Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Howson or Dorrans?

Howson didn''t have his best game against Leicester, so will that means Dorrans gets in this week?  Imo, Dorrans is just as good as Howson and is also more consistent imo.  At many clubs, both would be in the team from the start, but we have so many good options, that isn''t going to happen very often at Norwich.   So Dorrans or Howson.....or maybe even Vadis?  

[quote user="lake district canary"]Howson didn''t have his best game against Leicester, so will that means Dorrans gets in this week?  Imo, Dorrans is just as good as Howson and is also more consistent imo.  At many clubs, both would be in the team from the start, but we have so many good options, that isn''t going to happen very often at Norwich.   So Dorrans or Howson.....or maybe even Vadis?  

[/quote]If only someone had started a thread discussing team options for this weekend....

Alex Neil has never dropped Howson. Absolutely no chance of it happening on Sunday.

And yes, a simple ''Howson or Dorrans'' on the team selection thread would have been more than acceptable.

I like Dorrans and he''s much more better all round footballer than I had envisaged when he first joined us on loan.

But I think Howson has got to be started the majority of our games and as a central midfielder. He is our most complete midfielder and it''s no coincidence that our two most lacklustre displays (Southampton and Leicester) have also coincided with his.

Yes, he didn''t have a great game against Leicester and gave the ball away in the build to both Leicester goals but he was playing out of position on the right. It''s a testament to his quality that he actually done good turns on the left and right side of midfield this season already. But he''ll always effect the game more centrally.

I eventually would like to see a first choice central midfield pairing of Howson and Mulumbu in the long run which I think would be very exciting. Mulumbu looked absolutely fantastic until he unfortunately picked that injury in the Brentford game. It will also give Tettey''s knees some much needed rest at times.

I rate both players but I''m not sure it''s an either or situation because they''ve both been asked to play pretty different roles to one another all season.
I would like to see Howson in the middle of the park rather than out on one wing, personally. It''s not a criticism of him because he usually does a good job out there, but we don''t really benefit from him as much out there.

In my opinion Howson has a slight edge, if only in acceleration and over 20 yards where he is as quick as anyone in the club, and also greater variety and technique in shooting.

He was not at his best against Leicester, but then nobody excelled, and he was playing out of position.

It''s very close to call in my opinion. Howson didn''t have a great game v Leicester but was out on the wing. He also needs to track back faster, if he loses the ball, as was the case.

I''m glad I don''t have to make the decision, but I''d say Howson should get the nod, just. I''m hoping we get to see what Vadis can do this season also. He could make selection even more difficult.

I think you''re right Hogesar and it definitely isn''t always a straight case of one or the other. We''ve already seen at Liverpool this season already that Howson will play in a slightly more advanced role with Dorrans and either Tettey/Mulumbu offering cover behind him.

This will undoubtedly happen in games where Neil doesn''t feel we''re going to monopolise the ball and we therefore need more ''legs'' as a result to close down and shut off angles.

If Wes starts then I fear it is a straight choice (unless you shunt Howson wide and as you rightly say I think he''s totally wasted out there).

In that situation, they are both best utilised as the more progressive of the two central sitting midfielders. You would expect one of Mulumbu or Tettey to sit alongside them as the more defensively minded partner. I think we''d look slightly unbalanced with both of Howson and Dorrans in the central area together.

But what brilliant options to have. We''ve come a long way from the days of our only midfield options being Andy Hughes and Mark Fotheringham, *shudders*

For me the middle should be;

Defence

Tettey

Dorrans Howson

Hoolahan Redmond

Striker

I dont think it is a choice between these two in Alex Neil''s mind.....Howson will always be picked ,even if its on the right side of midfield....therefore the real question is Dorrans or Redmond.

When Mulumbu comes back ,I can see him being paired with Tettey in the middle with Howson''s place on the right even further cemented.

The reason I asked the question - and I suppose it''s the same throughout the squad - is that the key to keeping players at their peak is to let them know that if they fall short in a match, that there is someone who will take their place.   Howson had a poorish match by his standards last time out, so maybe a message could be given that, right, you didn''t do so well so I''m going to give someone else a go, until you shape up.  It also keeps fringe players happy because they know they will get a chance to play sooner or later. 

I like Howson and would normally think, ok, not such a good game and think he''ll do better next time out, but AN has a big squad and if players don''t do the business, they are - or should be - at risk of being dropped for players who can also do the job.  It''s the same with Jerome and Mbokani.....but that''s for another thread......

Howson did make a couple of costly mistakes but the manager has to take some responsibility for deploying him in a position that doesn''t bring the best out of him (or the team).