Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Norwich vs Palace - Match Thread

The ref. has been struggling from the outset.

Now he has totally lost it.

Bassong was virtually barged into the stand.

Give him a big fat zero Alex.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The ref. has been struggling from the outset.

Now he has totally lost it.

Bassong was virtually barged into the stand.

Give him a big fat zero Alex.[/quote]Refs first match in the EPL, and we get him.  Cost us the game.  Total inept pillock.  Commentators on the stream I watched, reckoned cast iron penalty for the push on Bassong and the Jerome ''goal'' should never have been disallowed.

Stupid to suggest we lost the game because of the ref, while he''s made some bad decisions you have to accept we were very poor today and deserved nothing from the game.

Going to be a long season indeed.

regarding the Jerome goal, only ONE palace player raised his hand to argue the goal - the rest seemed fine with it which says a lot

[quote user="Ginja"]Stupid to suggest we lost the game because of the ref, while he''s made some bad decisions you have to accept we were very poor today and deserved nothing from the game.

Going to be a long season indeed.[/quote]

Are you on Ganja, Ginja?

We weren''t ''very poor'', we weren''t great but we would have had 2 more goals if it wasn''t for the refs bad decisions. So we definitely deserved something

"Stupid to suggest we lost the game because of the ref, while he''s made some bad decisions you have to accept we were very poor today and deserved nothing from the game.

Going to be a long season indeed."

I couldn''t disagree more.

We played well and two very bad decisions cost us.

We deserved a point at the least.

The referee might have made two bad decisions but he didn''t cause us to concede three goals. We all know the defence is not good enough just a shame that no improvements have been made in this area.

It seems crazy to say it but next Saturday''s game has a six pointer feel to it already!

[quote user="Ginja"]Stupid to suggest we lost the game because of the ref, while he''s made some bad decisions you have to accept we were very poor today and deserved nothing from the game.

Rubbish.
If the goal and penalty had been given and converted and Palace had equalised in the last minute would you really say that we were lucky to get a draw?

Let''s face it, there is obviously some sort of directive given to referees when it comes to awarding penalties to teams like us. No different to the last time we were in this league.

We were a bit unlucky, but we are seriously lacking in the quality needed at this level. A new striker and centre-half would only scratch the surface of what we need to truly compete.

While the ref didn''t cost us the game, inept defending by some of our back line and midfield conceding the first two goals saw to that, his performance didn''t help and it''s unfair smaller Premier League sides have to endure referees making their debut.

As expected all the focus (excuses) on the ref. Why aren''t people willing to accept our defence is a shambles? Maybe it''s because they are the same people who have been telling us all for the last few weeks that they are more than capable at his level? Open your eyes, our defence will be crucified week after week at this level and the ref has absolutely nothing to do with that. Now add to the fact we have nowhere near enough quality at the other end aswell and maybe you''ll start to face up to the fact that without adding quality to those areas before the window shuts we are in for a long humiliating season, regardless of poor referees.

Sorry but that is simply not true - even Pardew has said the same.

I''m gutted about the result, and there was some poor defending - however, we created enough chances to go in at half time one or two goals the better.

Neil has to decide now if Jerome would be better off, I think he is slightly more clinical but will not help so much in the build up. That said with Hoolahan on the pitch playing as well as he did today do you need so much from the lone striker?

3-1 not only flatters them but I suspect most of the palace fans will be wondering how they won so comfortably in a game where they were anything but . . . .

And furthermore, the independent observer Matt Le Tissier, who is not always a friend of our Club has just said, on SS, that Jerome''s goal should have stood and that Bassong WAS fouled.

Alex has followed him and has been more circumspect as I could have been about the bad referee.

Trust our flippin'' luck.

Saha will cause a lot of defenders a lot of problems this season, Don''t be too quick to blame our boys, although we clearly need new blood in the defence.

My opinion,for what it is worth, is that AN has placed over much faith on Lewis Grabban as a lone striker at this level. CJ is streets ahead, IMO, in every department except, perhaps a bit of backtracking. I thought our midfield was our strength so we will need less back tracking strikers and more strikes surely?

Going to be a long season indeed.[/quote]Stupid to suggest we were ''very poor'' today.  Brilliant we were not, neither were we very poor.  1-3 was not a ''fair reflection of the game, but I readily accept that football isn''t fair.  Stupid also to suggest we didn''t deserve anything from the game.  A point would have been ''fair''.  But as I''ve already said, I totally accept that football isn''t fair.  Only one person was ''very poor''  Ginja.............Simon Hooper.

Hi guys Palace fan here in peace Just thought i''d give my honest opinion about the game today from a palace fan''s view.The 3-1 result certainly flattered us, and we were very very lucky to come away with that win.When Norwich made it 2-1 i never felt comfortable we would hold on for the win, practically biting my nails for the whole duration.The way you kept coming at us in your droves had me thinking we are going to blow our lead and maybe screw it up fully, and i think we may have used our get out of jail card on the first game of the season.I know its easy for me to say this, but i genuinley would''nt be too downbeat about the game, two dodgy (or lucky in our case) descisions went against you which would''ve turned the game on its headi think on the evidence of todays game you will be fine staying up this season All the best for the rest of the seasonPaul

[quote user="Russell Martin Peanut Smuggler"][quote user="Ginja"]Stupid to suggest we lost the game because of the ref, while he''s made some bad decisions you have to accept we were very poor today and deserved nothing from the game.

Rubbish.
If the goal and penalty had been given and converted and Palace had equalised in the last minute would you really say that we were lucky to get a draw?
[/quote]

The ref''s decisions still don''t excuse the dreadful defending that helped Palace to a two goal lead. Why isn''t Ryan Bennett playing alongside Bassong? He is better than Martin.

For the last goal Brady didnt step up with the rest of the deffence and played Cabaye on side. Clearly he''s a load of carp and we should get rid ASAP.

Will we get this anti-Russell Martin bandwagon rolling whenever we concede a goal?

As for RVW, Alex Neil said that he would be given a chance to impress. The player had that chance and was decidedly average in what I saw of him pre-season. His training ground performances have likely been better, but insufficient for him to even gain a seat on the bench or to quell talk of a new striker coming in.

By contrast, the strength of our midfield meant that both Andreu and Vladis also failed to make the bench, although both impressed in the friendlies. E. Bennett played well too.

I think we can read more into the omission of both Tricky Ricky and Stonewall Turner though so hopefully both will be out of the Club sooner rather than later in order to free up squad places and reduce the wages outlay.

The same goes for Lafferty, and possibly EB.

Watching MOTD, every defence is dreadful. They all concede goals (or are lucky not to). And all the forwards miss sitters.

And all fans are the same. Very few are capable of standing back & taking some sort of objective view of their team compared to the rest of the league.

I think we''ll be fine. i am certain you will see teams like Watford & Leicester run out of adrenaline before long, others, like Villa, just too disorganised & lacking in character. We have strength, skill, character, organisation & a terrific manager. All these things will tell as the season wears on.

We shall prevail.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Watching MOTD, every defence is dreadful. They all concede goals (or are lucky not to). And all the forwards miss sitters.

And all fans are the same. Very few are capable of standing back & taking some sort of objective view of their team compared to the rest of the league.

I think we''ll be fine. i am certain you will see teams like Watford & Leicester run out of adrenaline before long, others, like Villa, just too disorganised & lacking in character. We have strength, skill, character, organisation & a terrific manager. All these things will tell as the season wears on.

We shall prevail.[/quote]

Agree with every word of that.  The Alex Neil factor is the advantage we have in any situation, because he doesn''t panic, thinks positively and gets the best out of the players - and the players we have are good.   From what I''ve read and seen, it was a good performance, the subs made a difference and with a decent ref we would have won the game.   Everything to play for and every reason to be optimistic.