Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Ricky van Wolfswinkel's exclusion from the squad today

Was anyone else surprised to not see Ricky on the bench today?

It looks like that he still has some work to do until Alex Neil is willing to give him a chance, so I guess we can''t rule out the possibility of him moving on before the transfer window shuts. It will certainly be interesting if we are successful in signing another striker. I know RvW has his critics and many have written him off but it''s hard for him to impress if he can''t even get on the bench, so it''s going to be an interesting few weeks ahead I think.

Here is a piece I did on him a while ago: https://www.the-newshub.com/football/norwich-city-ricky-van-wolfswinkels-inclusion-in-pre-season-tour-shows-he-is-in-alex-neils-plans

Despite AN talking him up during pre-season he''s obviously surplus to requirements as the failed move to Sporting demonstrates. I can''t see him being involved much this season and I''d be surprised if he isn''t on his way sooner rather than later.

I would suggest their was at least 1000 people watching in the stands that could offer as much of the bench as RVW could. He will never play at this standard again

RvW will be in the squad at Sunderland. Hooper and RvW will alternate being third striker. They will fight for sub roles.

Having trouble here getting my head around James, the original poster on this thread.

On one hand, he feels sufficiently informed and knowledgeable to write "pieces" and post them for others to read, also to publish his post-match thoughts. Whilst at the same time, he demonstrates not having the first idea about reality by expressing total surprise at RVW''s omission from the squad today. No Lafferty either, must have picked up niggle.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]Having trouble here getting my head around James, the original poster on this thread.

On one hand, he feels sufficiently informed and knowledgeable to write "pieces" and post them for others to read, also to publish his post-match thoughts. Whilst at the same time, he demonstrates not having the first idea about reality by expressing total surprise at RVW''s omission from the squad today. No Lafferty either, must have picked up niggle.[/quote]
Definitely a theme developing:
"Hi, here is a post about Norwich City player Steven Whitaker, I thought that Whitaker had a good game today. That reminds me, here''s an article I wrote about Whitaker a few years ago, you can read it at http://www.nobodycares.com/yawn"

[quote user="grefstad"]RvW will be in the squad at Sunderland. Hooper and RvW will alternate being third striker. They will fight for sub roles.

[/quote]

I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking.

After watching Grabban miss such easy chance

I''d be surprised if he''s in the squad next week. Might just throw RVW, but then enough of the usual suspects were certain he''d not be here before the season kicked off.......experts. 😀

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]not in the slightest surprised at all......he is one of the worst 5 strikers I''ve seen in a yellow shirt in my 35 years of watching NCFC[/quote]

That''s a daft statement! 35 years eh? I''ve been watching them for 30 and I reckon I could easily name 5-10 worse strikers in terms of actual ability.

You can''t blame the lad for his price. That''s outside of his controll.

Hopefully he won''t get a chance ..... Not because I don''t want him too but because we sign a new striker meaning RVW and another will be surplus. If he sticks around for the season am sure he''ll make appearances

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]not in the slightest surprised at all......he is one of the worst 5 strikers I''ve seen in a yellow shirt in my 35 years of watching NCFC[/quote]

That''s a daft statement! 35 years eh? I''ve been watching them for 30 and I reckon I could easily name 5-10 worse strikers in terms of actual ability.

You can''t blame the lad for his price. That''s outside of his controll.[/quote]

go on then ,I challenge you..

whether you want to put it into the context of what we paid for him, or whether you want to take that element out and judge him solely on ability, I''d like you to name them (and not players who came in for 1 or 2 games) ??

No surprise at all, but not a surprise that neither hooper nor Grabban had an impact either

Let''s let this go.

Quite simply a new guy is coming in, he will compete with jerome for number one spot. Hooper will be plan b and grabban fourth choice.

Ricky is an enigma, I think he will score this season, I think grabban will score less and although he allegedly works hard yesterday proved he is a champ forward.

If an offer came in for grabban I would be tempted.

It is time to leave the Ricky arguement and look at those that are failing in the current set up. Brady is under the light with an over inflated price tag, if he does not light up this season then will we say all british players are a risk as we have with foreign signings.

Ridiculous.

Grabban, Brady, Martin will be under the spotlight... Turner and the two bennetts for their lack of first team football away from carrow road.

Johnson had a season of his life last year can he replicate. These are the players under scrutiny in my eyes, yes all are but these have points to prove.

Martin at cb, we all hope a new cb comes in

Brady with his price tag and if his quality matches it

Grabban to lose the 1 in 5 chances converted monkey off his back

You always look to see players improve, but you always keep an eye on a few

So Ricky has been under the spotlight but he could be a wildcard but there are other area we need to look at and individuals making the team or who need to play to get a contract after this season. Ricky will eventually move on but he has pedigree, Elliott Bennett and Ryan Bennett are going to slip down the leagues rapidly. Turner has had his last big pay cheque with us

Cant argue with much of what you wrote Smooth. If no one else wants Ricky then he''ll be a squad player, simple as. We cannot afford to not play him if he''s on our books, even if its just cameo appearances. Ideal scenario next week , 2 nil up v Sunderland, we win a penno, Ricky off the bench to tuck it away with 15 mins left, Sunderland get one back but as they press to get back in the game Ricky tucks away his second and our fourth to win the game and the last two years never happened. And we move on, onwards and upwards.

Why would he be on the bench. We play one up front, there were two strikers on the bench who were better than him in Jerome and Hooper. Would have been foolish to have someone who is currently 4th choice sat on the bench. Soon to be 5th choice when Lafferty is fit and 6th choice if we sign someone else. Good movement isn''t a reason to give him a game. We need to provide a genuine threat if we are going to stay up. I believe we currently have 4 strikers who can offer more than he can. Unless we get injuries I don''t see how he will even make the bench let alone get a game. Doesn''t look like the Manager does either judging by him being given the no 29 shirt.