Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Your team for West Brom

I wouldn''t be making wholesale changes based on today but there are a few tweaks I would like to see.                       RuddyMartin    Bennett   Bassong   Brady               Tettey    MulumbuRedmond      Hoolahan          Jarvis                      MbokaniSeven of the starting eleven from today given a chance to redeem themselves. A back six with attack minded full backs who have a bit more to offer in defence than the two that played today. Playing Mulumbu and Tettey means that when one goes the other stays, or if the full backs go, both stay. This will give us at least four players focused on defending at all times, whilst retaining the option for quick breaks down the side. I think we also need to rely less on building from the back through the center backs and focus more on looking to quick distribution to the full backs so they can break forward on the counter. If this option isn''t possible we should then be looking get the ball away from our penalty area quicker on a more regular basis. The odd long ball to Big Dave should be an option rather than always farting about in our own final third, this reduces the opportunity for defensive mistakes. I understand why AN wants to play the way he does, but the fact is that after 9 games it looks like we don''t have the players to perform this tactic effectively at this level at the moment. We need to play with in our capabilities. Whilst I would still like us to continue to play attacking free flowing football, I am keen on us getting the ball clear of our goal more often when we are under pressure. Then when January arrives, we need to sign a couple of defenders that can help us to play in the way the manager wants, without costing so many goals.

No changes.
                        Ruddy

Whittaker   Martin   Bassong   Olsson

Tettey    Howson

Redmond      Dorrans          Brady

Mbokani
Swap Dorrans and Howson.
In reality, Wes will come in to the AM role.
Why anyone would leave out Olsson, who created chances and goals today, in favour of Brady, who looked much better up the pitch, is beyond me.

Flooding the midfield has not really worked.

I''d go back to a diamond with a couple changes.

Ruddy

Wisdom, Bennett, Martin, Brady

Tettey

Redmond, Jarvis

Wes

Jerome, MBokani.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]No changes.
                        Ruddy

Whittaker   Martin   Bassong   Olsson

Tettey    Howson

Redmond      Dorrans          Brady

Mbokani
Swap Dorrans and Howson.
In reality, Wes will come in to the AM role.
Why anyone would leave out Olsson, who created chances and goals today, in favour of Brady, who looked much better up the pitch, is beyond me.
[/quote]Simple, because I want City to start conceding less goals. I think Brady has looked better defensively than Olsson and Jarvis has been a threat in the final third in nearly every game I have seen him play. The combination of Jarvis and Brady has looked better than Olsson and Brady. I hope that''s not beyond your limitations to understand. [;)]

I''d go along with Stan...........drop Ruddy, Whittaker and Howson.

Howson has been taking anonymity to a whole new level.

------------------Ruddy----------------

Martin---Bennet---Bassong---Brady

-------------------Tettey---------------

Redmond-Howson-Hoolahan-Jarvis

------------------Mbokani-------------

It''s most likely that AN has planned and prepared all along with Martin & Bassong as his centre-backs, a holding midfielder, width from the full-backs and Hoolahan as the link man going forward. On paper, midfield is our strongest area and when in possession we commit players forward. It looks like we''ve been sussed out by other coaches. Weak on set-pieces, weak on offside trap, slow with full-backs getting back when possession is conceded, easy to catch out on the break. Full-backs are being targeted and neither Martin nor Bassong are dynamic enough to compensate. Hopefully Mulumbu will help tighten up this aspect of our game and we might see him off the bench against West Brom. Some changes in approach are needed. Teams are going to shackle Wes and pressurise the full-backs. It''s not going to happen but I think Martin should be tried at right-back and give Ryan Bennett a chance. My team for West Brom:

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson

Tettey

Redmond Howson Brady

Hoolahan

Mbokani

Would like to see Vadis given a chance soon, Jarvis from the bench also. I wonder is Redmond more effective off the bench or should he be tried more centrally? Would Dorrans give midfield more solidity against his old club in place of Howson? So many questions after today and Leicester

[quote user="Matt Juler"]I personally feel that Bassong is more of a liability than Martin.[/quote]

You coud fault both players yesterday,  but as in past matches under AN and Adams, it is not always just down to defenders - it is often the cover from midfield that is lacking that causes the defence to get stretched so much.  Until we get players to understand their responsibilities at the back as well as going forwards, we will continue to leak goals.   Taking Tettey off was a contributory factor yesterday - and hopefully the manager has learned from that - but Mulumbu could be a key player in the coming weeks. Team wise I''d prefer just one defensive midfielder, but for solidity, we may need to have both Tettey and Mulumbu in the team.                     Ruddy Whittaker  Martin Bassong  Olsson                 Tettey  Mulumbu          Redmond  Wes  Brady                      Mbokani

Ruddy

Wisdom Martin Bassong Brady

Tettey VOO

Redmond Hoolahan Jarvis

Mbokani

At home vs WBA, width will be an issue, as this team is based on defensive solidity, in the middle.

We need width, and to start with two wingers.

I doubt WBA will be a threat goign forward, but the threat there is will be through Berahino and ofcourse Rondon.

Berahino has got pace, so Whittaker out, in with Wisdom, who should know all about Berahino from his WBA days.

Dorrans was awful vs Newcastle, as was Howson, and both need a rest. VO should start, but I guess the chance is zero, even though he is more energetic than Dorrans and Howson combined.

If VOO is not starting, I can see Dorrans starting with Tettey, and Howson on the bench.

Wes is a certainty against any team at home.

We need to win against WBA, and we need to attack with purpose and a certain balance.

You can argue that the balance is at risk with playing two wingers, and I can agree, but what is the options on the left?

Brady LM or LB is the question.

Olsson is poor at defending, but better at home than away, so there is a case for playing the regular setup withg Olsson at LB and Brady LM, with Jarvis an option off the bench, espescially if both Redmond and Wes are starting.

Mbokani or Jerome is ofcourse a difficult one. I for one would play Mbokani every day ahead of Jerome, and espescially against a physical side like WBA.

Mbokani can cause problems for Olsson and McAuley with his agressive style.

Mbokani has not got the same understanding with Wes as Jerome has, understandably, but it will come the more they play together.

My team for WBA

Tilly

Nutty - Duncan - BBB - Vindo

Morty - Indy - Iwans Big Toe - Lapps

LDC - Im Sparticus

lol lol lol lol

[quote user="cityangel"]My team for WBA

Tilly

LDC - Im Sparticus

lol lol lol lol[/quote]I actually played left midfield, but I''ll do a job for the team on the right[Y]

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bassong Brady

Tettey Howson

Redmond Hoolahan VOO

Jerome

People are giving Howson a lot of flak for his last 2 performances. He made a couple of errors against Leicester but did that trying to attack and make things happen. He''s not Hoolahan but I thought he did ok in the forward role against Newcastle as well. So wouldn''t leave him out. At the start of the game (Newcastle) we had trouble holding onto the ball Tettey did win it but we couldn''t hold on to it, - we missed Jerome & Hoolahan controlling the ball up the pitch. Mbokani has a lot of ability though. Also would give VOO a chance on the right. He''s pretty solid and can support Whittaker.

Martin & Bassong are ball playing centre backs so can play out from the back - no need to waste that extra player (Dorrans) doing that job.

Ruddy

Wisdom Bennett Bassong Brady

Tettey

Redmond Mulumbu Wes Jarvis

Mbokani

---------------Rudd----------

Wisdom Martin Bassong Brady

---------------Tettey------------------

Redmond Hoolahan Howson Jarvis

--------------Mbokani--------------

I''d like to drop Tettey after yesterday but I wouldn''t risk Mulumbu yet, especially as WBA will offer nothing in offence.

I''m a fan of Whittaker but he was beyond abysmal yesterday and just doesn''t work behind Redmond.

I''d also look to introduce Vadis at some stage to see what he can do

Mbokani has earned himself a run in the team now, sorry Jerome, but you have to stop snatching at chances!

Also it''s either Wisdom and Redmond or Whittaker and Howson down the right now. I''m sick of seeing us cut open on that right hand side because of two players that just don''t gel

[quote user="cityangel"]My team for WBA

Tilly

LDC - Im Sparticus

lol lol lol lol[/quote]I''m a keeper. [:)]

RuddMartin          Ryben         Bassong        Brady         Tettey                           Mulumbu                                                   HowsonRedderz                                              Jarvis                              Mbok

Tony Pulis is no mug.  West Brom will target our weaknesses.  We need to try and change things.  It''s not about being scared at home.  We''ve been weak defensively and we''ve just made Newcastle look like Barcleona and Real Madrid combined.  We can''t afford to start slowly and/or only start playing once we go 1 or 2 behind.There''s still more than enough attacking intent with this team and plenty of options if needed. 

If I were in charge:

--------------------Rudd-------------------

Wisdom---Bennett---Bassong---Olsson

---------------Tettey---Vadis-------------

--------Jarvis---Hoolahan---Brady-------

------------------Mbokani-----------------

Subs:

Ruddy, Martin, Whittaker, Howson, Dorrans, Redmond, Lafferty

But perhaps there is a reason why I am not a professional football manager...

Jim''s team looks good to me but I''d swap Vadis for Dorrans and push him up between Hoolahan and Brady.

I wouldn''t have Whittaker on the bench either, would rather have Jerome as Martin can be cover for both RB and CB.

---------------------Ruddy----------------------Martin Wisdom Bassong Olsson----------Mulumbu Dorrans ------------Redmond----Hoolahan-------Brady--------------------Mbokani-------------------Wisdom, Dorrans and Mulumbu all know the opposition well. Dorrans is our best distributor of the ball from deep, and can pick passes into the final third. Mulumbu is also technically better than Tettey, so as long as he''s fit should complement a high-tempo passing game. A risk to play Wisdom as he''s looked poor so far, but he surely can''t do any worse than Martin and Bassong did on Sunday.

--------------------Ruddy-------------------

Wisdom----Bennett---Bassong----Brady

-------------Mulumbu---Howson---------

--Redmond------Hoolahan--------Jarvis--

-------------------Mbokani-----------------

This will not be AN''s team selection. But personally I do not want poor defensive performances rewarded with a place in the team. So Whittaker, Martin, Olsson, Tettey and Dorrans all get dropped.