Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Manager's first real test.

Everything in the Carrow Road garden has been pretty sweet since Alex Neil arrived at the club.  Even any defeats this season  have had a modicum of bad luck attached, through ref''s decisions or just good play from the opposition and only the occasional setback.   But Sunday was a very important turning point in our season imo.  The manner of the defeat was one that left me thinking - how are we going to approach games against teams with the kind of quality that Newcastle have. Yes they were bottom, but they still have potential and pace and good players - as teams right through the division do.   The message from Sunday suggests that something needs to be done.  Palace, Southampton, Leicester and now spectacularly Newcastle, got it right - and more clubs will follow suit, unless we adapt.  It could be said that teams will start to find us out now, having seen us play a few times - and worked out how to beat us.  So AN will have his work cut out to get the balance right from now on.  We will surely have to  temper our play a little more to restrain too much enthusiasm for getting forward, with a little more attention to defending.  So does this mean a change of approach, or will we carry on as we have, taking the game to teams?   As long as score eough goals doing that, we should see loads of entertainment, but will the better quality of other teams more often than not catch us out?  We don''t want to end up doing a Blackpool.  Or do we do what I don''t really want us to do - defend against certain clubs and attack against others.  That may be a pragmatic approach, but one fraught with danger, because once you start trying to change the mentality too much from match to match, teams can start losing their way.  To me the approach should always be positive......but then that''s what Blackpool did......    For what it''s worth I think AN will get it right, but I would hate to start seeing us play for clean sheets, because once you start doing that, you are just starting to think negatively.  Goals win games. Not clean sheets.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I would hate to start seeing us play for clean sheets, because once you start doing that, you are just starting to think negatively.  Goals win games. Not clean sheets.[/quote]I really can''t believe I just read that! [:S]Why did that never occur to you when everybody else was saying it (except you) during Hughton''s tenure? [:''(]

[quote user="lake district canary"]For what it''s worth I think AN will get it right, but I would hate to start seeing us play for clean sheets, because once you start doing that, you are just starting to think negatively.  Goals win games. Not clean sheets. [/quote]
I presume, based upon your Hughton comments yesterday and today, this line is some sort of sick joke.

As you well know, Lapps, I never thought that the intention was to be negative under Hughton. Practically, it turned out that way, but as I said in the op, trying to set up to be tight at the back has the opposite effect of stifling the front players, unless you are a club with the resources to buy the best. So what is the answer? Go tight at the back and then see us struggle to score goals, in the hope that we can develop the confidence to add to the attack as the season progresses? Or carry on attacking and seeing us entertain, but lose? Or can we be good enough to attack and win enough games to keep us up?

[quote user="grefstad"]So what is this, oneliner heaven, with the usual suspects leading the way? Get a life[/quote]
Have you ever considered writing something vaguely intelligent on this forum, or do you just continuously post on here to complain about the ''usual suspects'' not conforming to whatever ideological view you have?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="grefstad"]So what is this, oneliner heaven, with the usual suspects leading the way? Get a life[/quote]
Have you ever considered writing something vaguely intelligent on this forum, or do you just continuously post on here to complain about the ''usual suspects'' not conforming to whatever ideological view you have?[/quote]He also complains about it being a "oneliner heaven", with a ...............oneliner. [:S]

LDC changes his opinions to suit his agenda.

Basically your OP contradicted your whole viewpoint and defence of Chris Hughton for nearly 18 months.

You''re a massive wind-up coc k womble.

My perception of this post is a saddo desperate for attention in a way normally reserved for spoiled children.

Your recent activity on this board suggests a deeper need which I fear will not be satisfied.

You seem to have silenced a few and now see it as open season. If you actually knew something about footy you may just achieve the status you crave, unfortunately for you you know jack sh1t so don''t hold your breathe.

What a load of over reactive guff.  It''s a thread about our present footballing predicament and all some can do is ignore that and get personal.    Keyboard warriors doing what they do best.  My views about Hughton are irrelevant. This is about this seson, not whatever my views are about the past.  My comments about Hughton on another thread are irrelevant but anyway don''t contradict anything I say on this one.  He failed and he is gone, but he still deserves respect imo for what he tried to do.   This thread is about our situation now. If you don''t agree with it or don''t want to comment on it, fine, just ignore it.  All you have done by responding in the way you have is make yourselves look stupid.

Your attention seeking over the last few weeks has become unbearable, hardly surprising that you provoke a reaction. Of course that''s what you get off of so enjoy.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Your attention seeking over the last few weeks has become unbearable, hardly surprising that you provoke a reaction. Of course that''s what you get off of so enjoy.[/quote]You are wrong. Overbearing I may have been, but attention is only got by people reacting.  You reacted, but all I did was start a reasonable thread about our present day predicament. Read it again, if you can be bothered and try and take it at face value.  I sometimes can''t believe how so many delicate egos there are that get offended so easily. But then that isn''t really my problem. It''s a thread asking about the response we need to the 6-2, that''s all. Sorry if it offended you and others, but then if you going to be offended so easily, again that''s not my problem.

I suspect that, fairly soon someone will call Lakey a rude name, it''ll be their own fault for reacting, then the report button will be pressed again...

[quote user="morty"]I suspect that, fairly soon someone will call Lakey a rude name, it''ll be their own fault for reacting, then the report button will be pressed again...[/quote]I could have pressed the report button on this tread already, but haven''t. I am hoping that common sense will prevail and people will either ignore, or if they do reply, at least reply about the footballing points to do with the op.

Now why would you want to hit the report button Lakey as i have only spotted just the one remark of a personal nature ? Yes it was a tad insensitive and not needed but blimey you don''t half set yourself up for it.Whilst i have to hand it to you for stepping out from behind your computer a year or so ago and accepting the invite to chat over a pint which more than can be said for numerous others your efforts of late on here do have me wondering what your motivation is to plough with thread after thread twisting and turning this way and that.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Now why would you want to hit the report button Lakey as i have only spotted just the one remark of a personal nature ? Yes it was a tad insensitive and not needed but blimey you don''t half set yourself up for it.Whilst i have to hand it to you for stepping out from behind your computer a year or so ago and accepting the invite to chat over a pint which more than can be said for numerous others your efforts of late on here do have me wondering what your motivation is to plough with thread after thread twisting and turning this way and that.[/quote]

I  didn''t want to report and didn''t - but could have, because that is what the report button is for.  Also, I wasn''t aware that I had twisted one way or the other.  If I dare to mention Hughton certain people leap forwrds - but my Hughton views are fairly consistent - I supported him - but that doesn''t mean I enjoyed watching every game, or the style of football.  My hope was always that his methods would bear fruit eventually - but things got into a viscious circle that meant it was inevitable he would fail in the end.   I just want the record straight with what he did.  There are those who swear blind we never ever attacked or looked positive, ever - and that just isn''t the case. As for my motivation, I may have been too overbearing recently, but then personal events as I have described elsewhere have meant I have not been able to get to any games so far this season - which is a cause of frustration for me. That frustration may have spilled over on to here, but I''m not going to apologise for it because most of my remarks are football related and should be taken so.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Don''t be silly Lakey, we all knew what you were on about![/quote]And there lies the problem.  People simply don''t seem to be able to take things at face value on here.  Hughton was not on my mind at all writing this - my only concern writing this thread was for the aftermath of the 6-2 and how we might adapt.  Lapps thought he saw something in it and the rest followed. I have a reputation for being on a wind up or somesuch, but there are quite a few people who understand where I am coming from and have shown me support. Unfortunately, this thread is just another example of people jumping on a bandwagon that doesn''t exist. That is frankly their problem, not mine. Taken at face value this thread is not controversial in the slightest.

I think it would be a tad better Lakey if you just let a few posters reply to you rather than you jump in straight after every response then your threads might only run to a couple of pages instead of a dozen. [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I think it would be a tad better Lakey if you just let a few posters reply to you rather than you jump in straight after every response then your threads might only run to a couple of pages instead of a dozen. [:P][/quote]

Maybe!  But if  people respond or ask questions, it''s only polite to answer them.