Sign in to follow this  
Ashwood

January - False hope ?

Is the January window really going to help us sort out the mess we are getting ourselves in ?. If the players we wanted in the summer were not available or not affordable then , are they really going to be so in January ?. Surely January is more Adi Akinbiyi than Dean Ashton ?

Ironic considering Dean Ashton was signed in January.

But if you can''t sign players when you''re riding on the crest of the promotion wave are you any more likely to sign them when you''re definitely in a relegation battle?

Im oh so we''ll aware that we signed Dean Ashton in January, but I recall Adi Akinbiyi was signed by numerous clubs in January GJP , many of them desperate and most of them going on to fail , hence the post , so no irony there !

the bunch of Muppets in charge of the club had the whole summer to sort out the defense and did nothing why does anyone have any confidence that they will achieve anything positive. The board are armatures in the extreme and have been for the best part of 20 years. Every now and again they get lucky with a good manager and eventually they mess that up by not supporting them in the transfer market, heard this story before ?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]the bunch of Muppets in charge of the club had the whole summer to sort out the defense and did nothing why does anyone have any confidence that they will achieve anything positive. The board are armatures in the extreme and have been for the best part of 20 years. Every now and again they get lucky with a good manager and eventually they mess that up by not supporting them in the transfer market, heard this story before ?[/quote]Armatures you say lol? As in the wire wound rotating part of a small electric motor?Jeez, no wonder they know nothing of football.

Do you really trust our scouting department and board to get it right?

Don''t forget we''re playing in the biggest league in the world but no one wants to come here for less than 100k a week.

The problem with Jan is that we need someone to make an instant impact and that is expensive

I just hope we don''t sell say Redmond & invest in kak

We have enough of that at the club - still need to clear out

Voo / Lafferty

Can we do it for £5M not sure

What can

I just hope we can still pick up points before January otherwise we won''t be an attractive move to attract the quality we need !!

Probably have to take risk on 3 un-proven or young defenders hope one of them comes good.

Morty, rather than focusing on the (admittedly funny) typo I think there''s a really serious point in there. When you are promoted to the Premiership, you are looking to attempt to bridge the gap between yourselves and established Premier League clubs.

Whilst I do not advocate spending money for the sake of it, how likely are you to bridge that gap if the overall net transfer spend is only £3 million. You''re really going to struggle to be competitive at this level, in all liklihood.

Ultimately, the blame for this failure to sign players doesn''t rest with the manager. Following our poor transfer window in 2013 under Hughton, we set up a football board who dictated the transfer policy at the club. The idea was to reduce the pressure on the management (allowing them to coach) and ensure those mistakes of that crazy summer were not repeated.

If truth be told that board has largely been an abject failure. Of the signings made last summer in 2014, only Jerome can really be considered an unqualified success. In fact, he was the only summer signing to start at Wembley.

This season, the signings of Brady and Mulumbu look like good pieces of business. However, it was blatantly obvious we were going to struggle if we didn''t upgrade defensively as we didn''t always look convincing in that department even at championship level.

Whilst they look useful additions, you even have to question the rationale of the signings of Jarvis and Mbokani. Both were available and on the radar for some time. If we''d really wanted both then we could have got them in a long time before we did at the beginning of the season.

I firmly believe that we have a fantastic young manager and we''ve failed him by not providing the requisite support he needs recruitment wise. Unfortunately, I''m using the past tense because if we couldn''t recruit in the summer then I don''t see how we''re going to fare any better in January - a notoriously much harder time to buy.

I think it all comes down to our rigid wage structure, and I support this as a means of ensuring the club''s long term survival.

The downside is we will be one of those yo-yo clubs always flirting with relegation from the top league.

I agree to a certain extent Bor. Clearly there are certain players who are going to ask for ridiculous wages and we simply can''t risk screwing the club in the long term to sign them.

However, the worrying thing is that this football transfer board still wasn''t getting it right (transfer wise) in the Championship - where we would have been one of the real big hitters thanks to our parachute payments. So that excuse only gets them so far.

Pretty much Yorkshire''s post. The board have f''d this season up by handicapping Neil with a threadbare championship level defence