Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

The Midfield

So far this season, it seems evident that results and performances largely depend on how our midfield performs. Brilliant at times, but completely not at the races at others. Today was most certainly the latter. I thought we were so sluggish today - not urgent or alert and misplaced so many passes.

I also found it bemusing how Newcastle seem to out number us in midfield - despite playing with a man less in that area.

It was only until after half time that we started to string a few passes together and play with any conviction that we looked convincing. That was until AN subbed Tettey for Hoolahan and the rest is history. We had no one to protect our leaky defence.

I hope AN learns from this - he basically admitted to it in the post match interview - and I hope this match prepares us for the tricky run of games coming up.

Against the bigger teams, I would actually like to see Tettey and Mulumbu protecting the back four. Watford, with Capoue and Watson, have done this successfully - conceding only 7 goals this season (before the Arsenal game!)

We are too vulnerable defensively and will get spanked by the bigger teams!

We will have missed the Bradley Johnson influence at times and perhaps Vladis moved a step nearer to selection today.

At times also, and as good as they can be, neither Howson nor Dorrans offer quite enough between them, either in defence or in attack.

Agree with the Tettey/Mulumbu combination. ''Safe mode'' is required for a while and probably until the leaky defence can be improved during the next window.

"it seems results and performances largely depend on how our midfield performs" I think that could be said about every professional football team in the world.

"I also found it bemusing how Newcastle seem to out number us in midfield - despite playing with a man less in that area." Ayoze Perez continually drops deep and runs the flanks in more of an attacking midfield role. Also neither team dominated midfield up until Tettey went off, both teams were far to open.

As you said Neil basically admitted taking Tettey of was a mistake, so what is their to learn?

I am of the same opinion re Tettey & Mulumbu. Play both of them and have a look at the defence.

I also think certain players need to know that their place is not nailed on, no matter how badly they play.

Realistic defensive options are Rudd, Wisdom, Bennett & Toffolo. I''m not suggesting introducing all 4 at the same time.

Left back''s a bit of a conundrum. Jarvis and Brady seem to work well together, so perhaps that means Brady at left back as I''m not sure how else you''d incorporate the two of them in the team.

I agree with the point on Howson though, doesn''t produce enough fireworks or hold the ball up well enough to be playing as an attacking midfielder. Always have preferred him playing deeper.

I felt Olsson and Brady looked promising on the left. My concern is central defence and right back. Whittakers to inconsistent, much like Martin, and i''m not a fan of Wisdom. Is Ryan Bennett good enough? He''s barely kicked a ball in 3 years!

@Yellow and Green

Yes, in a game that was completely open until Tettey went off. At 3-2 we were on the front foot, Neil decided to make a gamble that didn''t pay off, these things happen.

To add, my point was aimed you saying Neil needs to learn from the Tettey mistake, despite saying he''s already admitted he made a mistake?

I never said their wasn''t things to learn with the rest of the squad.

Personally I enjoy the attacking style we play, however if we are going to play with our FB’s bombing on then we run the risk of leaving ourselves exposed at the back,.

So what can we do to limit/negate quick breaks and support the two CB’s.

IMO, we should close down the opposition high up the field, give them something to worry about so they can’t play from their penalty area to ours with one or two passes, slowing them down also gives our FB’s the chance to get back into their defensive position.

Coupled with this, our midfield should at least break into a sprint toward our goal and/or track the opposition as they run passed them.

I saw very little of this today, in fact I have seen very little of it this season, what I have seen is us letting them play out almost unfettered and most of our midfield jogging back at best. This of course puts massive pressure on the CB’s (and the keeper), no wonder we concede a few. I agree sometimes individuals (defenders) could have done better but they are often outnumbered and/or are facing on rushing opposition players who are not being tracked by our midfielders therefoe pulling them out of position.

Defending is a team responsibility just as attacking is.

Is this the fault of the individual players, are they told to perform these tasks and are ignoring instructions or have they not been coached in this ‘skill’?

I know not the answer to this question, but surely if we can improve in these areas then we may see an improvement all round.

Finally, I wonder whether there is a correlation between the above and the km’s run per game stats mentioned elsewhere.

[quote user="morty"]Sorry, but just "no" to playing two defensive midfielders.[/quote]

quite.

That solves us conceding less, what it does not solve is winning games or even keeping clean sheets.

two holding mids takes away from our buildup. It invites Hughton-esque play that many on this board often said with pride that "they would rather we went down and played attractive football, than play like this week in week out."

AN needs to do what he can with what we''ve got right now. Whether that means introducing Toffolo, Wisdom, Malumbu and/or Ofoe I''m not sure. We just need to survive above the bottom 3 until January.

We learnt a lot yesterday.

4141 is far more effective for us than 4231

That we need to defend as a team from the striker.

Redmond is a genuine prem threat,   but comes at a cost defensively;   one that means the linked full back has to actually focus on defending rather than attacking.

Wes - makes the side tick but is a poor sub;  start or dont use - if injured let him recover - it was noticable today that no one was demanding the ball which is what wes does;   it makes space for others with that willingness and he moves the ball on quickly,  something we didnt do as a team often enough yesterday (our first goal the first time we pinged it on quickly - too pedestrian otherwise - ball pace always more important than foot pace)

Tettey - is a vital enabler for the team even when below his best;   he is the crutch the other midfielders rely on to do their defensive duty.   I think mulumbu may also do this role well,   but tettey is unique currently in this for us.

Howson remains an enigma; an extremely talented player,  oozes class,  as fit as anyone in the squad and a likeable chap.  Does that makes us create excuses for him?  he cant always be out of position which is what we get when he is wide left or right, deep in the past and now at what is is best position in teh hole.   Is the truth that he is highly versatile valuable member of the squad who has better options than him in each position?  He is currently off the boil with 3 consecutive under par games (nothing wrong with that) and perhaps just needs a rest to revitalise him.