Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Presume most seen this negative stuff.

Presume most have seen this -lma_chairman_howard_wilkinsonHave to say it - but I know lots disagree - this attitude is one of the reasons why there is so much negativity and fear in the premier league.    People actively going out and saying concentrate and work on winning some games but don''t regard the others as so important.  This is the single most damaging thing for real sport that I can think of.    Relegation mini-leagues, focusing your efforts on some matches and then damage limitation on the rest - it''s all b*ll*x.

Yes, you need to win/take points off  those around you - but picking and choosing who you put up the most positive attack to is plain crazy.  It''s been said by so many people, but every game is a potential three points.  You beat ManUtd or Arsenal - as we have done - it''s three points.

To have an LMA chairman that spouts this kind of negative stuff is the opposite of what he should be doing.   All he needs to do is support the managers, not tell them and clubs how they should be doing things - especially if it is so negative and dour.   This perpetual brainwashed attitude/limited thinking that goes on surrounding the premier league needs to be swept away and get all clubs really going for it - against all opposition.  

I hope AN takes no notice at all of this kind of jaundiced advice.  The last thing we as fans want to see is survival football - because actually, if you play like that, all you are doing is limiting yourselves anyway.  Time people stood up against this kind of negativity in football.  

What an odd presumption.

More than odd is how upset this article has made you when not so long ago, your defense of Chris Houghton seemed basec on this very attitude you now pretend to despise. Or were you pretending then?

[quote user="lake district canary"]I hope AN takes no notice at all of this kind of jaundiced advice.  The last thing we as fans want to see is survival football - because actually, if you play like that, all you are doing is limiting yourselves anyway.  Time people stood up against this kind of negativity in football.[/quote]Superb hypocrisy from the guy who may as well have proposed to Hughton, and was in full support of the defensive, survivalist brand of utter $hit that he was serving us week in and week out.....

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]I hope AN takes no notice at all of this kind of jaundiced advice.  The last thing we as fans want to see is survival football - because actually, if you play like that, all you are doing is limiting yourselves anyway.  Time people stood up against this kind of negativity in football.[/quote]Superb hypocrisy from the guy who may as well have proposed to Hughton, and was in full support of the defensive, survivalist brand of utter $hit that he was serving us week in and week out.....[/quote]
[Y]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Oh dear Lakey you really do set yourself up for it don''t you ? [:|][/quote]I''ve started to come to the conclusion that it''s absolutely deliberate on LDC''s part Til, which is a shame as his earlier posts and threads were generally pretty decent, but in the last year or two it''s become increasingly laughable IMHO.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Oh dear Lakey you really do set yourself up for it don''t you ? [:|][/quote]

Ah, the old Hughton guff.  Well, contrary to what most people say, I did criticise him during his time at Norwich, as well as stand up for him.  The trouble is, I never saw Hughton as aiming to be particularly negative, survivalist or defensive.  The whole premise of his tactics were to work as a team, learn to keep possession and use the ball well.  These are pretty much what most coaches try to do.  I always believed that he  was working towards a system that was geared up to be efficient, technical and effective - in attack as well as defence - but the mix of players never really worked - and he was too weak to alter it.  

Anyhow, the history and unpleasantness of that season has gone into the past - and if anything,  it should serve to remind us as to what we want to see of our team - attacking and adventurous football.  If  Howard Wilkinson had his way we would be facing another season of dire football in an attempt to stay in the division.  He is wrong.

He appears to be speaking to the board moreso. Telling them not to sack Neil if we lose a few in a row when we have a difficult run of games. I certainly wouldn''t plan to get points from the big 6, I''d aim to though.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Oh dear Lakey you really do set yourself up for it don''t you ? [:|][/quote]

Ah, the old Hughton guff.  Well, contrary to what most people say, I did criticise him during his time at Norwich, as well as stand up for him.  The trouble is, I never saw Hughton as aiming to be particularly negative, survivalist or defensive.  The whole premise of his tactics were to work as a team, learn to keep possession and use the ball well.  These are pretty much what most coaches try to do.  I always believed that he  was working towards a system that was geared up to be efficient, technical and effective - in attack as well as defence - but the mix of players never really worked - and he was too weak to alter it.  

[/quote]It''s not guff though is it LDC. It is true that you did criticise CH on rare occasions but it was your almost relentless faith in his methods that stood out. YOU may have believed he was working toward a system that would be effective in attack as well as defence but there was scant evidence of any progress for the rest of us while he was at Carrow Rd. Losing the will to live was watching his tactics. Hughton wasn''t too weak to alter things. He couldn''t because he had no Plan B.This season at Brighton will be a good test for the man. He went there when they were under threat of relegation so he could claim his defensive tactics paid off. From the level playing field all teams enjoy at the start of a season he''s got no excuse this time.

Some fair comment there, smithy, I have never pretended anything else - my view was that he was always going to need three seasons to arrive at some kind of  measurable success/progress and that was I believe the board''s view, which is why they stuck with him so long.  That he failed in season two was not part of the plan. 

However, that aside, no-one has really addressed the thread which was aimed at Howard Wilkinson''s comments about this season.I assume I''m correct that most of us want to see an attack minded team this season - and not a survival at all costs kind of season.......

(Play the post, not the poster.)

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]This season at Brighton will be a good test for the man. He went there when they were under threat of relegation so he could claim his defensive tactics paid off. From the level playing field all teams enjoy at the start of a season he''s got no excuse this time.[/quote]IF he does succeed at Brighton, especially if it''s playing a more offensive and attacking approach than we ever saw here, then it will make his time as our manager rankle even more than it does now, and give me even more reasons to detest the guy as a manager - if not as a person.

Wilkinson`s sides used to play some dire football and his record at Sunderland in the 2002/3 season makes him the worst person to take advice from about managing a side at the bottom on the Prem. (P27 D8 L15)