Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

9 Games In

These are obviously my opinions but would like to know your thoughts.Played                       Predicted             Result             Performance         For                 AgainstPalace                       D                         L                     Good                     One               ThreeSunderland               D                         W                    Good                     Three             OneStoke                        W                        D                     Good                     One                OneSouthampton            L                         L                      Poor                      Nil                 ThreeBournemouth           W                        W                    Good                     Three              OneLiverpool                  L                         D                    Average                 One                 OneWest Ham                 L                          D                    Good                      Two                TwoLeicester                  W                         L                    Average                  One                TwoNewcastle                D                          L                    Poor                       Two                Six                                (12 points)            (9 points)                                      (14 Goals)       (20 Goals)From my early season predictions (which didn''t take into account things like managerial changes or season form) I had us on 12 points. We currently sit on 9. Although game performance will change depending on peoples opinions, I believe that in the majoirty of our games so far we have put in a good account of ourselves.We have scored an impressive 14 goals so far, and have only failed to score in one game (in which we spent the majority with 10men).However... we have conceded a league-high of 20... which is utterly appauling from these fixtures.(sorry about bar allignment - it''s rather hard on these old forums)

The general level of our performances and much of our play has been better than I perhaps expected and gives us a fighting chance of staying up.

However, partly through luck,partly through naivity and partly through some appalling defending I think our points tally is disappointing and below par for the fixtures we have had and having regard to the fixtures we have coming up. We really, really need to beat West Brom and Swansea in the home games coming up or else I fear we are in for a real battle with four or five other sides down at the bottom.

Neil has impressed and I think shown himself to have a lot to learn in equal measure, the latest example being not picking Wes and then taking Tettey off yesterday with the latter being one of the worst decisions I can recall. I''''m also concerned at his failure to organise the defence but in fairness to him I think Mulumbu''s injury has been a big blow and he can only work with what he has. He''s a quick learner and I expect us to improve defensively in the next few games by giving our sub standard defenders some better protection.

The other man who I hope watched that game yesterday very uncomfortably was David Mcnally because we are now seeing the manifestation of his complete and utter failure to strengthen us defensively in the transfer window which may well cost us big time if we take a few more tonkings between now and January. This is not talking with the benefit of hindsight, we all knew the defence was not good enough and that is why so many were so despondent on transfer deadline day when we realised nothing had been done about it. A huge failure and one that is quite difficult to forgive if it ultimately sees us get relegated.

What’s worrying is that in one third of our games we have not shown up. Southampton was just awful, Leicester we didn’t play for an hour and yesterday we just didn’t bother defending.

Newcastle didn’t have to work hard to score six, they didn’t even look that good. That’s the scary thing.

I agree NCFC198, defending from both sides was poor with 5 goals in 20 minutes - hardly premier league standard!

Unfortunately for us we let them score 6 relatively poor goals.