Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Drop Ruddy Yes or No

Don''t think it''d be fair to put Rudd in at this point. You''ve all been harping on about how our defence is terrible - it''s a bit unfair to put a young keeper in the spotlight with no protection.

like others have said ruddy doesn''t get anywhere near the ball with a lot of the goals against us now that must be down to position ,

there will be times when you are in the correct position and the ball is in top right corner and you can do nothing about that we have all seen the best keepers in the world beaten that happens but to get nowhere near a lot of shots / goals is worrying ,

like I have said many times on here something happened when he was injured I think it has taken maybe 10 to 15 % out of his game maybe he has lost just a fraction of agility which is showing and that''s why top clubs ( arsenal ) didn''t want him he is not the keeper he once was and there is a reason can we drop him yes or course shot to goal ratio is terrible ,

Rudd might be young and it pains me to hear to early etc when do other teams play their youngsters ? when they are good enough that''s when not when they hit a certain age ...

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The goalkeeper is the easiest position to identify in a team and therefore probably the one that comes under closest scrutiny especially after a game like yesterday. No place to hide for a goalkeeper but Ruddy is a good keeper who would get a place in most Premiership sides. However he is not on top of his game at the moment but the question for me is would now be the right time for Rudd to step up if other shortcomings which have been well documented surrounding our leaky defence are left unresolved ?On another note good to see that the Pink Un thread thief has posted an identical thread elsewhere. [:(][/quote]TIL, here''s a list of the first choice PL keepers (and their deputies where the first choice is a long term injury):Arsenal            CechAston Villa        GuzanBournemouth        BorucChelsea            Courtois/BegovichCrystal Palace    Speroni        Everton            HowardLeicester        SchmeichelLiverpool        MignoletMan City        HartMan United        De GeaNewcastle        Krul/ElliotNorwich            RuddySouthampton        Forster/StekelenbergStoke            Butland Swansea            FabianskiSunderland        PantelimonTottenham        LlorisWatford            GomesWest Brom        Foster/MyhillDo you really think that on current form JR would be picked in preference to any of them (with the possible exception of Elliot at Newcastle)? IMO he wouldn''t even top the list of current Championship keepers. As for hogesar''s question about whether it would be fair to put Rudd in the team, of course it would be "fair". What''s "unfair" about putting any squad member in the team?

[quote user="hogesar"]Don''t think it''d be fair to put Rudd in at this point. You''ve all been harping on about how our defence is terrible - it''s a bit unfair to put a young keeper in the spotlight with no protection.[/quote]

Rudd is 24 now.. hardly a "young" keeper and probably now looking for first team football

Personally would''ve dropped him many seasons back. Always felt we should have gone for for Forster after he was here on loan.

Ruddy''s a really nice guy and i don''t like to slam him, but he''s lacking in so many areas for a keeper. Critically his distribution is poor, and he doesn''t command the box well for a big man - now with those misgivings you would expect him to be a great one-one-one/shot stopper type - but he''s not even that.

He has had a few cracking games this season which i give him credit for, but i fear they were just flashes in the pan. It wouldn''t do him any harm to be out of the team for a bit and re-assess, see how Rudd does - and maybe it will make him come back, given the chance, a much better keeper.

I read on someones post that he''s more of a ''worrier'' type, and i think that is spot on assessment of his general demeanour. People who worry sometimes need something to ''worry'' about to get the best of of them and validate their fight.

There''s no better time to do it than after conceding 6 goals too, not seen Rudd enough to say if he''ll be better, i don''t think he is better than Ruddy - but who knows unless we give him a try?!

On his day Ruddy is a top Premier League keeper, and certainly one of the best English ones.

Yesterday was not a good day for him, but it wasn''t for a lot of the squad. De Gea wouldn''t have saved half of those unfortunately as he was left stranded by a poor defensive display at times. Dropping him isn''t the answer, playing Rudd in cup games is what we''d expect. Let''s not forget how many points Ruddy has won us with world class saves

[quote user="AJ"]On his day Ruddy is a top Premier League keeper, and certainly one of the best English ones.

Yesterday was not a good day for him, but it wasn''t for a lot of the squad. De Gea wouldn''t have saved half of those unfortunately as he was left stranded by a poor defensive display at times. Dropping him isn''t the answer, playing Rudd in cup games is what we''d expect. Let''s not forget how many points Ruddy has won us with world class saves[/quote]"On his day"? What we need to worry about is all the other days, which far outnumber any of "his" days.

I don''t think anyone here is overreacting in questioning Ruddy. Sure there will be knee jerk reactions because we shipped 6 goals, but there has been grumblings about Ruddy''s form for some time now.I couldn''t care less if they drop Ruddy, Martin, Whittaker, or all three of them, as long as it works.

Having just watched the "highlights" I''d be interested to know how many of the 6 you would put down to Ruddy. For all of them he was left totally exposed by the defence and most of them were from virtually point blank range. Unsighted for the 3rd, distracted by a player who attempted to play the ball when clearly in an offside postion for the 5th and a wicked deflection for the 6th when he clearly had it covered.Was Ruddy the difference between losing or getting something from the game?No.

Drop No Rest Yes

Next Wednesday Everton away Rudd chance against Premiership opposition I haven''t seen enough of Rudd to warrant his inclusion at this level.

I would however ask Whittaker to defend assuming he is a defender?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]The goalkeeper is the easiest position to identify in a team and therefore probably the one that comes under closest scrutiny especially after a game like yesterday. No place to hide for a goalkeeper but Ruddy is a good keeper who would get a place in most Premiership sides. However he is not on top of his game at the moment but the question for me is would now be the right time for Rudd to step up if other shortcomings which have been well documented surrounding our leaky defence are left unresolved ?On another note good to see that the Pink Un thread thief has posted an identical thread elsewhere. [:(][/quote]TIL, here''s a list of the first choice PL keepers (and their deputies where the first choice is a long term injury):Arsenal            CechAston Villa        GuzanBournemouth        BorucChelsea            Courtois/BegovichCrystal Palace    Speroni        Everton            HowardLeicester        SchmeichelLiverpool        MignoletMan City        HartMan United        De GeaNewcastle        Krul/ElliotNorwich            RuddySouthampton        Forster/StekelenbergStoke            Butland Swansea            FabianskiSunderland        PantelimonTottenham        LlorisWatford            GomesWest Brom        Foster/MyhillDo you really think that on current form JR would be picked in preference to any of them (with the possible exception of Elliot at Newcastle)? IMO he wouldn''t even top the list of current Championship keepers. As for hogesar''s question about whether it would be fair to put Rudd in the team, of course it would be "fair". What''s "unfair" about putting any squad member in the team? [/quote]Well my opinion is he would be in goal for Bournemouth, Swansea,Sunderland,Watford,West Ham,Liverpool,Spurs and Palace.

Lol you''re honestly telling us you think Ruddy is better than Lloris? Get over yourself mate!

Only keeper on that list that is curently worse than Ruddy is Gomes, and possibly Guzan.

It''s a maybe for me, Rudd could well step up and be great.
One thing I would do for sure, is drop that bloody day-glo strip, it''s too easy for the striker to know where the GK is, most traditional strips tend to blend a little with the background making the striker just a little bit unsure.

That''s laughable that you think Ruddy is better than Lloris, Fabianski & Adrian. The only sides who have a worse keeper than us is Bournemouth, Watford and Villa.

Now we''re scraping the barrel.. haha!

Personally I blame the massive yellow box for making our defence look like wallys.

Actually Daz Sparks you have it entirely wrong.

Scientific research has shown that keepers should wear very bright strips. This catches the strikers eye and human nature is then for them to hit the ball where they are looking i.e. At the keeper.

Sadly, Ruddy''s inability to get down quickly or command his area are far more to blame than any kit he wears

and Alex Neils shiny head for distrupting our midfields passing play! Needs to wear a cap.

No. Nothing against Rudd, but not sure if he would have done much better for any of the goals. I would be asking whether we should have let the Newcastle attack go from one end of the pitch to the other unopposed. Possibly thought we wre good enogh to push forward all our team too hastily, because of their performances and results up till then, and got caught out. And our defense is just not good enough.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Having just watched the "highlights" I''d be interested to know how many of the 6 you would put down to Ruddy. For all of them he was left totally exposed by the defence and most of them were from virtually point blank range. Unsighted for the 3rd, distracted by a player who attempted to play the ball when clearly in an offside postion for the 5th and a wicked deflection for the 6th when he clearly had it covered.Was Ruddy the difference between losing or getting something from the game?No.[/quote]

Too reasonable a view for on here.  But you''re right.   Ruddy was largely blameless for the goals.  That argument seems to fall on deaf ears though. Six goals scored, must be his fault, is too simplistic.  Twenty goals against in nine games must be his fault - too simplistic.  But people like someone to blame, but the whole team is to blame for our goals conceded - from the manager to whoever is the striker on the pitch.  They  are all culpable.   Baming Ruddy for our woes, which seems to happen a lot - is not the answer.

[quote user="rock bus"]Actually Daz Sparks you have it entirely wrong.

Scientific research has shown that keepers should wear very bright strips. This catches the strikers eye and human nature is then for them to hit the ball where they are looking i.e. At the keeper.

Sadly, Ruddy''s inability to get down quickly or command his area are far more to blame than any kit he wears[/quote]
Wijnaldum, didn''t have problems avoiding it.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"]Having just watched the "highlights" I''d be interested to know how many of the 6 you would put down to Ruddy. For all of them he was left totally exposed by the defence and most of them were from virtually point blank range. Unsighted for the 3rd, distracted by a player who attempted to play the ball when clearly in an offside postion for the 5th and a wicked deflection for the 6th when he clearly had it covered.Was Ruddy the difference between losing or getting something from the game?No.[/quote]

Too reasonable a view for on here.  But you''re right.   Ruddy was largely blameless for the goals.  That argument seems to fall on deaf ears though. Six goals scored, must be his fault, is too simplistic.  Twenty goals against in nine games must be his fault - too simplistic.  But people like someone to blame, but the whole team is to blame for our goals conceded - from the manager to whoever is the striker on the pitch.  They  are all culpable.   Baming Ruddy for our woes, which seems to happen a lot - is not the answer.

[/quote]Just for accuracy, has anyone actually said that all six goals were his fault? Or blamed the whole defeat entirely on John Ruddy?

R LR Player Club POS APP MINS AV.SC HOME H.AV AWAY A.AV INDEX
67 78 Petr Cech ARS Goalkeeper 8 720 13 52 13 53 13

87 85 Tim Howard EVE Goalkeeper 8 720 12 41 10 54 14

94 100 Kasper Schmeichel LEI Goalkeeper 8 720 12 50 13 42 11

105 116 Joe Hart MCI Goalkeeper 7 630 13 46 12 43 14

110 121 Jack Butland STK Goalkeeper 8 720 11 40 10 48 12

120 103 Hugo Lloris TOT Goalkeeper 7 630 12 57 14 27 9

124 145 Lukasz Fabianski SWA Goalkeeper 8 720 10 53 13 29 7

129 124 Heurelho Gomes WAT Goalkeeper 8 720 10 39 10 42 10

140 108 Alex McCarthy CRY Goalkeeper 6 540 13 32 11 45 15

142 138 Boaz Myhill WBA Goalkeeper 8 720 9 23 6 52 13

144 143 Simon Mignolet LIV Goalkeeper 8 720 9 40 10 35 9

148 140 John Ruddy NOR Goalkeeper 8 720 9 31 8 42 10

152 170 Maarten Stekelenburg SOU Goalkeeper 8 720 9 35 9 36 9

175 165 Brad Guzan AVL Goalkeeper 8 720 8 25 6 39 10

186 195 Costel Pantilimon SUN Goalkeeper 8 720 7 33 8 26 6

197 198 Artur Boruc BOU Goalkeeper 8 720 7 32 8 23 6

199 200 Tim Krul NEW Goalkeeper 8 720 7 27 7 28 7

204 192 David de Gea MUN Goalkeeper 4 360 14 31 16 23 11

205 204 Adrián WHU Goalkeeper 5 449 11 12 6 41 14

210 207 Asmir Begovic CHE Goalkeeper 6 486 9 26 9 25 8

Thanks LDC as you are the only one that has responded to my point.  Still waiting for someone to tell me how any of the goals were directly down to him and explain in detail why they were. Thus far, the silence is deafening.But as we all know, it only takes one ill informed fan to express a negative opinion and it soon becomes a totally unjustfied witch hunt.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Thanks LDC as you are the only one that has responded to my point.  Still waiting for someone to tell me how any of the goals were directly down to him and explain in detail why they were. Thus far, the silence is deafening.But as we all know, it only takes one ill informed fan to express a negative opinion and it soon becomes a totally unjustfied witch hunt.

[/quote]If you actually read back on the thread, its hardly a witch hunt.Most people have been fairly reasonably in expressing their views, theres no need to make up any drama here.John Ruddy has not been at his best for some while, that is the more common opinion, very few have knee jerked.

[quote user="morty"]Just for accuracy, has anyone actually said that all six goals were his fault? Or blamed the whole defeat entirely on John Ruddy?[/quote]In a word no. But the inference of the thread is that because we conceded 6 goals then Ruddy should be dropped.

I think you''re missing the point LDC..

Ruddy hasn''t been at his best in a long time.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]Just for accuracy, has anyone actually said that all six goals were his fault? Or blamed the whole defeat entirely on John Ruddy?[/quote]In a word no. But the inference of the thread is that because we conceded 6 goals then Ruddy should be dropped.[/quote]Ah, inference.I see.Despite the fact nobody has actually typed, you think thats what they mean?Right[Y]

Then why did the thread appear 10 minutes before the game yesterday had actually ended. Presumably the OP had seen something in the game that prompted him to start it.