Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Not Panic stations but starting to feel a bit twitchy

after Saturday 10 games into the season and we and everyone else will have a very good idea as to the rest of the season ahead with more that a quarter of the season behind us. If we win on Saturday then 12 points from those games will be seen as a respectable return albeit concern about the goals against and a few points dropped against stoke and west ham which could have made a massive difference to the total at the end of the season.

should we lose especially on the back of the Newcastle nightmare and against another 6 pointer team then the immediate future looks very dark and we will have fallen behind the 1 point a game curve realistically needed to stay up with some big team fixtures on the horizon.

AN is still an asset and he has stated he is working on his January transfer list, but so will everyone else and a lot depends on our points tally come January. There are 6 ordinary teams about in particular all in the bottom 6. The 3 newly promoted sides are starting to find going a bit harder, Villa may be the next to change manager. The big win by Newcastle does not make them a good side overnight but it will be a massive confidence boost and the result of the NE derby will be significant for more than just those clubs

I am still optimistic that we can stay up but less so then a few weeks ago and even if we are successful it will go down to the wire. One thing for sure though if we continue to leak goals at the rate we have up to now then relegation will be probable . Here we go into the big fixture on saturday hopeful of a positive reaction and rarely were 3 points more needed for us

Agree with that Yorkshire. The amount of goals conceded, the most in the league, is most concerning and the few points dropped could end up costing us dearly. Here''s hoping for an improved display Saturday and 3 more points in the bag.

When the fixture list came out I felt that a return of 12-15 points from the opening 10 games would be a solid start and set us up for a season in which we could keep our heads above water relegation wise. Despite the defensive hooror show last Sunday we can still come in at the botom end of the above points range.

I agree with the OP that a defeat tomorrow will leave us looking in a precarious position since games against Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the next five are unlikely to yield much and could leave us with a GD much worse than that of others. Home wins against West Brom and Swansea will likely leave us with 15 points from 14 games and a visit to Watford to follow. That would be a satisfacrory position from which to tackle the rest of the season. 

It is unsurprising given the failure to upgrade the right side of defence that we find ourselves in this unenviable situation. We have had the gentleness of possible starts to the season but life begins to get somewhat more tricky with Citey, Chelsea, Arsenal etc over the next few games. We don''t have a PL defence, what other outcome was likely?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]

When the fixture list came out I felt that a return of 12-15 points from the opening 10 games would be a solid start and set us up for a season in which we could keep our heads above water relegation wise. Despite the defensive hooror show last Sunday we can still come in at the botom end of the above points range.

I agree with the OP that a defeat tomorrow will leave us looking in a precarious position since games against Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the next five are unlikely to yield much and could leave us with a GD much worse than that of others. Home wins against West Brom and Swansea will likely leave us with 15 points from 14 games and a visit to Watford to follow. That would be a satisfacrory position from which to tackle the rest of the season. 

[/quote]
^^^ this.
I think we will grow into the season, we are going about things in the right way, and despite a few misgivings about the quality of our defence, I think this is most about how alex is setting things up, the whole team needs to be more disciplined when we dont have the ball, and players have to track back when required. We need to be a bit more streetwise too, probably my only real criticism of the manager is that his inexperience really is showing at times.
That said I still think we will be alright.

I totally agree Yorkshire AN is a fine manager who is learning his trade and building the club how he wants it scouts coaches all takes time

my main worry is if he sticks with players who are not performing to get a reaction instead of dropping players to get a reaction

people say the players who are on the bench / reserve backup players are not good enough well lets see them have a chance because at the moment the first team are not performing you cannot keep playing a goalkeeper that lets in so many shots to goal ratio a right hand side of the defence that is so weak other teams attack the weakness if you continue to do that then yes the future will only go one way time to give some players a rocket and for some dropped to the bench

the premier league is a funny one and any team can beat anyone so against the top team we might well get something but not with a under performing team time to change some out of form players

For me, the point tally amassed so far is way under "budget". Imho, 4-5 points below what I see as a fair return.

A win vs WBA; which is a must-win anyway, will get us to 12 points from 10 games, a ratio (1.2) which will keep us at around 44 points come end of the season.

So it is not all doom and gloom, but if we do not beat WBA; we are likely heading for a place in the relegation zone sometime in November, and the pressure will be well and truly on.

IF we get to 12 points from 10 games, it is still less than expected given the level of the opposition we have faced in the first 10 games, imho.

League games until New Year:

Sat Oct 31 Manchester City A

Sat Nov 7 Swansea City H

Sat Nov 21 Chelsea A

Sun Nov 29 Arsenal (4.15pm) H

Sat Dec 5 Watford A

Sat Dec 12 Everton (12.45pm) H

Sat Dec 19 Manchester United A

Sat Dec 26 Tottenham Hotspur A

Mon Dec 28 Aston Villa H

Looks like 6 points to me (point against Swans, Watford, Everton, and a win vs Villa), and if that happens, we will be at either 18p from 19 games or 15p from 19 games, which is relegation form.

I''m sure all of your respective doctors can help your with a pill to treat the twitching and a topical cream to soothe.

I''m sure it''s a natural part of getting older.

After consulting this table of who the form teams are, across all divisions in 2015, we clearly have nothing to worry about.[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled_zpsx9zqnbeu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled_zpsx9zqnbeu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That''s a bit misleading, as it''s includes last season''s part of 2015, we''re definitely not 6th on form this.

[quote user="ec-p"]That''s a bit misleading, as it''s includes last season''s part of 2015, we''re definitely not 6th on form this.[/quote]Indeed, my post was, obviously, slightly tongue in cheek.