Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Olsson Overweight!

Most overweight according to the NHS...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/most-overweight-premier-league-players-6656820

Actually Ruddy did look a bit biggish, but I put that down to the rather fetching rouge-pink strip he was adorned in.

Hoolahan?! Overweight?!

What on earth is this rubbish?!

BMI is kind of irrelevant in sport anyway, as it doesn''t account for muscle mass etc.

Plus, I wonder what the NHS BMI calculator thinks of players currently performing at the Rugby World Cup...

#slownewsday

[quote user="AJ"]Hoolahan?! Overweight?!

What on earth is this rubbish?!

BMI is kind of irrelevant in sport anyway, as it doesn''t account for muscle mass etc.

Plus, I wonder what the NHS BMI calculator thinks of players currently performing at the Rugby World Cup...

#slownewsday[/quote]

precisely AJ; ok for the general population but no pro athletes - a complete non article.

I first became aware of this when the great Matthew Pinsent was classed as clinically obese while winning his 4 olympic golds...

Load of bo**ocks!

As others have said BMI is just a rough guide for the "average" person.

I''ve got a mate who''s in the gym every night, he''s built like a brick sh*t house but isn''t very tall. Going by the NHS bmi calculator he''s verging clincally obese. Compact muscle mass weighs more than a beer gut.

BMI is a waste of space anyway, only a moron would think it was anywhere approaching representative.

As others have said BMI is not an accurate indicator and is distorted by muscle mass which is much heavier than fat. I have a much lower BMI than Martin Olsson but sadly (for me) I have also a beer belly whilst he is in very good shape. He''s going to only get fitter with more matches. It''s worth remembering he did miss pre season which is massive for a player.

Also worth mentioning that whilst Ruddy is ''heavy'' that this again isnt unusual for a goalkeeper. Goalkeepers are actually conditioned slightly definitely to outfit players and are encouraged to be a bit heavier as it protects them from the impact of having to dive around a lot and makes them less prone to injuries.

Good job Holty moved on.
John Hartson remains the biggest unit I''ve seen, followed by Jan Molby, David Rocastle was hardly in peak shape when we had him, Steve Walsh looked like two centre backs, Tudur-Jones had a bit of "timber".

Jan Molby, Rob Newman and Bryan Gunn. That must be any uphill battle for any fitness coach back in 1995

Olsson has been to the gym I go to on occasions. He''s pretty ''ripped'', certainly not body fat! It has no bearing on speed either - just look at some of the ''All Blacks''.

Interesting how short Olsson is! I had no idea, he''s 5''7. No wonder he always seems to be beaten at the far post for headers coming in from our right hand side (whittaker not stopping them!)