Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Chris Martin (again)

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Saddens me to say it but Chris Martin looks a class apart again today from our supposed target Afobe.What a wicked waste!![/quote]Should we have played him instead of Grant Holt?

lappinitup..........Yes! He was never given a chance while Holty was there. Martin is looking much more of a complete target man with his goals + layoffs......even if he does miss the odd penalty!!!!

Suspect if he came back with all the local distractions he had before he would go off the boil

Good player but not what we need we need a proven top flight striker

When we let Martin go he was a 5th (?) choice striker in a Premiership club behind Holt,Morison,Vaughan and Jackson....there wasn''t to many people bemoaning it at the time.

Derby aren''t a Premier league club and I still think Martin would struggle at this level now.

Martin lacks pace, but then so does Hoolahan.

If Hoolahan was to get injured and out for several months, Norwich have no obvious replacement.

I think Martin is clever enough to play the ''No.10'' role, with the added bonus of knowing where the back of the net is, and how to find it........

I saw Vaughan, Jackson & Morisson in the Championship and believe me none of them, could hold a candle to the way Martin has played in the last three seasons!Class act and if he maintains his current application he could do well at a higher level.Looks a much better player than Jerome who himself has performed reasonably in the PL.

You make decisions based on the knowledge available to you at the time, not with the benefit of hindsight. When Martin was released in the summer of 2013 he had two very mediocre loan spells - one with Swindon where he managed 1 goal in 13 matches in League One and another with Derby where he got 2 goals in around 13 matches. This time in the Championship.

Given that he also actually struggled for goals when we promoted from the Championship under Lambert, I don''t criticise Hughton for releasing him. I think 99.9% of Norwich fans would have been very concerned if you were asking him to be the man to deliver the goals for us in 2013/2014 when he''d been struggling to do it even in League One the year before with Swindon. Ultimately, he was a player (rather like Korey Smith and Tom Adeyemi) who was unfortunate that the club developed so rapidly in such a short time.

Whilst I don''t know the specifics there was I am also told there was a lot of off the field stuff which means that it was probably in his beat interests to leave Norwich and start again with a clean slate somewhere else. He''s clearly revelled in that new environment and fresh start at Derby.

I''m genuinely pleased to see him doing well and I will remember manically celebrating his goal against Leeds (which basically sealed League One) with my father as long as I live. But we''ve moved on and he''s moved on. End of.

He just wasn''t good enough back in 2011 though and if we hung onto him he wouldn''t have developed the way he has. He barely saw the ball, contributed nothing and was often running into defenders a la RVW in the (admittedly) few appearances he did make that year.

It''s good to see how well he''s done because he''s actually a nice guy, but we just rose too fast for him, he had no future here

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Derby Canary"]Saddens me to say it but Chris Martin looks a class apart again today from our supposed target Afobe.What a wicked waste!![/quote]Should we have played him instead of Grant Holt?[/quote][quote user="Derby Canary"]lappinitup..........Yes! He was never given a chance while Holty was there.[/quote]I can''t believe you said that. You would have honestly preferred an unruly and often disinterested Chris Martin to Grant Holt in his pomp? Of course, Martin is  good player now, but much of that is due to his growing up.

"Never given a chance whilst Grant Holt was here''.

Doesn''t that tell you nearly everything you need to know?

Are you questioning Paul Lambert''s decision making?

How many more goals than WFLGH would Martin have scored? in your opinion?

Martin is indeed tearing up the Championship defences, and I wish him well. I will reserve judgement on when he does the same to Prem defences, but that won''t happen for at least a year, by which time Martin will be how old? Nigh on 28, which is when most CFs are in their prime!