Sign in to follow this  
lharman7

Ryan Bennett

Thought he looked fairly commanding and composed today and was probably the only positive thing we can take out of the match. Bassong on the other hand was a liability and needs a massive reality check.

Bennett did his job, and was OK. It is a pity it was Bassong that was left isolated with Rondon for the goal. Got a feeling Bennett would not have lost that challenge.

Decent enough performance from Bennett today. Shame those around him were left floundering again.  Only real blot was that WBA header that bounced over the crossbar and probably should have been a goal.  It looked like the WBA player he was marking who headed it over - but I could be wrong.

Good to hear he did his job. More than any other defender has done all season.

Sounds like it''s the engine room running out of steam now. I wouldn''t mind mulumbu and dorrans next match, Wes, Redmond and Jarvis pushing. Howson has produced nothing of note for too long now.

Agreed. Bennett showed a lot of promise in that display, especially having been out of the first team for so long.

Very encouraging if he can stay fit and we can get someone in in January to provide reinforcements to our paper-thin central defence options.

Also, his distribution and technique from the back are under-rated, so he''s not just the "stopper" people seem to associate with his height... Never mind Bassong thinking he''s the re-incarnation of Bobby Moore / Mattias Sammer (hint: he''s not - reminds me more of Brian McGovern)

Bennett was nothing more than average.

It was always Bassong''s man that was threatening so had very little to do but mop up. The one set piece the ball went his way Dawson beat him comprehensively but bounced a ball over the goal - so he was lucky.

I think Martin''s days as a right back are well behind him so should play in the centre of defence.

Six Pack is right.

For whatever reason Bennett is one of those players who has to do very little to earn a lot of praise from some.

Well, it''s certainly fair enough to count me as "some".

Besides, I wasn''t suggesting he was Man of the Match, but merely that he offered something we had been lacking in other games this season and for that reason I would like to think he will keep his place next week.

"Besides, I wasn''t suggesting he was Man of the Match, but merely that he offered something we had been lacking in other games this season and for that reason I would like to think he will keep his place next week."

Me too. So let''s find the best partner for him as it isn''t necessarily SB at the moment. I would prefer Whittaker at full-back to the Martin we saw on Saturday as well.

RM, it seems, has been too long in his favoured position to be able to fully adjust to the full-back role.

Indeed, it was nice one of our back four looked just average instead of out of their depth which has happened recently. Still positive we''ll stay up though.

Heading the ball under no pressure isn''t difficult.

Nothing wrong with his performance but both Martin and bassong can win headers and pass to the other CB when there''s no opposition player for 20 yards.

I''m afraid we''ve seen that Martin can''t header it. Doesn''t have enough power in his heading (which is often why it goes to the oppositions number 10) and doesn''t have the composure to head it back to the GK (again because he doesn''t have he power and accuracy in his heading).

So heading the ball under no pressure, for Martin, as we''ve seen this season is difficult.

Nope, that''s often when Martin is under pressure.

Martin hasn''t had a game anywhere near as easy as Bennett did, and doubt he will have as no other team''s play identical to West Brom.

Martin also played at the weekend, against the same team and again we saw how he deals with high balls under no pressure at all as well. Still think he seriously needs to work on this part of his game whereas Bennet was composed when he knew he had the time. I don''t know if you were at the game, perhaps you left early? but that last 20-30 minutes were truly awful from Martin.

(though I hope no-one blames this part of his game on being switched to RB and lost his bearings or something)

Martin was worse than Bennett but he at least had a winger putting pressure on him. Yes i was at the game

Not in the times that Martin had time and space on the ball. I agree that Bennett was of course given a much easier game, but when Martin often did have the time to bring it down or header it up the pitch, he fluffed it. This contributed to his poor game.

Bennett was given an easier game but he didn''t bu99er it up when called upon and that was the difference.

A lot of Bennett''s distribution is safe, sideways passes.

Which is the right thing to do if you''re not the kind of player who is really good on the ball - which he isn''t.

[quote user="YorkshirePudding BSc"]Martin''s general distribution under no pressure was shocking on Saturday[/quote]

not sure it was that bad considering he made 89% pass accuracy!

getting the ball and passing to one of your teams mates isn''t the worst plan in the world!