Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

bradley johnson

was awful today, continued his form from preseason, can''t see him starting many games when olsson is back fit and move Brady to left mid

Agree with the OP, I fear that the step up in levels is not achievable by everyone. Despite the season he had last year when he got POS (inc. my vote), I do recall that I felt he was out of his depth the year before.

His performance today was very reminiscent of one specific game last season when he failed to show up - the second leg of the play-off semi against Hoofball Town.

Saw him today and the pre-season friendly against Brentford. Just did not get involved in either game and looks strangely subdued. Was virtually non-existent today and did not display anything like his normal commitment or energy levels. Needs a quick improvement otherwise he will be dropped. Cannot quite understand why he was not subbed today.

To be fair to the bloke he had an off day that wasn''t the Bradley Johnson from last season. We do need to give him a chance!

There isn''t many left wingers that are as versatile as him, he can move into the middle get up and down fill in at LB and he is good at defending corners and free kicks with his aerial ability. I think we would miss him if he wasn''t in there. We have other players that can create and score.

He had an average game today and only a smart save prevented him getting on the score sheet. Some of the criticism on here is bordering on the ridiculous. Some people just need a scapegoat.

I feel like when Olsson is back that will spell the end of Johnson as a regular first team starter.

It''s unfortunate as he was, at times, heroic for us last season. I just don''t think his first touch and speed of thought are quite up to the standards required. Much like Grabban.

Perhaps it''s jumping to conclusions after just one match but I really can''t see either playing anywhere near as big a part to the cause as last season.

I rate BJ, but in high tempo games, he tends to be more invisible and sees less of the ball. For, not a mainstay in the Prem, as I think he has not got the tempo needed. Still a very useful player, just not in every game..

Johnno wasn''t particularly influential today, but wasn''t as bad as some have said on here, although I have to say he does look heavier than last season, maybe it''s the new kit.

Hard to think of a player who looked less like a Premier League player than him.

I thought his good form started to wear off towards the back end of last season and today he was just not good enough.

Too slow in too many situations but his "battling" image often saves him.

Johnson deserves his chance but does look a few pounds too heavy and off the pace today.

That said we started really well with a real lack of a cutting edge! Grabban is not the answer up top.

But our back line, yep passed the ball well from the back in the first half but the number of times Palace played the ball over the top making Bassong and Martin look like a couple of cart horses, and Whitts going missing for both their first two goals!

We need a decent striker and about 20 million on a new defence!

This wasn''t his best game agreed, but you know we were playing a side today who are miles ahead of anyone we played last season with basically the same squad, it''s going to take a bit of time for the players to adjust.

To be honest I thought the performance overall was pretty good and there was plenty to feel positive about.

We are maybe a couple of players short of being a mid table team.

Palace will do well again this Season.

I think that we need to avoid drawing conclusions on players after one match. Some fans would seem satisfied if they never saw Bradley or Lewis in the starting line up again ... Think about it.

people say this about players needing to lose a few pounds such as Bradley or Hooper but there is the possibility they are ''ripped'', with strong muscles resulting from lots of gym time.

Maybe there is such a thing as too much gym though and too much bulking so maybe some players need to ease off the gym?

Bonafide championship player on today''s evidence. Not enough pace and not enough class on the ball. Hopefully he gets better and isn''t the same bj that left the premiership.

IMO olsson is 1 of our best defenders and number 1 left back. The 7 million we''ve spent on brady is clearly for him to take the top spot as left winger, Can''t help but feel Johnson will find himself down to the bench in a matter of weeks. Had the best year of his career last year but can''t see him getting anywhere near as much space down the left as he did in the championship. Premier league demands quick/direct wide men and that''s something Johnson unfortunately doesn''t offer, Absolutely no doubt he will still have a fairly large part to play this season but in the long term it''s clearly Brady

[quote user="GJP"]

Hard to think of a player who looked less like a Premier League player than him.

I thought his good form started to wear off towards the back end of last season and today he was just not good enough.

Too slow in too many situations but his "battling" image often saves him.[/quote]I would agree that his form seemed to wear off a little at the end of last season, but that should only spur him on, because he was so dominant and so good in front of goal earlier last season, that he just needs to rekindle that spark to get him going again.  It''s down to belief - and regardless that it is the premier league, he has to find that same level of performance again.  He''s more than proved himself, he just needs to get that little bit of inspiration.

''''people say this about players needing to lose a few pounds such as Bradley or Hooper but there is the possibility they are ''ripped'', with strong muscles resulting from lots of gym time.

Maybe there is such a thing as too much gym though and too much bulking so maybe some players need to ease off the gym? ''''.........Koroma

You may have a point Crab man, anyone remember how Alan shearer had to adapt (quite succesfully it turned out) his game when he moved from S''hampton to Blackburn and they wanted him to bulk up. That kind of body management does not suit every player though.

Johnson never really got into the game.  He gets done on pace all the time at this level in wide areas.  Every time he was caught up-field, Brady was left exposed. Resulting in Bassong having to come across to the left and cover. Leaving us a man light in the middle of defence.  Isn''t that what happened for the first goal?In all fairness, he tried in the second half to get involved. Drifting into more central positions and was brave with the header to try and score.  But you don''t get the time and space to drift around like you do in the Championship - except perhaps against very poor Premier League teams (Sunderland?).His future will probably lie as a central midfield option once Brady is pushed into his more natural role on the left flank.  I still think we are light on left-sided players.

i think part of Johnson''s problem was that Olson wasn''t there.

Brady has barely played at left back so I''m sure Johnson half had on his mind what was going on with Brady. Brady wanted to get forward so I''m sure this was a restrictive factor.

Johnson is effective getting into the box, but he needs solid defence behind him either in Olson, or in other holding midfielders.

The Premiership is all about pace. Thats why West Ham got success with their almost previously unknown African players. They got pace.

BJ on the left, with a rather slow body and a rather slow mind, will rarely he a success at this level, perhaps with the exception of games vs Sunderland, Villa, Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford. For all the rest of the games, I''m afraid he is too slow.

In the Championship he was given time to dillydally with the ball out left. Wont happen in the Prem.

He doesn''t have the natural attributes of a winger (pace, good feet, good crossing ability) and this will be exposed more in this league.

LM worked for him last season as he had more opportunities to shoot after coming in of the flank etc.

I agree that he may become a CM option in the near future, but I hope he manages to show us that he can perform in this league in the same manner as he did last season.

Had a feeling this might happen.Johnson is clearly a top top championship player... but just like last time we were in the prem.. he just doesn''t seem to be up to scratch with the pace of this league.Having said that. He did have a very good header saved.. and he did assist Jerome with his overhead kick.Personally think when Olsson is back. Johnson will be dropped for Brady

He will do fine at this level. Good box to box player, great mentality, brave, and boy can he finish.

So far, from what I have seen on this message board, the defeat on Saturday can be blamed on Alex Neil, Ruddy, Whittaker (of course), Martin, Brady, Johnson, and Grabban.

The referee stank, the lads gave 100%, we were unlucky, and all we can do is criticise our own.

We know our players shortcomings, if they didn''t have any they would be at Barcelona. Stop highlighting them, and focus on what they do well. Johnson deserves better than he is getting here.

If a potential signing was fool enough to look on here before signing, I would expect him to bin us off and go and play somewhere with more supportive fans.

Exactly what Graeme Souness said on sky this afternoon when discussing Arsenal defeat, no supporter should be too dispondent about defeat on the first day of the season. It takes some teams/players 6 games to get into the season, however we don''t want to wait too long to get first points

That would be fine if our first seven games weren''t among the easiest, hence the need to pick up points early; I think that''s why people are nervous after yesterday''s result.

Spent too much time on walk about in the middle.....presumably looking for the heroic shot. Hopefully Olsson will be back in the side soon and Brady moved forward. May be in a years time Joshua Murphy will be up for taking Johnson''s position in the squad.

Incredibly brave & powerful player with a powerful shot & header who unfortunately doesn''t really have the necessary skill for this division. There will be times when his character will be needed to bolster the team (& score the odd cracking goal).

But he does need to be on his game, possibly even more than other squad members (who all need to be playing flat out for us to survive) otherwise he can be pretty woeful.