Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Keelan, Gunn or Green - who's best?

With all the discussion on another thread about whether Greeno''s overated or not, I just wonder if you all have an opinion as to who is/was City''s best keeper. I don''t really have an opinion myself as it''s quite hard to remember how good a player from years ago was. But I expect some of you with your encyclopaedic knowledge of the game to come up with a judgement. It may well be if you''ve been following City long enough that you choose none of these 3.

[quote]With all the discussion on another thread about whether Greeno''s overated or not, I just wonder if you all have an opinion as to who is/was City''s best keeper. I don''t really have an opinion myself as...[/quote]

For me Stephen, it would have to be Sandy Kennon followed by Ken Nethercott and then Kevin Keelen.

I always liked Gunny, but for class, guts and courage it has to be Sandy every time.

Keelan best keeper we ever had in my time of following City.

After him Kennan, Nethercott, Oxford then Green.

Gunn couldn''t hold a candle to most of them I feel.

[quote]Poll now up on home page.[/quote]

Blow me! that''s uncanny. I genuinely had no idea when I started this topic off, that something so similar had been placed on the home page. For once I hadn''t even looked at the home page this morning.

Chris Woods. He was number one at the time I first started going to Carrow Road, I also remember watching him in goal for England U-21''s in 83/84(?). I think we played Norway and beat them 4-1.  That said, I will never forget Gunny''s display against Everton away, we won 1-0 that day, but without Gunn''s saves we would have lost 7-1!

so far in my years .. I started as kid watching

Kennon

Keelan

Woods

Hansbury  and so

but out of them all  1Keelan 2Kennon 2Woods 4 Gunny 5 Green

Definitely Gunny since I started supporting City, followed by Green, although i''ve heard from many that Keelan was an amazing keeper for us, although I never got to see him play which is a shame. What other keeper has dominated the number 1 shirt for nearly 20 years and make as many apppearances as he did?

Sandy Kennon, a very good keeper. Good family friend, shares a house with my grand parents in Spain, anyone heard of John Greatrex? Old Norwich reserve keeper late 60''s, he''s my grand father.

Saved a pen. against the legend Sir Bobby Charlton.

Could also say Chris Woods was pure quality

All the ''keepers mentioned are great ones - Norwich has a reputation for its great ''keepers.

But for sheer nerves I have to pick Sandy Kennon. He made his debut in the 1959 cup run in a replay against Sheffield Utd.

City won 3-2 but for me I shall never forget the enormous height Kennon got when going for crosses. Amazing.

I stood in the River End and I believe he was defending the goal down that end. All the River End crowd were talking to him, applauding him even if he sneezed, and encouraging him.

Although some of my facts no doubt are wrong - it is a long while ago - for me that was the most unforgettable City game I have watched.

Keelan, Gunn, then Green. I also think Woods was better as well. Doesn''t look like old Greeny''s doing well in the polls does it ? Is he really worth £3m - I doubt it.

[quote]All the ''keepers mentioned are great ones - Norwich has a reputation for its great ''keepers. But for sheer nerves I have to pick Sandy Kennon. He made his debut in the 1959 cup run in a replay agains...[/quote]

I remember it budgie,

He was making his debut in the wake of Nethercott''s injury.

I was only a few feet behind him in the Barclay Stand and the big man was trembling like a leaf.

Great goalie.

[quote]I remember it budgie, He was making his debut in the wake of Nethercott''s injury. I was only a few feet behind him in the Barclay Stand and the big man was trembling like a leaf. Great goalie.[/quote]

And just think Jim, I could have been the kid next to you, that''s right where me and a couple of mates stood for that game.

Spooky?. 

It has to be Green. I appreciate that he hasn''t played for that long and as a result it will be tough when compared to other keepers who played for years, but that said, the quality of football has improved so much since the 1950s which has to mean Green is better.

If you look at previous season review videos in the 90s, then I dont honestly think Gunn was that good.

So for me Green is the best City keeper ever

Shame Andy ''flapper'' Marshall wasnt included on the poll as he was tipped to be England''s number 1 when he first burst onto the scene in 94.

OTBC

I suppose one feature of our top goalkeepers was their loyality to the club, with maybe the exception of Chris Woods.

My top favourite would be Ken Nethercott, followed by Kevin Keelan and Robert Green with a sneaking regard for Ken Oxford.

I''ve got to say Keelan haven''t I.
Not only for his goalkeeping prowess, but for sheer comedy too.
Was it a game against Villa when he bounced the ball on the ground a few times before rapidly bouncing it off the Villa striker''s face?
That''s how I remember it at least. Marvellous stuff.

Forgot about Danny Gay! Saw him play once for the reserves in the cup final against Reading which we won on penalties.

Always amused by the fact his shirt read:

Gay

Excuse my ignorance, but when did Danny Gay play for City? I''ve either clean forgotten about him, or he played before my time. Can anybody help please?

Danny Gay was a product of our youth system (academy?) and benched a few times for Andy Marshall during the late nineties early naughties. I dont think he ever played for the first team and was released after the 2001/02 season.

Not sure where he is now

Isn''t it amazing that since the 40s when Nethercott joined (i believe) we have only had 7 ''number one'' keepers?

Nethercott himself, Kennon, Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Marshall, Green

Obviously there have been others in between due to injury etc but these are the ones who dominated the goalkeeping position. Have I missed anyone?

Keelan was not only a great ''keeper but owned the best right hook I have ever seen on a footballer.

I remember him flooring an opponent in a game at Carrow Road.

He got sent off - but that right hook was MAGNIFICENT!