapegoat.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Complete berk and not the sort of idiot we want wearing the shirt. I don''t think being without him would be much of a loss at all either - O''Neil is a very average player who brings nothing to the squad that our other, better midfielders don''t already possess between them. He''s nowhere near being a regular starter at this level, and his only purpose is as backup coming on to shore things up for the last 15 minutes - and I''d rather see us give one or two of the U21s a chance doing that job, much better long-term strategy for the club than playing a fading journeyman like O''Neil. He''ll get off the speeding charge with a slap on the wrist and a pocket change fine of course as he''ll pull the usual footballer trick of paying some lawyer to plead that his car is ''essential'' to get to training and get him out of actually being properly punished; but I hope the club gets rid of him in January.[/quote]

Very interesting, but what about the first keyword being ''Premier League'', that''s funny [:D]

Just a tad harsh don''t you think AndyC?

As I recently learnt on my speed awareness course we''re all abiding to a "Highway Code" that is extremely outdated.

Modern braking systems, car handling, tyre quality/effectiveness, car safety features, driver training, road matinence, car matinence.. etc. etc. etc.. have all improved improved 10 fold. Yet we''re still following rules that were created years ago?

Personally I feel I can drive 90mph on a dual carriageway with complete safety, weather permitting of course.

If I lost my job because I got caught doing 94mph i''d be pi**ed to say the least.

What''s the betting AndyC is one of those pillocks with a camera on his helmet, riding through red lights and mowing down pedestrians on pavements with impunity.  No maybe he shouldn''t have been speeding, but shouldn''t play for the club?  Not like he''s a rapist or anything is it?[:(]

There''s nothing to need a scapegoat for, we''re having a superb season thus far, as far as I''m concerned! My opinion also isn''t new particularly, I''ve never been a big fan of O''Neil or thought he brought anything much to the squad. Combine him being one of our weakest midfielders and superfluous to our needs with his stupid criminal behaviour, and we''d be better off without him.

And yes, the ''Premier League'' thing is amusing... only chance the Portaloo rabble are going to get to see those words in the near future...

Is this posting thread about speeding or the value of Gary O''Neill in the City squad?

I once got over two hundred down votes on the Daily Mail site for suggesting that a sixty mile speed limit on motorways (daytime hours) and twenty in built up areas would save lives (and maimings.) and not result in slower journeys.

But then, none of those two hundred had lost a loved one to a speeding driver.

As for Gary O''Neill. Not a bad player to have around but surely in need of being removed from the wages bill now that Mulumbu is virtually back and Vladis is seemingly up for it.

[quote user="OldRobert"]What''s the betting AndyC is one of those pillocks with a camera on his helmet, riding through red lights and mowing down pedestrians on pavements with impunity.  No maybe he shouldn''t have been speeding, but shouldn''t play for the club?  Not like he''s a rapist or anything is it?[:(][/quote]

Funnily enough, I own neither a bike nor a helmet camera. Nor a car for that matter! So, incorret on all counts there.

No, O''Neil''s certainly no Ched Evans, but as stated above he is clearly a bloody idiot; and from a footballing perspective I dont see he would be much of a loss.

What''s all the fuss about getting caught for speeding.I have been caught once not proud of it but who really cares as long as he does his best for Norwich which he always does.Please don''t shoot him or give him detention lol

Perhaps if he moved to Norwich he would not get caught speeding, whose going to be next of the other two London based players Hooper and Grabban to get caught.

[quote user="daly"]Perhaps if he moved to Norwich he would not get caught speeding, whose going to be next of the other two London based players Hooper and Grabban to get caught.[/quote]Too right he wouldn''t. The virtual gridlock that is the Norwich roads system would take care of that....

The football club should enforce a rickshaw only policy

Driving at that speed over 30 mph above speed limit should get a lengthy ban.

O''Neill given 2 yr contract last season and is tidy utility midfield player with an accurate delivery but with a record of not being relegated from PL, a talisman whose record we need to continue,

People who speed to a large excess as a matter of course needed pegging back.  I dare say a lot of us speed every day when we think there aren''t cameras around - you know, 35 in a 30 limit,  45 in a 40, 80 on the motorway in a 70 etc etc, but if you go way over the limit, like 30 mph over, you are asking for trouble.   

Pete wrote;

O''Neill given 2 yr contract last season and is tidy utility midfield player with an accurate delivery but with a record of not being relegated from PL, a talisman whose record we need to continue,

Still not the quickest, that honour belongs to a certain Carlo Nash does it not?

Just to point out STAN, but not everyone drives a modern car with modern braking systems and safety features. Also, not everyone has had modern driver training so the Highway Code is one of the few instances where catering to the lowest common denominator makes sense!

Thought all the players had to move within half hour or training or something? And that was one of the reasons BJ was sold. Or so I read on here

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]There''s nothing to need a scapegoat for, we''re having a superb season thus far, as far as I''m concerned! My opinion also isn''t new particularly, I''ve never been a big fan of O''Neil or thought he brought anything much to the squad. Combine him being one of our weakest midfielders and superfluous to our needs with his stupid criminal behaviour, and we''d be better off without him. [/quote]So far you have decribed O''Neil as a '' berk '' an '' idiot ''  who indulges in '' stupid criminal behaviour '' so maybe me using the expression scapegoat was a tad harsh. In that case may i suggest you are looking for a stick to beat O''Neil with ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="andyc24_uk"]There''s nothing to need a scapegoat for, we''re having a superb season thus far, as far as I''m concerned! My opinion also isn''t new particularly, I''ve never been a big fan of O''Neil or thought he brought anything much to the squad. Combine him being one of our weakest midfielders and superfluous to our needs with his stupid criminal behaviour, and we''d be better off without him. [/quote]So far you have decribed O''Neil as a '' berk '' an '' idiot ''  who indulges in '' stupid criminal behaviour '' so maybe me using the expression scapegoat was a tad harsh. In that case may i suggest you are looking for a stick to beat O''Neil with ? [/quote]All these adjectives from somebody who doesn''t drive a car...................[:)]

If proven, it''s a very silly thing to do along what''s notoriously quite a dangerous stretch of road. I''m sure the court will take appropriate action and he''ll be punished accordingly (again if proven).

Personally, I think O''Neil is a useful player to have around the squad. He''s neat and tidy in possession, quite a similar player to Dorrans in that regard, and Neil clearly believes he serves a function to try and help us see out games late on this season.

Realistically I don''t see him getting a new deal if we stay up, if we were to be relegated that may change. However, he will definitely find another club next if he is released.