Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Team v newcastle

The luck has certainly turned for Newcastle today. Deflections all gone against us and the woodwork.

We still would have lost Ricardo, you can''t blame bad luck on a truly shite performance like that, it''s lucky we didn''t lose 10-2 as it is.

At 3-2 in the 2nd half we were well in this. We got too gung ho when it wasn''t necessary & the more goals they scored the more gung ho we got.No one on the pitch in control of the headless chickens.

[quote user="Making Plans"]At 3-2 in the 2nd half we were well in this. We got too gung ho when it wasn''t necessary & the more goals they scored the more gung ho we got.No one on the pitch in control of the headless chickens.[/quote]I agree with this.. we should never have bought Wes on! this certainly isn''t a dig at Hoolahan and he didn''t lose us the gameNewcastle were finding the gaps fairly easily with Dorrans and Tettey so we weakened that position by taking one of them off.. O''Neill for Tettey was the logical decision..Wes came on we lost our shape and conceded 2 goals in a minute

Not to worry we have Man City up next away! If that back line isn''t sorted can see the Scum record being under threat......not great was it?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Its not bl00dy luck, it''s our $hit defending.[/quote]So true - when you let in 6 it''s got nothing to do with luck

The defence is obviously going to come in for some stick tonight. I still think the midfield was worse though! Never seen Dorrans, Howson and Tettey so bad and against a 2 man midfield at that

Tactics were completely wrong, players didn''t want it as much as Newcastle, Defence woeful but our central midfield needs a whole new expletive to describe it today. They all looked hungover or something

We looked naive today. Got it very wrong tactically and why change the shape at 3-2 when we were finally getting a foothold in the game and looking like getting back in it? We were so open when we lost the ball and there seemed a real lack of desire to get back and support the back four leading to us being overrun every time they broke.

I feel for Howson too, his position changes at the start of every game and usually again during it. Must be so difficult to put in consistent performances when you never get a chance to settle in a role. He''s our best all round central player and we aren''t making the most of him at the minute.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Making Plans"]At 3-2 in the 2nd half we were well in this. We got too gung ho when it wasn''t necessary & the more goals they scored the more gung ho we got.No one on the pitch in control of the headless chickens.[/quote]I agree with this.. we should never have bought Wes on! this certainly isn''t a dig at Hoolahan and he didn''t lose us the gameNewcastle were finding the gaps fairly easily with Dorrans and Tettey so we weakened that position by taking one of them off.. O''Neill for Tettey was the logical decision..Wes came on we lost our shape and conceded 2 goals in a minute[/quote]Yeah,can''t disagree with any of that. Bad tactical changes by Alex. Hopefully he will learn a lot from this fiasco.

We can drop players ANF.

Next up we are against a Pulis team, therefore we know what we''re getting; long balls up to their strikers.

So do we:

A) stick with Russel Martin at CB who doesn''t win as much in the air

or

B) move Martin to RB as Whitts was once again terrible and put a taller, stronger, quicker Ryan Bennet in?

Those are the most obvious choices, with B being the most obvious answer imo.

Clubs ineptitude in the transfer market is now starting to cost us.

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]The defence is obviously going to come in for some stick tonight. I still think the midfield was worse though! Never seen Dorrans, Howson and Tettey so bad and against a 2 man midfield at that

Tactics were completely wrong, players didn''t want it as much as Newcastle, Defence woeful but our central midfield needs a whole new expletive to describe it today. They all looked hungover or something[/quote]

This, in spades.

Olsson was good, Bassong couldn''t have really done much more, Martin''s only real error was to not stay central to defend the 4th (or may have been fith, I''m seething so can''t remember the order, perhaps shocked is a better word).

It''s almost like AN wanted to get in as many of the ''on form'' internationals as possible.

Midfield was so much worse than the defence. Dorrans and Tettey were meant to shield the back four and be the basis of where our attacks started after breaking up play. Tettey was back to the days when he hits a five yard pass like it''s going 25yards, his distribution was very poor, when put under pressure he didn''t look like he wanted it and was always looking for the easy five yard pass out. This invited pressure on our own side.

Dorrans was poor by the standards he has set. Was reckless in the tackle and again, poor (admittedly bar one very good pass to Redmond) in terms of distribution which isn''t normally a problem.

Brady, bar the shot off the post looked indifferent. Howson looked good in periods, as did Redmond who often ran back and covered what most people would call a marauding Whittaker. I don''t want to describe it as that as it would suggest his forward runs came to anything, they didn''t.

At half time you could have taken Brady, Dorrans and Tettey off without anyone moaning. Possibly Howson as well, although perhaps harshly.

Mbokani was fantastic, a complete world apart. Constantly caused problems for his markers all game, go in ahead of them often and when he didn''t, he snapped at their heels and forced mistakes or used his strength to win the ball.

The thing that really irks me, more than any other. Newcastle didn''t play well at all. You can''t say they pressed high up the pitch - they didn''t. You can''t really say that they really applied a lot of pressure in the middle third either, we had the lions share of the ball, and worked it around nicely at times, just somewhat aimlessly.

I think AN got this one wrong. I think he saw a team low on form and possibly confidence and thought if we got at them we could get on top of them and make them crumble.

Sometimes league position is not the be all and end all. They have a manager who is relatively proven, at the very least has shown he can be astute. The writing was on the wall very early on, it was far, far, far too open and we stuck with it. It reminds me of when Lambert went with three at the back and we got stuffed.

My fear is that teams are now starting to spot our weaknesses and they are the few players that play week in week out - Whittaker and Tettey being the two key ones at the moment.

Last week Leicester seemed to force the ball to be played to Tettey and then forced errors from him. Today it looked the same, and they looked to try and force him to make more intricate passes than he is confident in making.

Did not help that there was very little resistance from the rest of midfield for me, bar Redmond who is never going to be the strongest in physicality.

I think on that performance, we need to get Jarvis back in the side at the expense of Brady, give O''Neil the nod ahead of Tettey and consider something at right back. Whether that be slide Martin across and play R.Bennett or to play Wisdom. If Mulumbu is fit, possibly start him ahead of O''Neil, he has far greater ability on the ball than Tettey.

I''m not scapegoating by the way, I just can''t believe that some players can continue to be given the chances after a performance like that!

[quote user="mrs miggins"]We can drop players ANF.

Next up we are against a Pulis team, therefore we know what we''re getting; long balls up to their strikers.

So do we:

A) stick with Russel Martin at CB who doesn''t win as much in the air

or

B) move Martin to RB as Whitts was once again terrible and put a taller, stronger, quicker Ryan Bennet in?

Those are the most obvious choices, with B being the most obvious answer imo.[/quote]

Whilst I don''t disagree with the sentiment in switching Martin to RB and Bennett into CB. You are so wrong with your assessment of Martin. He was the quickest back on several occasions today, certainly more alert as well. If he is slower than Bassong, it''s not by much.

From what I have seen of Bennett, whilst he is arguably stronger in the air, he''s not that quick, certainly not so much faster that it gives him an edge over Martin or Bassong. I think the injuries have put paid to that.