Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Has Jerome left himself open to a charge..?

I know it''s a harmless tweet but will the footballing authorities see it the same way?

Norwich City striker Cameron Jerome has tweeted that referees should be more accountable after his acrobatic volley in the 3-1 home defeat by Crystal Palace was ruled out for a high boot. The 28-year-old wrote: "I still think refs should be able to come out and explain decisions after the game! Take nothing away from #CPFC - great counter-attack team."

Given the restraint in Alex''s after match comments, I think they will prefer to let it go and brush the disgraceful appointment of a sub standard ref under the carpet.

Those comments aren''t criticising the official, just stating an opinion as to referees should face the media. He could also say that he thought the ref had a bad game.

What he can''t do is comment anything that would infer impartiality..."if that was x team it would have been allowed" or " Palace were always going to win with that referee" type of comment would result in a charge.

Highly doubt it. Bit like saying pardew has because he said he would be disappointed if bolasie had done the same and it got disallowed. You must be really bored.

The ex referees have put the boot in over Hooper''s performance more than our own players and manager. I think they will keep very quiet and try to forget this game ever happened.

nothing in that tweet that could get Jerome in trouble.

I agree with him, if a referee can explain why he reached the decision he did then we''d all be happier at the end.

but the FA don''t think their refs make mistakes....

[quote user="dhickl"]What he can''t do is comment anything that would infer impartiality..."if that was x team it would have been allowed" or " Palace were always going to win with that referee" type of comment would result in a charge.[/quote]Exactly this. Implying bias is what gets players and managers into trouble.As for the point itself, I reckon most refs wouldn''t be opposed to this idea. That way, they could have a chance explain their decisions and put forward their viewpoint of why they came to the conclusion that they did, and also come across as a bit more ''human'', as opposed to just being a character who appears every Saturday, refs a game, ruins everyone''s weekend and vanishes.It would also be good if the refs microphones were hooked up to the TV coverage, as they are in rugby. It would be another platform for referees to explain their decisions, and also show the public just how much pressure they are put under from the players. Obviously swearing would have to be banned (and if fines are being given out for it, it would soon stop) and it would also may make players want to behave better if they know that everything they say is broadcast.