Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Drop Ruddy Yes or No

[quote user="Making Plans"]Then why did the thread appear 10 minutes before the game yesterday had actually ended. Presumably the OP had seen something in the game that prompted him to start it.[/quote]Ooh, now amateur psychology / mindreading now?Threads mean different things depending on the time too?This is fascinating stuff.

The final straw maybe making plans?

You can only give someone the benefit of the doubt for so long and yesterday obviously rammed it home for some people.

Can you honestly say Ruddy had a good game yesterday?

Why don''t you answer my question.. can you honestly say Ruddy had a good game yesterday?

[quote user="Making Plans"]So which goals were his fault and why?[/quote]Off the top of my head, very poor on the second goal, should have been out quicker and got in the players face.But jeez, 6 shots and 6 goals, just by the law of averages he should have got in the way of one.But, most importantly its about what it has done to his confidence, and as pretty much everyone has said, its not just about yesterday, he just doesn''t  command his area the way he used to.

[quote user="STAN"]Why don''t you answer my question.. can you honestly say Ruddy had a good game yesterday?[/quote]IMO he was ok, had no chance with any of the goals and was better than most of the players. Your turn to answer my questions

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="STAN"]Why don''t you answer my question.. can you honestly say Ruddy had a good game yesterday?[/quote]IMO he was ok, had no chance with any of the goals and was better than most of the players. Your turn to answer my questions[/quote]No chance, really? Yeah there were some decent goals there, but they were hardly all worldies.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Making Plans"]So which goals were his fault and why?[/quote]Off the top of my head, very poor on the second goal, should have been out quicker and got in the players face.[/quote]So that''s one then. And the other 5?

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Making Plans"]So which goals were his fault and why?[/quote]Off the top of my head, very poor on the second goal, should have been out quicker and got in the players face.[/quote]So that''s one then. And the other 5?[/quote]Go back and read my posts again.Whatever it all means in your head, no one has actually said that all the goals were Ruddy''s fault, have they?And most people are of the opinion that he has been less than his best for a while now.If you actually read what people are saying rather than take your own inference, you''ll maybe get it.No one should be undroppable if they aren''t up to scratch, and that includes John Ruddy.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Trying to pin the blame on Ruddy for any of the goals is laughable omo. They were all clinical strikes apart from the last one which took a slight deflection.[/quote]Just for accuracy, who exactly is "pinning the blame" on Ruddy, for losing us the game?I''ll wait here a minute while you go read back.

Exactly Making Plans. He has been "ok" at best for far too long now. He set the tone with his dilly dallying in the first 5 minutes.

It''s ironic how most people are using Declan Rudds inexperience to defend Ruddy. Says it all really.

[quote user="morty"]I don''t think anyone here is overreacting in questioning Ruddy. Sure there will be knee jerk reactions because we shipped 6 goals, but there has been grumblings about Ruddy''s form for some time now.I couldn''t care less if they drop Ruddy, Martin, Whittaker, or all three of them, as long as it works.[/quote]

Quite right. We''ve conceded 20 goals in 9 games and failed to keep a clean sheet (in the league) all season. On top of that we often seem to concede as many goals as the opponent has shots on target. Six from six yesterday and there were a number of times last year where we would drop points after Ruddy conceded a goal from an opponents single shot on goal. And a game where he literally dropped the ball in his own net. To call this a "knee-jerk" reaction would be like calling the domestication of the dog a "quick transition".

Rudd on the other hand has played twice and kept a clean sheet against a Premier League outfit in the Intertoto-Mickey Mouse-Carling-Carlsberg-Corona-League Cup (or whatever it''s called). Surely a man with a record of one goal conceded in two games deserves a chance when the alternative has conceded 6? What''s the worst that could happen?

Personally although he deserves a chance I don''t see Rudd as a long term option. We really should have been purchasing genuine competition for Ruddy in the summer to ensure he had to work for his place in the team and we''re suffering for the clubs failure in the transfer market.

Ruddy doesn''t get down quick enough, maybe he''s too bulky. Doesn''t seem to be able to move his feet quick enough. He''s not the same keeper since that injury.

[quote user="morty"]I''ll wait here a minute while you go read back.[/quote]So we''re losing 6-2, the game hasn''t ended and the OP starts a thread called "Drop Ruddy - Yes or No"And you''re trying to tell us, even though nobody has actually come out & said it in so many words, that he''s not pointing the finger at Ruddy for yesterday.Come on, if it wasn''t because the OP had thought that Ruddy was at fault then why else was the thread started at that particular moment in time when, as far as I can tell, the OP has never posted anything about Ruddy before.Perhaps Dibbler would like to clarify the situation.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]I''ll wait here a minute while you go read back.[/quote]So we''re losing 6-2, the game hasn''t ended and the OP starts a thread called "Drop Ruddy - Yes or No"And you''re trying to tell us, even though nobody has actually come out & said it in so many words, that he''s not pointing the finger at Ruddy for yesterday.Come on, if it wasn''t because the OP had thought that Ruddy was at fault then why else was the thread started at that particular moment in time when, as far as I can tell, the OP has never posted anything about Ruddy before.Perhaps Dibbler would like to clarify the situation.

[/quote]Yes. I can completely see it now.His answer to the question, he himself posed, was "Sorry to say its now a Yes from me."Its obvious it means that he was 100% behind Ruddy before yesterdays game, and blames all 6 goals on him.

Why should Ruddy be blame free?

The majority have supported Ruddy and backed him for a number of years and seems emmune to getting criticised.

Rudd should be given a chance and no one is undroppable and that includes Ruddy.

[quote user="dibbler"]Why should Ruddy be blame free?

The majority have supported Ruddy and backed him for a number of years and seems emmune to getting criticised.

Rudd should be given a chance and no one is undroppable and that includes Ruddy.[/quote]NO!Thats not what you meant. Listen to Making Plans.

It is quite a simple post Yes or No with a majority for Yes.

I like most of the others in this post would like to see a change or Ruddy back to his best, before his injury.

[quote user="dibbler"]Why should Ruddy be blame free?

Rudd should be given a chance and no one is undroppable and that includes Ruddy.[/quote]1. I''ve got no problem with Ruddy being blamed if & when it''s due. Fact is he wasn''t to blame for the defeat on Sunday.2. Ruddy is not immune from being criticised - go back through this board over October, November & December last year & you''ll find several threads doing just that and calling for him to be dropped. At that time I would have agreed with that view.3. I agree that no one should be a nailed on selection every week, and that includes Ruddy.My defense of him on this occassion was as a result of the timing of your post & the fact that he was not responsible for our defeat. It''s pretty obvious that your conclusion was that it was his fault because he was the only player you picked out.As I said earlier in this thread, I''d drop 5 of them before I got to Ruddy.

[quote user="dibbler"]It is quite a simple post Yes or No with a majority for Yes. [/quote]On the other hand, fans in The Pink ''Un website polls have voted Ruddy Man Of The Match on 2 occassions (out of 8 appearances this season) and they have ranked him as our 4th best player to date. Opinion therefore would appear to differ somewhat depending on which poll look at.

You can''t solely blame Ruddy for us losing and conceding a lot of goals. It was a collection of very poor performances - both playing and managerial that saw to that. However, as Morty correctly points out I think you are entitled to put the performances of your goalkeeper under the microscope when you''ve let in 6 in a match and you''ve conceded the most goals of any side in the division.

I think he could have done better with the second goal and whilst none of the other goals are ''mistakes'' per se, I am worried about him technically. The top goalkeepers stand up for as long as possible, making the statement to attacker - ''beat me''. I felt all too often on Sunday Ruddy committed early, either making the attacker''s mind up for him or leaving him unable to adjust.

From my experiences of playing in goal (albeit at a poor level) you tend to make those kind of decisions when you''re out of form and not willing to trust your instincts. You''re effectively gambling almost on what the striker will do to try and buy yourself that extra bit of time to react.

Sadly, it''s difficult to shy away from the fact that John hasn''t reached the levels he hit prior to his injury at Everton back in late 2012. I honestly felt he was one of the top 10 keepers in the league on those showings and easily worth an England squad place.

These days I wonder how many other sides he''d actually improve and he''s completely fallen out of the reckoning with England. The fact Tom Heaton is selected ahead of him despite being in the Championship is a damming indictment of John''s place within the England setup.

It''s a big shout replacing him with Declan Rudd, in what is a crunch fixture but if it did happen I don''t think John could have many complaints based on his all round showings lately.

There can be little doubt that his performances have declined over the past several months, and his omission from the national squad is no coincidence! However, you can only play at the top of your game if the players in front of you give you unremitting confidence. Simply, they haven''t, as many supporters both on this board and otherwise suggest. I think Rudd should get his chance, and soon, but to drop Ruddy after the defensive performance in front of him on Sunday will do nothing for his confidence at all. He can be a match winner on his day and he has proved this again and again in his time here. I would rather see Whittaker, Ollson and Martin dropped. Like Ruddy I would keep Bassong in, although he didn''t cover himself in glory either on Sunday, but his presence, like Ruddys, should be retained for the next fixture imo.

Yes - Ruddy seems to have lost something compared with him at his best. He still gets down well to save for a big man, but Rudd seems more supple and agile. Ruddy seems to have lost his dominance of the area, which otherwise would give him an edge over Rudd.

I never have understood the hero worship he gets. He can be a good shot stopper like Judas Marshall and others before him but on so many levels, crosses under pressure, positioning, kicking out, getting down quick he is lacking. When Bunn took over during his injury he didn''t deserve to win his place back and you wonder what Rudd or the tea lady have to do to get in the side ahead of him.

YES drop him now.

Not the keeper he was.  His personal problems at home have clearly affected his form and he needs to be dropped.

Rudd doesn''t deserve to wait around whilst the guy in front of him is consistently not performing.

Always been a huge fan of Ruddy, but it''s time for him to have a spell on the bench. His performance yesterday was not good enough, should have got down quicker to the second, and just from memory, there were 2(??) which went straight across goal. Positioning should have been better.

I saw someone mention his reactions are slower - read a piece in the mirror today about overweight players. Olsson tops it and Ruddy about 5/6th. Says it all, doesnt it...

From what I''ve seen of Rudd this season and his time at Preston, he looks promising and deserves a chance. Along with Ryan Bennett who was solid vs West Brom last time he got a game.

Martin bashing - how poor was he Sunday?? Completely at sea for a couple of the goals.

Positives - Mulumbu coming back. Him and Tettey holding might help sturdy the defence until January where we can invest in a CB and RB...

But still, absolutely embarrassing on Sunday