Sign in to follow this  
Budgie

What Is The Record Reserves Attendance?

I have always wondered about this - and I am certain someone on this forum will know the answer.

I think the answer is somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 believe it or not and I shall explain why.

During the 1959 cup run I did all the queuing up to get dad his tickets (lucky me!) and on a couple of occasions the tickets were on sale on a Saturday afternoon.

Usually the reserves would be playing but punters would go through the turnstiles to buy their tickets, go in the ground - and straight out again. But some of them then returned to the turnstiles to purchase further tickets.

One Saturday the kept the gates shut and the stewards refused to open them until half-time!

The massive crowd had to go somewhere so they filled up the terraces.

For some reason I seem to think the game was City reserves against Reading.

I have always remembered standing at the River End entrance and seeing all the terraces absolutely packed to the seams.

So, all you stat fiends see if you can answer the question for me.

I must have been following you around in those days Budgie, yes I was there as well but somehow managed to "escape" after getting my precious ticket.

We used to get 38,000 gate in those days and I think many of them were there that match.

You''re right abot the 38000 Jim but my memory is a little foggy as to how we sqeezed more than 42000+ in for the Leicester cup-tie 2-3 years later. What changed in order to alllow for that increase?