Sign in to follow this  
Canary Legend

Gary Hooper to Hull

Depending on the price, I''d have no problem with this.Undoubtedly a good striker, but doesn''t fit our style of play and has struggled to maintain any sort of run in the team as well, so probably best for both parties.

Hope this isn''t true. Our best finisher at the club and best striker to partner the other, even though he''s shit at playing the lone role he still managed to be our top scorer last time in the PL, though did sometimes play behind the striker as well.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]Has been ''linked'' to everyone.

Would be crazy for a manager that regularly talks about wanting options to sell this player.[/quote]I seem to recall him being ''linked'' to loads of clubs last window as well. He''s just one of those players. I know he''s one who divides opinion, but I like him a lot. I think our squad is a lot weaker without him.Hopefully just twitter talk...

Rather see RVW go first, even though Hooper is our 3rd striker, Concern is Hull have pulled back on their bid for Gray from Brentford, so may well be going to look at Hoops.

What about Chris Martin? He offers something after being very good for Derby last season.

Would be madness to loan out our most accomplished striker if the objective is to score the odd goal this season. RvW, Lafferty and Grabban, in that order, should be sent away if we wish to reduce further our striking options.

Whilst he may be 3rd or even 4th choice he has the ability to come on and score vital goals and win points it would be madness to sell him. Lafferty and RVW need to be out of the door first if possible

Fingers crossed. Would be one down two to go. New striker in soon

Time to improve what we have and ditch the flatter to deceivers

Best news possible if it comes off. It''s pretty clear that he isn''t the #3, and it''s hilarious people think he is. He''s already show he''s utter garbage at the PL level unless you think 3 goals from play in 32 games and 24 starts is great. He''s also proven the Championship is far far far over his head unless he''s playing teams that would get relegated from League 2.

To "move players on" is not so easy.

The thought that you can lay out your strikers in order from 1-6 and keep 1 and move on 6 is naive, if only it were so easy.

Players have to be wanted, then wanted by clubs that can afford to pay the market price, then be able to afford the wages of the player, who has to want to go and play there.

If all these things are true of Hooper, then Norwich are fortunate to have the option.

Parma

And the inevitable Hooper post by Jamae of course. Scored as many goals last season as Grabban did (who was one of the highest scorers in the league the season before), he only played a few games as well in comparison.

with only 1 of those goals coming from a team above the top 10 and half of them against teams that were relegated. plus 3 penalties. He was pretty awful.

best finisher in the championship. It''s a shame that playing with 2 strikers is not done by more clubs, unfortunately we do need that defensive stability which would mean that a 5 man midfield is the way to go, along with basically every other club.

I''ve often thought Hooper looks like a player from a pub side - however he knows how to put the ball in the net & is brilliant at linking up play. I''d prefer to lose Grabban, Lafferty or RVW ahead of Hooper.

Makes me laugh how so many fans are saying they''d rather sell pretty much everyone bar Jerome instead of Hooper, despite the fact that they all know and agree that he does NOT suit our lone striker formation, that we virtually NEVER play with 2 strikers, and the fact that since coming here he''s NEVER managed to make himself first choice ahead of other options (and that includes RvW during that poor season FFS!!).Good player for the right team and setup, we all know that it''s NOT us, so lets get some money back so we can bring in a player who DOES fit our system and requirements.It''s really not rocket science guys...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Makes me laugh how so many fans are saying they''d rather sell pretty much everyone bar Jerome instead of Hooper, despite the fact that they all know and agree that he does NOT suit our lone striker formation, that we virtually NEVER play with 2 strikers, and the fact that since coming here he''s NEVER managed to make himself first choice ahead of other options (and that includes RvW during that poor season FFS!!).Good player for the right team and setup, we all know that it''s NOT us, so lets get some money back so we can bring in a player who DOES fit our system and requirements.It''s really not rocket science guys...[/quote]

Unfortunately for that point of view, he hit several absolutely vital goals last season, with the minimum of appearances.  That in itself means he is worth keeping as something slightly different to the other strikers and to come off the bench.  Without his quality and vital goals,  we would not have been promoted.  

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Makes me laugh how so many fans are saying they''d rather sell pretty much everyone bar Jerome instead of Hooper, despite the fact that they all know and agree that he does NOT suit our lone striker formation, that we virtually NEVER play with 2 strikers, and the fact that since coming here he''s NEVER managed to make himself first choice ahead of other options (and that includes RvW during that poor season FFS!!).Good player for the right team and setup, we all know that it''s NOT us, so lets get some money back so we can bring in a player who DOES fit our system and requirements.It''s really not rocket science guys...[/quote]Don''t we need a plan B? 12 goals last year would suggest to me that we probably do.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Makes me laugh how so many fans are saying they''d rather sell pretty much everyone bar Jerome instead of Hooper, despite the fact that they all know and agree that he does NOT suit our lone striker formation, that we virtually NEVER play with 2 strikers, and the fact that since coming here he''s NEVER managed to make himself first choice ahead of other options (and that includes RvW during that poor season FFS!!).Good player for the right team and setup, we all know that it''s NOT us, so lets get some money back so we can bring in a player who DOES fit our system and requirements.It''s really not rocket science guys...[/quote]

UHHHHHHH he absolutely WAS FIRST OPTION in the PL season. The idea he wasn''t is beyond stupid. He started 24 games, 9 more than RVW geniuses.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]Makes me laugh how so many fans are saying they''d rather sell pretty much everyone bar Jerome instead of Hooper, despite the fact that they all know and agree that he does NOT suit our lone striker formation, that we virtually NEVER play with 2 strikers, and the fact that since coming here he''s NEVER managed to make himself first choice ahead of other options (and that includes RvW during that poor season FFS!!).Good player for the right team and setup, we all know that it''s NOT us, so lets get some money back so we can bring in a player who DOES fit our system and requirements.It''s really not rocket science guys...[/quote]

Unfortunately for that point of view, he hit several absolutely vital goals last season, with the minimum of appearances.  That in itself means he is worth keeping as something slightly different to the other strikers and to come off the bench.  Without his quality and vital goals,  we would not have been promoted.  

[/quote]

Those "crucial goals" came against teams that were relegated, and we were already leading in games of. Yes, they were very ".crucial". This is hilarious

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]Makes me laugh how so many fans are saying they''d rather sell pretty much everyone bar Jerome instead of Hooper, despite the fact that they all know and agree that he does NOT suit our lone striker formation, that we virtually NEVER play with 2 strikers, and the fact that since coming here he''s NEVER managed to make himself first choice ahead of other options (and that includes RvW during that poor season FFS!!).Good player for the right team and setup, we all know that it''s NOT us, so lets get some money back so we can bring in a player who DOES fit our system and requirements.It''s really not rocket science guys...[/quote]Unfortunately for that point of view, he hit several absolutely vital goals last season, with the minimum of appearances.  That in itself means he is worth keeping as something slightly different to the other strikers and to come off the bench.  Without his quality and vital goals,  we would not have been promoted.   [/quote]

Those "crucial goals" came against teams that were relegated, and we were already leading in games of. Yes, they were very ".crucial". This is hilarious[/quote]

Rubbish. The goals were quality - and we weren''t always winning - Bolton away for instance. Rotherham away for instance........

Also you named the 2 other goals he scored against teams outside the bottom 3 (and they were both bottom 4 at the time), WHICH WERE THE ONLY OTHER GOALS HE SCORED ALL YEAR.

[quote user="jaemae2"]Also you named the 2 other goals he scored against teams outside the bottom 3 (and they were both bottom 4 at the time), WHICH WERE THE ONLY OTHER GOALS HE SCORED ALL YEAR.[/quote]I forgot you are fixated about Hooper.   His finishing ability is not in question and we need more than two strikers - and as an option, he is a handy player to have.  

[quote user="jaemae2"]Bolton and Rotherham were very tough competition last year. It was very impressive...[/quote]That goal against Rotherham was absolutely brilliant. Whether it''s against Barcelona or Barnstaple, it''s still a magnificent goal. I''m not saying he''s a great player, or even that he''s going to feature a large amount this season, but surely even you can see that he''s got a good eye for goal. He gets in good positions and is more clinical in front of goal than anyone else in the squad - nobody would say that Adam Le Fondre was a quality Premier League player, but he still developed a habit of popping up in the right place and snaffling goals. That doesn''t happen by accident or fluke, and I''d only be happy to see him go if we replace him with someone demonstrably more clinical in front of goal. That won''t come cheaply.