Sign in to follow this  
Kingy_241088

Jordan Rhodes??

With all the rumours and names flying about....thought I''d throw another into the hat......I know he wouldn''t be paticularly cheap and is not proven in the Premier league level but he''s never been given a chance at the highest level. I''m convinced he''s better (less of a risk) than some of the names being mentioned and would score more goals than the strikers we currently have.  Would certainly benefit from decent service from the likes of Redmond, Wes and Brady? Dont think wages would be a major issue either.

I would happily have Rhodes here. To me he’s a similar kind of player to Charlie Austin (obviously without the Premier League goals/experience)

Just think he will be too expensive for us, haven’t Boro had £10 million plus offers for him rejected? I know we should be more than competing financially with Championship clubs but with RVW and even Lafferty still here I can’t see us paying out that much. Would be happy to be proved wrong though!

£12m should be enough to get him, and would expect him to fit our wage structure, so could do worse, who else is out there, (British Based)? ;-

Pappis Cisse, Newcastle

McCormack, Fulham

Borino, Liverpool

Gray, Brentford

Gayle, Palace

To name but a few, truth is all will cost 8-12 million, so Rhodes stacks up, his mate Gestede showed he wasn''t overawed by the step up.

Anyone who thinks City will spend £10 million + on a player are going to be very disappointed. I said at the start of the close season that they won''t spend big this summer and I don''t expect them to prove me wrong!

For that sort of figure you''ve got to go for Austin. All this talk about him going to a ''big'' club yet nobody has been willing to put the money on the table.

Funny that quite a few, myself included are hopeful of mbokani joining up, yet I wonder how many other European clubs have players with a similar record available that we''ve not even heard of?

Brady looks to have a tidy left foot and I''m sure him and Redmond can cause some damage with a big goal scorer leading the line. Gestede looks to be 1 missed with his aerial record, but we all know a forward who scored a blinding header on his debut...

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Anyone who thinks City will spend £10 million + on a player are going to be very disappointed. I said at the start of the close season that they won''t spend big this summer and I don''t expect them to prove me wrong![/quote]If you do not pay the going rate you end up spending £4 or 5million on adding more of what we already have , Championship standard players and nothing improves and you end up back where the miserly approach deserves .

He seems like the same sort of player as hooper. A finisher but not much pace or a target man. I''d rather keep hooper than spend 10 million on a player with same sort of strengths as him

He has to be the same valuation as Gustede so too overpriced for me.

If it''s not Mbokani then Would we look at WBA strikers who will be surplus to requirements ? Ideye Brown or Anichebe? The latter seems to have a few recent injury issues so might not be favourable but is a powerful striker with a point still to prove

I honestly think NCFC still feel they got their fingers burnt with RVW, and are extremely cautious to spend big like that again (you could say what about Brady, but we all know we wanted to pay peanuts for him!)

Trouble is, if you don''t pay the going rate, you don''t add quality, and we don''t get any better than what we''ve got.

We know Jerome will score. We know Hoops is a great finisher and has scored at this level. I think Grabban, RVW & Laff''s leaves us extremely light in the goals department up front. Rhodes to me is like Holt, he''ll score at any level, so worth a punt as part of that£120m goldchest!

Else we''re back in "prudence with ambition" land again!!!

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Anyone who thinks City will spend £10 million + on a player are going to be very disappointed. I said at the start of the close season that they won''t spend big this summer and I don''t expect them to prove me wrong![/quote]I would be interested to know what your definition of "big" was. I said at the start of the summer I expected the club to spend about £20m in transfer fees. The logic being that £20m was roughly what we spent two summers ago on the same turnover for the season of £95m or so.*So far, going on press reports, we have spent £7m on Brady, £3m on Dorrans and apparently £1.5m on the loan deal for Wisdom. If we get in the two extra players Neil has mentioned on more than one occasion, with one of them a striker (and so likely to be a big-ticket item), then we should be close to £20m. Given that we are spending on the same turnover, and given that the £20m of two years ago was a record, I would characterise that as reasonably big spending. But we shall see.*A PS for Samwam27 - there is no £120m goldchest.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Crafty Canary"]Anyone who thinks City will spend £10 million + on a player are going to be very disappointed. I said at the start of the close season that they won''t spend big this summer and I don''t expect them to prove me wrong![/quote]I would be interested to know what your definition of "big" was. I said at the start of the summer I expected the club to spend about £20m in transfer fees. The logic being that £20m was roughly what we spent two summers ago on the same turnover for the season of £95m or so.*So far, going on press reports, we have spent £7m on Brady, £3m on Dorrans and apparently £1.5m on the loan deal for Wisdom. If we get in the two extra players Neil has mentioned on more than one occasion, with one of them a striker (and so likely to be a big-ticket item), then we should be close to £20m. Given that we are spending on the same turnover, and given that the £20m of two years ago was a record, I would characterise that as reasonably big spending. But we shall see.[/quote]Ever so politely bumped for an answer.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Crafty Canary"]Anyone who thinks City will spend £10 million + on a player are going to be very disappointed. I said at the start of the close season that they won''t spend big this summer and I don''t expect them to prove me wrong![/quote]I would be interested to know what your definition of "big" was. I said at the start of the summer I expected the club to spend about £20m in transfer fees. The logic being that £20m was roughly what we spent two summers ago on the same turnover for the season of £95m or so.*So far, going on press reports, we have spent £7m on Brady, £3m on Dorrans and apparently £1.5m on the loan deal for Wisdom. If we get in the two extra players Neil has mentioned on more than one occasion, with one of them a striker (and so likely to be a big-ticket item), then we should be close to £20m. Given that we are spending on the same turnover, and given that the £20m of two years ago was a record, I would characterise that as reasonably big spending. But we shall see.[/quote]Ever so politely bumped for an answer.[/quote]

Given we spent 17 million with about the same back last summer from the sales of Snodder, Fer & Pilks, with 11.5 million on transfers and fees reported so far, we''ve not really needed to push the boat out last season but I would like the club to spend 25 million and hoped they would spend it in key areas which has not happened!

I know the likes of Morty go on about the transfer window still open but the season has started and we go into the next two matches both would have been targeted for points with the same back line bar Brady who is more a winger that we had two years ago! Not good.

By the time we strengthen the back we could be 4 games down with 0 points.

Poor show in my book.

The playing style of Jordan Rhodes is the closest to Grant Holt I''ve seen - my hunch is he needs a fresh challenge to re-invigorate his performances. One of the biggest drivers in that respect will be how he''s reacting to his ex-team mate Gestede''s impact in the Premiership. If we signed Rhodes, he could arrive like a coiled spring, which could be a masterstroke...

Purple, £20 million for four players i.e. transfer fees for Dorrans, Brady + 2 more averages £4 million which is not spending big. £10 million is the type of fee that will bring the quality we need. I''d rather we spent that on a centre back and forward and they be our only purchases than a scatter approach. Mulumbu is a decent signing as a free agent and Kean as a reserve keeper also. Whether brady is worth £7 million we shall see. 

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Purple, £20 million for four players i.e. transfer fees for Dorrans, Brady + 2 more averages £4 million which is not spending big. £10 million is the type of fee that will bring the quality we need. I''d rather we spent that on a centre back and forward and they be our only purchases than a scatter approach. Mulumbu is a decent signing as a free agent and Kean as a reserve keeper also. Whether brady is worth £7 million we shall see. [/quote]My crucial fact-based point, which I notice you haven''t answered, is that £20m is a big sum of money based on our turnover for this season. Are you suggesting we should spend money we do not have?Butt, as much to the point, you then entirely counteract your own argument by advocating spending £10m each on just two players rather than what you very subjectively categorise as a scattergun approach that brings in half a dozen or more.At the risk of stating the obvious £10m on just two players equals £20m, which plainly you regard as big-spending, but  apparently £20m on six or so players is not.And I will not be the only poster to realise that spending the whole £20m on a centre-back and striker would have left us without cover at right-back (Wisdom), a vital early season starter/cover at left-back (Brady), a massive gap on the left-side of midfield (Brady again), and lack of a starter/cover in central midfeild (Dorrans).

Probably about the best we could attract but at £12million hes around £4million overpriced . Just think when he scores though all those Binners watching on tv as the crowd sings He''s one of their own he''s one of their own oh Jordan Rhodes he''s one of their own .