Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Are City Broke?.

None of this means we are broke! Think of the possible reasons why we haven''t spent money yet;

- Nobody good enough who would command a fee is available at the right price (though we do seem to have picked up 3 good squad players, or possibly a first team star in Jarrett)

- Our ''a'' list target players are waiting to see if they get picked up by a Premiership club

- Target players would rather not move to Norfolk (i.e. they don''t like the countryside, want to stay in London or their home town, don''t want to move their children etc)

- Target players don''t want to come to Norwich City FC

- Negotiations are taking a long time (perhaps sparking the "we are poor" comments in the media)

Whilst its disappointing / worrying progress on the transfer front so far, I just don''t believe our board is mis-managing our finances. And with Worthy''s record of smoke screens in relation to transfers, if you pay any attention to what he says you must be nieve!

Wiz, you''re the most muddled reader I have ever come across.  Where have you ever seen a reply from me about the wealth of NCFC.  You will see from my posts way back, that apart from my declared faith in faith N Worthy and the board who have my support in their ability to deal with matters financial EOS. Although lack of money, has always encouraged me to err on the side of prudence

I have however, often preached about the lack of rescources at the boards and Worthy''s disposal.  I for one, have no fear of saying on these boards that they are very poor when it comes to actual purchasing power, and have been since the Chase era.  It was pointed out that the board had a special long term loan of 14 million to keep them trading for the next few years.  With the level of support and low ground capacity there is not enough cash at the turnstiles to pay the inflated wages of team players. The input from other rescources helps to balance the books without the loan consideration being serviced other thanto pay the interest as agreed by the loanees.  If a business is cash wealthy there is no need to beg borrow steal, or ask for time to pay as our club will often have to do.  What is the agreed level of parachute payment and when will it be available?  I have no idea, but be resassured the board would spend some of it, if it is in their bank.  Their strength lies in the real estate value but I am sure that they have borrowed their maximum against that value, remembering their recent committments in the purchase of our striker.  We need a ground capacity of 40000 and filled to compete as real striking force in the football scene of today. OTBC.

[quote]Now I see from today''s EDP, that WLYP McVeigh, has now been taken off the transfer list, and a disclosure that Worthy only has the Helveg/Jonson capital for new additions. Apart from I bloody told...[/quote]

how sanctimonious can you get, 1st w*****?

OK - can someone explain to me why we only have £1M to spend on players? Granted the c £20M from Sky and the resulting parachute payments will have gone some way towards easing the club''s debt problems, are the board seriously saying that we only have the money from Helveg & Jonson to spend on players?

With even the most average Championship player going for half a mil these days who exactly are we expecting to get in?

Worried? Blinkin'' right I am! Broke - no I don''t think we are but we''re looking again at the short sighted policies that meant we are back in the Championship this season - just think how different things might have been if we''d splashed the cash at the start of last season on Ashton instead of making a panic buy when things were looking bad!?

[quote]how sanctimonious can you get, 1st w*****?[/quote]

As I can tell you''re still in shock about the reality of the situation Fillet, I''ll excuse your little outburst.......this time!.

Sometimes the truth hurts, doesn''t it?. 

We''re not broke.

It would be stupid to reveal our full transfer budget.

It would be unwise to spend our entire budget during pre-season when we have a transfer window to contend with again.

3 players in I''d say within the next two weeks, one of them being a loan.

[quote]We''re not broke. It would be stupid to reveal our full transfer budget. It would be unwise to spend our entire budget during pre-season when we have a transfer window to contend with again. 3 playe...[/quote]

If, as you say Campbell, that 3 (must be quality) players join us in the next two weeks, then I''ll be over the moon.

[quote]If, as you say Campbell, that 3 (must be quality) players join us in the next two weeks, then I''ll be over the moon.[/quote]

Campbell has got it right I feel, so am looking forward to your lunar leap Wiz ! 

[quote]If, as you say Campbell, that 3 (must be quality) players join us in the next two weeks, then I''ll be over the moon.[/quote]

Well priority is the right wing, so if DB comes back on loan, that would fill that position.

The other two positions would likely be versatile cover. Andy Hughes...Jean-Louis Valois?

Our first XI is fairly strong, it''s just squad depth we''re lacking.

Also keep in mind that the window closes on the August 31st, which is quite a way away...so if we can''t find anything for the start of the season, it''s not the end of the world. Players throughout the country are working hard in pre-season, admittedly not up to the levels of NW in most cases(!) but working hard nonetheless.

In addition, NW does have a decent transfer budget (even before the sales) and we''re far from poor...no point spending money now on a Fiat when there could be a Ferrari just around the corner!

Getting sick of this now.  I don''t know whether it''s frustration & boredom of the close season (slow news days, etc) but this thread is going round in circles.  People are sniping at each other and losing sight of some important facts:

1. We will NEVER know the exact amount of money NW has at his disposal.  Why would the club let that information out?

2. Ok, we have sold Helveg, Jonson & Svensson. IMO no great loss, I don''t think any of them relished the Championship. Especially in a World Cup season with squad places up for grabs.

3. We are a bit thin on players I admit, but we have real quality in the squad, how many clubs would like Ashton, Hucks & Leon up front?

4. There are hardly any transfers at the moment, sure a few big name transfers have happened but look at our level, hardly anything.

5. We are all Norwich fans, no matter how much we moan about the (lack of) signings we won''t have a say in the matter so lets all pull together & get behind the team and club.