Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Anyone anti Russell Martin isnt a Norwich fan.

Don''t like it? Tough, binner.

No, he''s not the greatest defender we''ve ever had, but nor is he the massive liability people claim he is.

We will concede goals this season. Some will be a mistake from him, some will be a mistake from others. We''ll score goals too. And as already seen, some of them will be from the Norfolk Cafu himself.

What I''m saying is, when RM scores, I see the delight on his face. I see his passion for the club and I hear it in every interview. When we concede or lose who looks gutted? Him. But who''s first to come and applaud our fans? Him.

I like him. I''m happy for him when he scores and plays well because he''s obviously a great bloke. I don''t give a single toss that van dijk might have a better percentage of interceptions. Van dijk could well be...a d*ck.

Football should be something to be enjoyed, to be passionate about. Which is exactly what RM does. Which in turn makes me enjoy watching him play.

Delighted for him today. The background story of his last 24 hours only confirms everything I thought about him before.

Club captain.

Club legend.

[quote user="hogesar"]Don''t like it? Tough, binner.

No, he''s not the greatest defender we''ve ever had, but nor is he the massive liability people claim he is.

We will concede goals this season. Some will be a mistake from him, some will be a mistake from others. We''ll score goals too. And as already seen, some of them will be from the Norfolk Cafu himself.

What I''m saying is, when RM scores, I see the delight on his face. I see his passion for the club and I hear it in every interview. When we concede or lose who looks gutted? Him. But who''s first to come and applaud our fans? Him.

I like him. I''m happy for him when he scores and plays well because he''s obviously a great bloke. I don''t give a single toss that van dijk might have a better percentage of interceptions. Van dijk could well be...a d*ck.

Football should be something to be enjoyed, to be passionate about. Which is exactly what RM does. Which in turn makes me enjoy watching him play.

Delighted for him today. The background story of his last 24 hours only confirms everything I thought about him before.

Club captain.

Club legend.[/quote]

If he scored a goal for every mistake or misplaced pass he makes we would be in the top 4 by now

Great footballer, and great ambassador for the club and the game in general.

Bassong makes at least as many errors, most of which escape punishment in part due to Martin''s excellent reading of the game and positional play. I don''t see people criticising him as often or as heavily.

Even the very best defenders and players make costly errors at time, but the important thing is how we defend and attack as a team, and the results we get. I don''t think we''re doing badly in that regard so far this season.

Just watch the highlights Hog, defensively he was pretty poor, though having heard his ''story'' over the past 24 hours its understandable.I''ll let him off for cheaply giving the ball away again and again. Great goal though.

But Whits was also pretty poor as well, especially with little help from Redmond in that second half. I don''t mean to sound negative but we do need to break that whits/martin partnership up in order to make us a genuinely good mid-table team that we could be with the players and manager we have.

We either put Martin at RB behind Redmond with a quality CB or we get in ball playing CB (like Martin is) but who is also as quick as lighting in order to cover the space whittaker carelessly leaves, atm is isn''t working as well as it could; we''re letting in too many goals. I''d take the first option and put Martin at CB personally.

We''re a good team and we''ve done really well so far this season but there''s room for improvement, and it won''t be that hard to make this improvement.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Just watch the highlights Hog, defensively he was pretty poor, though having heard his ''story'' over the past 24 hours its understandable.I''ll let him off for cheaply giving the ball away again and again. Great goal though.

But Whits was also pretty poor as well, especially with little help from Redmond in that second half. I don''t mean to sound negative but we do need to break that whits/martin partnership up in order to make us a genuinely good mid-table team that we could be with the players and manager we have.

We either put Martin at RB behind Redmond with a quality CB or we get in ball playing CB (like Martin is) but who is also as quick as lighting in order to cover the space whittaker carelessly leaves, atm is isn''t working as well as it could; we''re letting in too many goals. I''d take the first option and put Martin at CB personally.

We''re a good team and we''ve done really well so far this season but there''s room for improvement, and it won''t be that hard to make this improvement.[/quote]

Are you drunk?

Yes I am Webbo but I''m just exercising my earlier thoughts. Below are highlights of the game.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2015/09/20/liverpool-vs-norwich-city-highlights-full-match/

Watch the times at -

3:50

4:44 (Liverpools goal)

8:05 -whitts short pass and Martin doesn''t even make the tackle because he pu$$ied out

9:40 - again isn''t strong enough for me in the tackle

Seemed to make more errors than any other player. We can do better, in terms of a CB. For me he seems the perfect player to play behind Redmond; is smart going forward (unlike Whitts) and is good on the ball.

...his goal is 6:15 btw ;)

While he did make a couple of bad plays, don''t overlook how he covered errors by others by attacking the ball when the "correct" player was out of position, or clearing the ball away from the 18 yard box when those around him seemed lost.

Defenders, even the best of them, rarely go through games error free, that''s the nature of the game.

Neither do strikers, mid-fielders or ''keepers for that matter.

A highly talented and expensive Liverpool team, and apparently their strongest starting eleven yet, put us under the cosh for large parts of that game. Defenders under such pressure will make mistakes.

We rode our luck and at the end of the day deserved our point. To restrict this Liverpool side, not as vulnerable as some were thinking they would be, to just one goal at Anfield added up to a good defensive display all-round, IMO.

Benteke, one of the most dangerous strikers in the league was substituted and, whether for a knock or not, had hitherto been largely restrained.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Yes I am Webbo but I''m just exercising my earlier thoughts. Below are highlights of the game.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2015/09/20/liverpool-vs-norwich-city-highlights-full-match/

Watch the times at -

3:50

4:44 (Liverpools goal)

8:05 -whitts short pass and Martin doesn''t even make the tackle because he pu$$ied out

9:40 - again isn''t strong enough for me in the tackle

Seemed to make more errors than any other player. We can do better, in terms of a CB. For me he seems the perfect player to play behind Redmond; is smart going forward (unlike Whitts) and is good on the ball.

...his goal is 6:15 btw ;)[/quote]
But this is the problem. You''ve specifically gone through the highlights and picked out mistakes from Martin.
I can do the same in most of our games of other players. Even yesterday, Howson gave the ball away needlessly a couple of times.

Can someone go through the highlights and cherry pick the times Liverpool players messed up?

I dont see anyone being anti-russell martin;   top bloke,  committed to the club,  consistent performer,   articulate and clearly destined to be a coach.

What I do see is concern about his ability to defend at prem level without having matchly laspses in concentration or decision making that increase the possibility of conceeding a goal, at what feels like, beyond an acceptable level.  Richie De Laet was jettisoned for fewer mistakes. 

Should he be in the squad,  undoubtedly the club are better for him being here esp with his personal skills but also as good squad cover (as BJ would have provided);  do we need better as a starting choice centre back?   Againt the answer is yes.     But it appears that mean I am no longer a norwich fan.  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I dont see anyone being anti-russell martin;   top bloke,  committed to the club,  consistent performer,   articulate and clearly destined to be a coach.

What I do see is concern about his ability to defend at prem level without having matchly laspses in concentration or decision making that increase the possibility of conceeding a goal, at what feels like, beyond an acceptable level.  Richie De Laet was jettisoned for fewer mistakes. 

Should he be in the squad,  undoubtedly the club are better for him being here esp with his personal skills but also as good squad cover (as BJ would have provided);  do we need better as a starting choice centre back?   Againt the answer is yes.     But it appears that mean I am no longer a norwich fan.  

[/quote]

Fully in agreement Zipper. Great servant, seems a good bloke, happy for him that he scored yesterday, but, like most supporters I speak to, will need replacing sooner rather than later if we have aspirations to say competitive in this league. Granted, he''s not the only one, but his lack of pace and poor distribution will cost more goals than any other defender this season in my opinion.

Maybe move to right back, although I would rather see us bring in 2 players to play on that right side of defence.

Match report Saints v Man U:

"The ball rolls nicely for Anthony Martial, who turns Virgil van Dijk inside out, before calmly finishing."

I''ve decided Van Dijk is the weak link in the "upgraded" Saints defence. I will now review their every game and bore you all stiff with a catalogue of what I interpret as his mistakes.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Just watch the highlights Hog, defensively he was pretty poor, though having heard his ''story'' over the past 24 hours its understandable.I''ll let him off for cheaply giving the ball away again and again. Great goal though.

We''re a good team and we''ve done really well so far this season but there''s room for improvement, and it won''t be that hard to make this improvement.[/quote]

This is correct. As I would have written it myself :)

It is impossible not to like Martin as a person. But it is not a personal thing. It is about Martin being a good enough defender or not.

I dont think he is good enough. He is OK, but nothing more. Better than R.Bennett, yes, but we need an upgrade to establish ourselves as a midtable Premier team for the forseeable future.

As Miggins says, he gave the ball away several times, needlessly. On one occasion, Ruddy saved Martin''s bacon, on the other occasion, he put Dorrans in a difficult position, leading to Dorrans inevitably (albeit he could have done better) losing the ball, and Ings scored on the break.

If our goals against in recent seasons are analysed, I think you will see a lot comes from our own grave mistakes, and quite a few of them is down to defenders dillydallying with the ball, losing it in dangerous areas, playing with too much risk, etc.

Some of the Martin lovers will say he makes up for it by scoring more than expected. Yes, he partly does, but he is brought to this club mainly to defend. His goalscoring exploits is a welcome bonus, but he should be measured on how he performs as a defender.

I am also a believer of breaking up the Martin/Whittaker partnership on the right side of defence. If we had a decent CB, I would move Martin to RB.

Wisdom is not polished enough to play CB, and R.Bennett likely not good enough at this level (although we never see him play, so who knows...).

We are short of options defensively, so effectively Martin is without any real competition for his place.

If we had got one of the CB''s we were chasing this summer, it would have been interesting to see which one of Martin or Bassong that would have been dropped. Pretty sure Martin would have been moved to RB, even though he himself will want to play CB because he does so for Scotland.

AN does not play to such sentiments, however, so if we get someone in at CB in January, I hope Martin will be moved to RB.

Same old arguments keep coming out and it''s getting boring.  Martin is a centre back, well up to the demands of this league.  His occasional mistakes get highlighted - just like Grabban''s misses do - and Jerome''s misses don''t.  They all make mistakes.   It''s not about him being a nice guy, either, it''s about him being a versatile and knowledgable footballer who has adapted to become a good centre back, as proven by experience in the chmpionship and for Scotland and yes, in the premier league too.  I repeat, defenders make mistakes - they all do, so constant knocking of him is just scapegoatism.  

And still people keep on about him going back to right back.............stop living in the past!!

Considering he''d rushed about back to Norfolk for his child''s birth and then straight back to Liverpool I thought he was magnificent yesterday.

Even without his marathon 24 hours over the weekend, Russ Martin was terrific yesterday (as he is more often than not) do not underestimate Liverpool as an attacking force they are dynamic and will dish out some beatings this season.

Yesterday we silenced the famous Anfield Kop, and that was in a huge part down to the example of our captain, he was immense (as were many others) and Ruddy only just pipped him for the MOM award, 1 lapse and we gave away a goal, and again so called supporters are on his back.

We will stay up this season, and my trust is in the manager and the skipper to get it right, which they already do so many more times than they don''t.

Get real or get another club,

For me Russell Martin needs to show more commitment to the cause.

Some basic knowledge of human biology and a quick bit of maths has indicated that new baby was conceived around Christmas time ... right in the middle of the most congested fixture period of the season! (no doubt he was drinking halves of bitter too)

In my opinion Russell Martin should be conserving all of his energy for playing football for NCFC.

[quote user="hogesar"]Don''t like it? Tough, binner.

Club captain.

Club legend.[/quote]Really Hogesar! What a complete moron you really are.........So if I''m getting this right ''Anyone that is anti Russell Martin is not a Norwich fan''.......WRONG!Unfortunately Hogesar its not your decision, you don''t decide who is a Norwich fan and who is not dependent on whether they like your favorite player or not!I can only assume you are a young teenager who takes his football away when somebody doesn''t agree with you or doesn''t let you be captain!  Either that or your mental age is that of a teenager and you are a grown up and a bit, shall we say, ''slow''?Nobody can doubt that RM is committed to the club and is a top all round bloke BUT to be honest I don''t really care about that.  I AM a Norwich fan and I want players that are of sufficient ability to play in the premier league.  I am not going to meet them for a beer or go to their childrens birthday party so i don''t realy give a flying stuff whether they are a ''top bloke'' or not.I want winners who are good enough to play!Credit to RM for his goals this season but his job is a defender and it is something that he has fell woefully short of this season.All players make mistakes but some mistakes are more crucial than others and RM is making those crucial mistakes.  A number of times this season, for Scotland and Norwich RM has been at fault for goals....not once, not twice, but many times.It is obvious to me that RM is not a good enough footballer to play in a Premier League first XI.....That''s my opinion but it doesn''t mean I am not a Norwich fan as you profess to be the case.Its a ridiculous statement now go back to class its time for your ''special class''

So he got driven to Liverpool in a nice big coach, taken home again, became a Dad and then got a flight to Liverpool, at the clubs expense or do you think because he is such a top bloke he coughed up himself? Any idiot can become a Dad it''s not rocket science. He then managed to play a game of football for 90 minutes, wow,must be a machine !

It''s not a tough life being an extremely well paid footballer, so why so much credit ? He loves the club, he claps the fans, what do you expect your captain to do?

Not sure I have heard too many players slagging of their own club.

The issue is he is not good enough at centre back, the fact you started this post shows there is an issue with him.

The odd goal does not mean we can keep allowing below par performances at the back.

No one here hates the bloke they just want a better replacement, and yes there are a number of players who are not really stepping up to the mark, Redmond for one.

Long season ahead but lets keep our fingers crossed that we keep battling away like we did yesterday.

p.s when I saw the title of the post I to thought you must be about 12. Think before you type young man.

[quote user="Pigs in Space"]For me Russell Martin needs to show more commitment to the cause.

Some basic knowledge of human biology and a quick bit of maths has indicated that new baby was conceived around Christmas time ... right in the middle of the most congested fixture period of the season! (no doubt he was drinking halves of bitter too)

In my opinion Russell Martin should be conserving all of his energy for playing football for NCFC.[/quote]

Now this is one hell of a helmet alert!