Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Negative set up

As much as I am livid about the ref, what were we doing 2-0 down in the first place. It s absolute criminal not staying Redmond as we had nobody to tech their defence for all our intricate passing.

The telling sign was the fact they over hit the cross for the 1st goal but man 2 and 3 they had in the box sorted that out. We only ever had grabban to get on the end of countless deliveries until then.

Redmond and Jerome completely changed the dynamic. While I like howson, dorrans, Wes and johnno, they are passengers much of the time a la James milner and having 4 of them in the line up was too respectful to palace and proved suicidal.

Hopefully AN shows more balls in future home games or we will end up struggling like we did under hughton.

Not too worried though as most of the guys handled themselves well and on most days that game ends up 2-2.

Palace midfield was class today and was the main difference for me.

Thats the negative set up that bossed the majority of the first half is it? Palace were setup to counter threats like Redmond and Pardew said he knew after 5 mins he''d picked the wrong team.

I agree it was a tough call not to start Redmond but there''s nothing to say had he started we still wouldn''t have been 2 down with the same errors occurring.

The fact is we didn''t look out of place against a Pl side and played some lovely stuff in the first half, a lot of which Dorrans. Howson and Hoolahan were instrumental in.

We have a lot of options in midfield and if any had under performed then quite rightly the call for Redmond to start would''ve been more understandable, but I was more than happy with the majority of the first half display and felt the team selected all justified their inclusion.

Not fussed with our tactics, I think this just confirms we are one cb and striker short of a comfortable prem team. Going to be a much easier season with 2 solid signings that can go straight into the first 11

If they are come these solid signings, but more likely it will be Mbokani, with no premiership experience or history, a gamble which fingers crossed will work out, but no mention of a CB!

It wasn''t a negative set up, it was the wrong startin striker and right wing, Whitts pushing up and drifting cost us the game.

In reality this is a side who will finish mid table and they picked us off with the help of the ref. it''s going to be a long season.

It was absolutely the wrong team selection. Grabban struggled in the championship, much like Jackson he needs too many chances to convert. Along with RvW and Lafferty these players should be loaned/sold. Jerome was excellent as ever. Redmond must start every match against the winnable teams. So, the set up was negative - if we don''t target teams like Palace what hope do we have?

It was absolutely the wrong team selection. Grabban struggled in the championship, much like Jackson he needs too many chances to convert. Along with RvW and Lafferty these players should be loaned/sold. Jerome was excellent as ever. Redmond must start every match against the winnable teams. So, the set up was negative - if we don''t target teams like Palace what hope do we have?

I''m sure AN said in the post match that Redmond hadn''t looked as sharp during training this week, possibly related to him coming back later than everyone else, and that''s why he didn''t start him.

Was not negative, poor finishing and poor refereeing cost us (and sloppy defending), Our set up was fine against very potent counter attacking team.

One thing for sure is we know enough about Alex Neil to know he will learn from that, and will work his socks off to "get it right",

Keep believing, OTBC

I can''t for the life of me see how yesterday''s team played negatively. There has been mention that Jerome was not totally fit and AN said himself Redmond didn''t quiet look as sharp as usual in training.

Alex Neil already said in his interview after the game.

Redmond wasn''t ready to start as he came back a lot later than anyone else due to u21s.

Jerome missed a bit of preseason due to an injury so that''s why he didn''t start.

All you have to do is listen after the game and you will hear the managers thoughts.

We Wuz robbed ! should have taken at least a point from that display yesterday, even Shearer/Mills combo on MOTD thought we played well...and they werent being patronising.

Positive points.... we didnt have what most would consider our strongest line up out at KO yet started really well, some of our play was excellent stuff. Take two very poor ref decisions out of that game and we wouldnt have been pressing for an equaliser at the end and got caught for their (flattering) third .

Disappointing result, but decent performance. Cant play Sunderland quick enough.

I did listen to him, was still disappointed that Jerome and Redmond didn''t start. The team played some nice stuff, just seemed there wasn''t enough presence in their box to finish all the crosses we put in.

I post when we win and when we lose. Second half we deserved to make it 2-2 but for that ref but I feel we showed a bit too much respect to palace with our starting selection.