Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Elliot Bennett

On Sky playing his first game for Bristle City tonight, for those soap dodging like me.

The boy''s done good so far.

I hope it works out for him there.

The much maligned Wheelie Bin has scored both goals and is keeping up his impressive record for the Robins.

I''m not saying that we let a little gem (all 6'' 4" of him) go there as it''s mostly been League One, but he can''t have made a lesser contribution for us than the combined talents and costs of Luciano Becchio, now sunk without trace at Athletico Sporting Belgrano, and RVW, now failing to impress at Betis.

If Derby are the Norwich B team nowadays, Brizzle City must be the C team with Wilbrahimovic, Benno and Korey Smith in the side. Korey''s looking decent

to be fair although Wilbraham came in for some stick in his first season, I think most fans had gained a soft spot for him by time he''d left us!

Also good to see Korey Smith running the show in midfield!

Wilbrahamovic will always be a secret legend in my eyes! His experience added a lot to our dressing room full of young lads, and he did what was asked of him on the pitch too. Good to see him still bagging a few goals now and again despite age not being on his side.

As for Korey, a good player but probably playing at his level. Nice to see one of our academy products doing well!

As for Benno, I think he''s got a lot to do to get ahead of Redmond, Brady and Jarvis at the moment but he''s still relatively young so a good loan period to either put himself in AN''s plans or the shop window are a good platform for him

There are quite a lot of players with City connections playing in the Championship nowadays and it adds interest to watching some of these games.

Spending four of the last five seasons in the Premier League means that some, like Smith, Martin and, Adeyemi having slipped off the radar at Carrow Road have now found their level and more opportunities of improving upon it. Chris Martin has every prospect of becoming a PL striker again in the near future.

Then there are the loaned out youngsters currently playing at some level or other and also the one or two nearly men (like Bennett himself and Tony Andreu.)

Jed Steer (although on Villa''s books) is another example and I note that he will be turning out for Huddersfield against the Binners this afternoon (along with Elliot Ward.) Come on Jed, blinder please!

We may not have produced a Darren Eadie or a Chris Sutton in recent years, but there is still a whole contingent of City Youth playing throughout the various leagues at this moment in time.

This must help towards financing the Academy in some way or other, until the next Justin comes along.

I have two words for all Liverpool fans....Justin Fashanu. Many an irish youngster has now googled THAT goal, and deepened their football knowledge.

My brother supports Bristol City and when Elliot signed he said ''we''ve got enough wingers, we really need a wingback''  I told him Bennett can play in that position as well, Sure enough, that''s where he was playing last night and my brother was impressed !

Back to our ex''s.

Chis Martin just hit a superb strike for Derby''s goal inside two minutes, with Bradley Johnson behind the move.

They could both be in the Premier League again next season.

Butterfield on the bench.

Jed Steer in the Championship ''team of the week'' for keeping the binners out yesterday.