Sign in to follow this  
Kidderminster Exile

They have got the message

Looks like West Brom fans have got the message re Pullis

From a west brom forum

Why go to Norwich?

What''s the point of getting up at sparrows fart, travelling for 3 to 4 hours, sitting watching drab, tactically inept, repetitive drivel that passes for footy. Losing. Coming all the way back. Then moaning about it all week? Can someone explain? At least when we were lower down we had some sort of target. It''s don''t lose at all costs now...dreadful. I love football and I love my Club, but these past few weeks have seen my passion dry up. There seems to be no end to this feeling of boredom. If we do win by 3 clear goals for a change instead of the lucky one effort then I may change my outlook, but I can''t see it happening at present. Yeah were not in the bottom 3 and we can laugh at our neighbours but ... Is that it?

Read more at http://boards.footymad.net/westbromwichalbion-mad/2109741788/#DSrqM2ZcqZSB37pm.99

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]Looks like West Brom fans have got the message re Pullis

From a west brom forum

Why go to Norwich?

What''s the point of getting up at sparrows fart, travelling for 3 to 4 hours, sitting watching drab, tactically inept, repetitive drivel that passes for footy. Losing. Coming all the way back. Then moaning about it all week? Can someone explain? At least when we were lower down we had some sort of target. It''s don''t lose at all costs now...dreadful. I love football and I love my Club, but these past few weeks have seen my passion dry up. There seems to be no end to this feeling of boredom. If we do win by 3 clear goals for a change instead of the lucky one effort then I may change my outlook, but I can''t see it happening at present. Yeah were not in the bottom 3 and we can laugh at our neighbours but ... Is that it?

Read more at http://boards.footymad.net/westbromwichalbion-mad/2109741788/#DSrqM2ZcqZSB37pm.99[/quote]

Sounds like a familiar story.  It is a curse of the Premier League system that encourages a negative style footballing attitude.  My great hope with Hughton was that his systematic approach would eventually bear fruit in terms of attack, but it seems that with Pulis and quite a few other clubs in previous seasons, once you get in a mindset that is based on survival and stifling your attack in the process, it is difficult to get out of it.  You might just survive in the league - or not - in our case - but it makes watching the team very difficult. 

I for one would rather we were relegated under AN than endure another season of a Hughton like anti football. The champs is a much better alternative to that plus the hope of a play off or promotion to aim for.

I would have thought a comparison of Pullis to Hughton was pretty relevant, especially given our recent experience of Hughton.

[quote user="lake district canary"]My great hope with Hughton was that his systematic approach would eventually bear fruit in terms of attack[/quote]
Mmm, a "systematic" approach.
A systematic annihilation of any style or attacking flair - tick
A systematic fear of the halfway line - tick
A systematic destruction of supporter enthusiasm and goodwill - tick
I guess I see what you are saying.

Just wondering. Who on hindsight would have prefered it had we employed a negative don'' t lose at all costs approach at Newcastle. A boring nil nil would have given us a point. I rather think it is horses for courses and sometimes it pays off ()for Boro at home last season). Everyone would moan, but sometimes its good when your team gives that kind of performance. But not every game.

I guess droundi it depends whether or not you have lashed out a lot of money and spent forever on a coach. Personally I would like, at least, a little entertainment.

Well I would rather have an up & at em approach as from AN or (in a different way) Lambert rather than a Hughton style defend the point approach, even if you do sometimes come off worse.

And we should not forget that at 3-2 down we dominated possession and chances for the first part of the second half. It was a tactical error of taking off Tettey that turned the game against us not just the approach of going for it.

Yes AN needs to improve tactically as he did last season (eg when we played Boro in the final compared to the game at CR). And yes our defence could do with tightening up and IMO some changes to the starting lineup. But I''d rather go down with all guns blazing than set out at every away game to get a point.

[quote user="morty"]I guess droundi it depends whether or not you have lashed out a lot of money and spent forever on a coach. Personally I would like, at least, a little entertainment.[/quote]
I think thats a painful reality.
As evidenced by the Hughton era, where the season-ticket holders eventually had enough in that game against West Brom.
If you''d only been to a couple games, maybe seen a win, and watched the rest on 240kbps streams whilst browsing the Internet, I doubt you quite have the same mindset, and are likely to be far more forgiving about the mind-numbingly dull performances.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]I guess droundi it depends whether or not you have lashed out a lot of money and spent forever on a coach. Personally I would like, at least, a little entertainment.[/quote]
As evidenced by the Hughton era, where the season-ticket holders eventually had enough in that game against West Brom.
If you''d only been to a couple games, maybe seen a win, and watched the rest on 240kbps streams whilst browsing the Internet, I doubt you quite have the same mindset, and are likely to be far more forgiving about the mind-numbingly dull performances.
[/quote]
Couldnt agree more. Following City away under Hughton was just awful, you just knew there was little chance of getting anything from the game, and it really became more of a habitual chore, than anything resembling enjoyment. Last season, under Sir Alex every single away game I went to was just amazing, Bolton and Brighton especially.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]I guess droundi it depends whether or not you have lashed out a lot of money and spent forever on a coach. Personally I would like, at least, a little entertainment.[/quote]
[/quote]
Couldnt agree more. Following City away under Hughton was just awful, you just knew there was little chance of getting anything from the game, and it really became more of a habitual chore, than anything resembling enjoyment. Last season, under Sir Alex every single away game I went to was just amazing, Bolton and Brighton especially.
[/quote]

Was Sunderland away under Hughton a chore?  A 0-0, but a strong attacking performance.  Crystal palace away, where we drew having taken the lead?  Cardiff away a chore or were we attacking that whole game?  Was West Ham away a chore, watching us dominate and attack for most of the game? (Not talking about subs, just the level of attacking attitude from the start of the game).   These last two games were lost, but they were games which we needed to attack and did.  Had we won them, we would have stayed up. That''s five games out of Hughton''s last eight away games that were attack minded performances.  The Aston Villa game was hard to take, but we attacked that and took the lead there, before succumbing to Benteke.   You can complain about the results, the finishing, the substitutions etc, but you can''t complain imo that we didn''t set out to win or at least get something from those games.   That''s every away game from after the excellent 2-0 away game at West Brom in December where we did what teams have been doing to us this season - winning on the break.  Selective memories.  

Actually i prefer the have a go style any day. Just think with that style in the prem, and a weakish defense, we can expect a few results like last Sunday. Think what surprised everyone was a supposed struggling bottom of the table team turning us over like that. I actually think we were unlucky to not get a pen decision and had that happened we would not have been having to replace Tettey with Hoolihan, who undoubtedly helps in an attacking way, but further weakened us and left the defensive frailties of our side open to clinical finishing.

I usually stay out of the Hughton debates (or all debates, for that matter) but i''m afraid hearing Palace away under Hughton described as an ''attacking performance'' means i have to break my own rule.What a load of utter drivel.I''m not sure what game you were watching on a stream that day, Lakey, but it sure wasn''t the same game that 2,000 other City fans and i saw at Selhurst. It was dire, and we were lucky to head home with a point from our only shot on target.You make some valid points at times. Don''t ruin it by spouting utter rubbish in an effort to reinforce your points.

Sorry, that should read - ''lucky to head home with a point from our only meaningful shot on target''.

[quote user="lake district canary"] You can complain about the results, the finishing, the substitutions etc, but you can''t complain imo that we didn''t set out to win or at least get something from those games.   That''s every away game from after the excellent 2-0 away game at West Brom in December where we did what teams have been doing to us this season - winning on the break.  Selective memories. [/quote]
I don''t believe league tables or results lie.
2013-14 season:
  • Norwich''s total of 28 league goals in total were the fewest in the 2013–14 Premier League season.
  • Only two teams, Fulham and Cardiff, conceded more goals than Norwich during the League Season.[1]
  • Norwich''s 14 away defeats was the most in the league.
  • Norwich''s 9 away points was the worst in the league.
  • Norwich''s 8 away defeats in a row was the joint worst in the league
Oh, and our away record which people are being "selective" about....
P19     W2 D3 L14   F11 A44
Assuming you went to all 19 games (I mean "you" generically, obviously I wouldn''t be so stupid as to suggest you would go to any more than a handful) and it cost an average of £100 a game, it''s reasonable to think there are better things to do with your Saturdays like, I don''t know, stabbing yourself in the face with a cocktail stick while a busker plays the hits of Justin Bieber.
I think I''ll leave it there before I call you something rhyming with "Banker", you press "REPORT" and I get another ban.
Good day!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]I guess droundi it depends whether or not you have lashed out a lot of money and spent forever on a coach. Personally I would like, at least, a little entertainment.[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Was Sunderland away under Hughton a chore?  A 0-0, but a strong attacking performance.  Crystal palace away, where we drew having taken the lead?  Cardiff away a chore or were we attacking that whole game?  Was West Ham away a chore, watching us dominate and attack for most of the game? (Not talking about subs, just the level of attacking attitude from the start of the game).   These last two games were lost, but they were games which we needed to attack and did.  Had we won them, we would have stayed up. That''s five games out of Hughton''s last eight away games that were attack minded performances.  The Aston Villa game was hard to take, but we attacked that and took the lead there, before succumbing to Benteke.   You can complain about the results, the finishing, the substitutions etc, but you can''t complain imo that we didn''t set out to win or at least get something from those games.   That''s every away game from after the excellent 2-0 away game at West Brom in December where we did what teams have been doing to us this season - winning on the break.  Selective memories.  

[/quote]
Bloody hell, seriously?
Were those games enjoyable, were you there? Did you spend hundreds of pounds and several hours on a coach? 
I couldnt care less your reasons for not attending games, but are you really that arrogant that you presume to know better in this case.
Unbelievable, even by your standards.

[quote user=" "]I usually stay out of the Hughton debates (or all

debates, for that matter) but i''m afraid hearing Palace away under

Hughton described as an ''attacking performance'' means i have to break my

own rule.What a load of utter drivel.I''m not sure what

game you were watching on a stream that day, Lakey, but it sure wasn''t

the same game that 2,000 other City fans and i saw at Selhurst. It was

dire, and we were lucky to head home with a point from our only shot on

target.You make some valid points at times. Don''t ruin it by spouting utter rubbish in an effort to reinforce your points.[/quote]

Sorry. You''re right.   I  can appreciate that people that go to all the matches got worn down by the poor results and sometimes poor performances, but I get fed up with people declaring everything about what Hughton did was terrible.   Sunderland away was

an excellent performance- and with attacking intent. Palace away was a

creditable point (ok, admittedly not a great attacking one), Cardiff way

we had so many attempts on goal it was unbelievable.  West ham we should

have beaten out of sight with the domination we had.  There were positive performances in there, if you were prepared to see them and    The overall picture under Hughton was not good, but the way people go overboard in their attempts to ridicule everything he did is not fair in my book.  Silent Bor can spout statistics and lack of goals, but the argument that we never attacked is not accurate.

Maybe we just attacked incredibly badly and very rarely.

If an average away trip costs £100 and those fans saw 11 goals in all away games, that is a very high entertainment ratio.

Houghton failed. Deal with it.

Why are there so many threads about Hughton these days?

Do we have fifth columnists trying to rewrite history and undermine our present manager with tales of swashbuckling football under the turgid man?

[quote user="Silent Bor"]Maybe we just attacked incredibly badly and very rarely.

If an average away trip costs £100 and those fans saw 11 goals in all away games, that is a very high entertainment ratio.

Houghton failed. Deal with it.[/quote]

I have dealt with it.  He failed.  But scoring goals was not the issue here - it was about the intention of the team and if people want to we never tried to score or never attacked - then they are just wrong.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]It''s the truth. Hughton teams did attack away from home, particularly games that were effectively six pointers.  So no need for the profanities.

[/quote]
We might have ventured forwards every now and again, got confused as Hughton''s coaching only took them as far as the half way line, lost the ball and somehow got countered despite us only having one or two players up the pitch.
It''s not that we NEVER attacked. We RARELY attacked and when we did the only player who could really take us up the pitch and create or score was Snodgrass, who you dislike. There''s irony in their somewhere.

[quote user="morty"]Lol, yeah we''ll leave it there, I can see what''s happening here...[/quote]

Yes. Me too.  People have selective memories.  It was always a mixed bag under Hughton - frustrating - but mixed.  Also what annoy me, while we''re at it,  is the "spending hundreds of pounds watching games" comments, as I have already proved several times that I spend more than the average home fan per season watching games.  Eight to ten games for me a season costs around £2000 plus - not including over night stay costs.

Eight to ten games for me a season costs around £2000 plus - not including over night stay costs.

on that basis would have been to at least 2 so far this season ? wonder which 2 that was?.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Eight to ten games for me a season costs around £2000 plus - not including over night stay costs.

on that basis would have been to at least 2 so far this season ? wonder which 2 that was?.[/quote]

Haven''t been to any yet, but then that''s what happens when you are a long way away, have a job and recently a bereavement in the family to deal with. You people that can go to many games are good and dedicated supporters, but in financial terms (which people keep raising) you are not "better" supporters, which is often the inference. The guy who lives in Canada or Australia and who maybe spends £2000 to come and see one game a season is just as good in financial terms as a supporter who goes to every game in the season. Your view of the game is privileged if you go to it, but it is not the only view - especially when games can be followed live on tv or streams.  The arrogance on here - if there is any - is shown by those who think theirs is the only one that matters because they were at the game.   My point stands - and always has - you can beat Hughton with every stick in the book, but the facts are that there were quite a few games in both seasons with Hughton where we gave it a good go.  Bad it was at times and towards the end the pressure was too much, but if people want to take an objective view - which they surely should be able to now - they would agree that oh yeh, that season was a very tight one throughout the lower half of the league and we did dominate a few games and with a little better finishing would have won a few more. Terrible second season it was overall, but in amongst it were some very good attempts to win matches.   But only if you can take an objective view.