Sign in to follow this  
Old Boy

Training... or over-training?

Why have we lost Ashton and Jarrett to hamstring strains so early in pre-season? Could it be that they''re being asked to push too hard too soon? This season we need to improve the coaching, and that''s part of it.

Behave! Its part of sport. Ashton has a slight strain and was rested as a precaution. If the game itself was important he would have played. Is also well known that Ashton suffers with his hamstrings. Jarret was just unlucky. It happens.

Has Old Boy got a point here - Nearly every player that joins us states that training here is harder than virtually anywhere they have been - thats all well and good when the joints are up and running after a few games - but in pre season then maybe there is something to be said for what Old Boy has pointed out

I''ll tell you what the most annoying thing will be though:

The "It''ll just take a few days to get him right" line being peddled for the first six weeks of the season.

Yawn yawn...two games into pre-season and already the moaners are out in force.

At this stage of the season Worthy is quite rightly going to be hyper cautious about playing anyone who has a twinge or a strain. If you remember, in days gone by we had a nasty habit of losing players to extremely serious injuries in pre-season. Anyone remember Craig Bellamy doing his cruciate ligaments against Southend and being ruled out for the nearly the whole of the following season?

And as for the training being too hard. I can just imagine the chorus of criticism there would be from the moaners if every player who moved to Norwich turned round and said the training here was easier than it was at the club he had just come from.

But that''s the wonderful thing about being a message board moaner isn''t it. You never have to make any of the decisions, but you can just come on every so often and damn Worthy if he does or damn him if he doesn''t!

Didn''t this happen to Brennan 2 years ago? And was it the same injury? Injured in the first pre-season friendly i believe and then subsequently did not make an appearance until December.

Ginge - it happens, but it shouldn''t happen in pre-season, when there''s no need to overstretch. Having two key players lose valuable training when we''re trying to restructure the team is a serious matter.

No matter how hard managers push their players in pre-season training, nothing can compare with the old Saunders regime!

I used to hear some horror stories from City scribes on how the old up-and-down the steepest part of Mousehold used to have three-quarters of the squad spewing up!

And I can barely remember a player being injured or missing the start of a season.

Footballers are whimps nowadays in comparison.

With Johnathan Edwards the triple jump gold medalist he only reached the top when he reduced his training schedule. He had been over training and becoming fatigued. He was still good but not a champion.
Everone is different but there is an optimum which you can go beond and then become worse. I hope our sports scientists appreciate this.

[quote]No matter how hard managers push their players in pre-season training, nothing can compare with the old Saunders regime! I used to hear some horror stories from City scribes on how the old up-and-dow...[/quote]

OK Budgie, I remember those days - and I remember spewing up myself on Mousehold after a cross-country run! But I bet Saunders didn''t go straight at it in pre-season. The body needs a bit of a lead-in after it''s had a break.

Mr Roasario - who is moaning - all I can see on here is a post started by Old Boy asking if anybody else feels that our Pre Season training may be a bit hectic until at least the players have warmed up.  Nobody is moaning and slagging anybody off.  It is just one post out of a million and one that appear on here that is creating discussion. 

Chill out - be happy

No, Old Boy, I was assured that the up-and-down-the-hill routine was just the start of pre-season training!

That''s the whole point Nav Man. I AM happy!

I''m happy that we have got a far better squad than we had at the beginning of the season last time we were in this division.

I''m happy that we haven''t had to sell any of our top players this close season unlike Ipswich who have flogged off (or been forced to give away) most of their top players in the last two months.

I''m happy that we''ve got a manager like Nigel Worthington with an excellent back up staff.

I''m happy that we''ve got a prudent and sensible Board who are 100% behind the team.

I''m happy that we''ve got 20,000 season ticket holders and more on the waiting list and that our fans support the team superbly.

The only thing that makes me unhappy is some of the people on this board who are constantly moaning, carping and finding fault with everything and anything to do with our club.

If only THEY would chill out!!!!!!

[quote]That''s the whole point Nav Man. I AM happy! I''m happy that we have got a far better squad than we had at the beginning of the season last time we were in this division. I''m happy that we haven''t had...[/quote]

Don''t worry Mr Rosario - the majority of supporters agree with you.  It''s just that this board attracts a higher than average number of moaners, who I sometimes suspect are just mischief makers and not really supporters. 

come on, do they overtrain?  no way - these boys have to be superfit to last a whole ninety minutes, not only physically, but mentally too - seriously the team are only at colney a couple of hours a day - and most of that is spent on the pool table

the only gripe i would have with worthy is his over reliance on the physical above the technical - i wish with all my heart he would promote dave williams to head coach to see us get to grips with proper passing football, yes, things have improved since worthy took over, but with mr williams in charge i think we would begin to see the midfield areas of the pitch becoming a  little more used

all teams will get pre-season twinges, we managed an almost injury-free season in our promotion year, so let''s hope we can do it again

It must be a little concerning that so many of our players are unable to play in the pre-season games due to thigh strains, calf strains, back aches, groin strains - even if these aren''t serious injuries it does mean they are not getting any match fitness before the season starts. MLS