Sign in to follow this  
Mooney

£10 million +

The difference between the sides in the premiership and who gets the points is how many 10 million+ pounds players they have, not in how well they play but in how effective they are in getting those points. We saw on Saturday that Crystal Palace won the game not because they were a better side but because they had 3 x 10 million pound players.

We currently only have one player who will probably end the season as that player in Redmond (only touch or real high quality from us on Saturday). In terms of players who could get to that level we possibly one other in Brady if he can play in an attacking position and be supported by Olsson. Bassong could get to that level but needs to prove himself playing next to a proven BC (Not Martin who looks out of his depth). Jerome might prove a few wrong and get to the level by the end of the year but thats unlikely.

Looking at our relegation rivals Sunderland debatably have none, Aston Villa might have one in Gestede, West Brom now have 2 or 3, Leicester possibly have 1 in Vardy, Bournemouth possibly have 1 in max gradel and Watford have none, Swansea have a few and Newcastle now have 2 or 3. Manchester City had 11 x 10 million + players last night vs West Brom and it was hardly even a contest.

Last season QPR emerged to have 1 x 10 million + player and that didnt help them survive. Hull probably had none and Burney debatably didnt have any other as its unlikely Ings will fit the bill at Liverpool.

If Norwich can sign x2 £10 million pound players then they will stay up. Those need to be a CB and a CF. Lets see if the board have understood the premiership traits or if they are happy to have a season of despair.

CF ---> Mattia Destro isn''t quite a £10 million pound player as he is being replaced by one at his current club. Charlie Austin is a 10 million pound player, as are Pedro (Unlikely) and Breel Embolo (Loan), Rondon (already sold), Javier Hernandez and Kevin Augustin (Loan). Bear in mind that Hooper, Grabban and Jerome are probably worth 4/5 million each and the amount of damage they will do.Would Michu be a gamble? He certainly was a 10 million + player 2 seasons ago!!?

CB ---> Virgil van Dijk or Jonny Evans most certainly are 10 million + players and this would show a sign of huge intent.

If we can get these two 10 million + signings then I''d back us to stay up and establish ourselves in the league. Lets see where we are at come September 30th.

I know you think you''re clever OP but you aren''t

And all the people you preach to about football, they all think you''re a kn0b as well mate.

Ciao.

Makes you wonder with that idiotic logic how in our last spell in the Premiership we managed to beat the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City.That surely means they should have beaten us with their teams bursting with £10 million pound players and us with the likes of £400K  Grant Holt and £2 million pound ''sicknote'' Pilkington assisted by £250K Ruddy plus others.

The league is very different to 3 years ago TIL 1010.

If you look at the quality of the other teams around us which stayed up none of those squads would cut it this season - Fulham, Stoke City, Southampton, Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Sunderland 2012/13

I''m certainly not saying we have a poor team. I love our squad and we play some great football, however over a season in the Premiership you have to have 3 players who are going to perform every game and make that difference to get the points to stay up. Currently we don''t have that edge.

1. Norwich can''t afford to buy a player over £10m let alone two! If we could then why on earth wouldn''t we ... We are the poorest side in the league ... We don''t have billionaire owners.

2. Money doesn''t buy you survival ... As we proved ourselves very recently.

[quote user="Mooney"]  over a season in the Premiership you have to have 3 players who are going to perform every game and make that difference to get the points to stay up. Currently we don''t have that edge.[/quote]And you are convinced that those 3 players can only come at a cost of £10 million a piece ?

Am I right in thinking that you see Norwich signing Pedro as only ''unlikely''?!!!! You are crazy man!!!

Van Dijk, Evans and Austin are NEVER going to go to recently promoted teams ... Get real!

Congratulations Mooney. On a message board littered with daft threads, you have achieved the ultimate by creating the daftest opening post in Pinkun history. http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11457188.1349/sticker,375x360.png

Norwich are debt free and have a huge funding from the TV deals.

I love the endeavour of supporters and the club. I also believe we can wow some teams this season. This post is purely down to how I believe we will survive this season. I certainly believe that Alex Neil is a great manager and if anyone can get survival out of this squad it''s him.

I already think we have Redmond and Brady who could be at the level of these players I refer to, however this is unproven and what we need is an exceptionally strong spine to the team.

Personally the signings I would make are; Kevin Augustin (loan), Michu, Jonny Evans or similar stature CB through offering them silly wages. I feel this would give us the edge we need.

Players like Destro, Gayle, Mbokani aren''t worth signing as they don''t have the edge required nor are they significantly better than Jerome, Grabban or Hooper.

I really do sympathise with Alex Neil as these players are certainly very hard to find. I think the fact he hasn''t rushed into transfers and has himself said he is frustrated, shows he knows the score on this issue of the outstanding match changing quality required in squad additions.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Congratulations Mooney. On a message board littered with daft threads, you have achieved the ultimate by creating the daftest opening post in Pinkun history. http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11457188.1349/sticker,375x360.png[/quote]

Lol I think I should probably go and support Ipswich based on some of these reactions.

I do really think we have a great squad but what will be decisive come the end of the season is the exceptional match winning quality each of the teams have in the bottom half. That exceptional match winning quality comes from players who cost 10 million +.... hence why they are valued that highly.

Some strange logic there Mooney. How come we need to sign £10m players? You say that Redmond is the only one we have yet we only paid about £3m for him. You also say Brady can be a £10m player and again we signed him for £6/7m. Why can''t we just keep signing players like we have been? Develop them and improve that way.

Also your logic that Destro is not £10m because he is being replaced by Dzeko I just don''t get. You do realise Dzeko at the price they are paying is a steal? He was £25-30m a couple of seasons ago. Destro I don''t profess to know anything about but for someone his age he has played and scored plenty in Serie A. Played for Italy a few times. Yet somehow Charlie Austin is then that £10m player with just one good season in the premier. You argument is a bit confused to me.

[quote user="Mooney"]Players like Destro, Gayle, Mbokani aren''t worth signing as they don''t have the edge required nor are they significantly better than Jerome, Grabban or Hooper.[/quote]Maybe we should see if Roma will do a swap deal, Grabban for Destro. Seems legit.

My point is not that Roma would take one of those players in their team nor that they are as good, my point is Destro ''isn''t miles'' better than those options we have i.e. would he have the impact AN is clearly searching for . He is the best rumour Ive head this summer though and I''d love to see it happen.

Regarding the post about Redmond and Brady not costing £10 million pounds. Redmond has been with us a few seasons and its taken that time for him to get to this level or possibly push to the next level this season. Brady was 7 million and based on that fee he has potential to be an exceptional player but is unproven. My point is that we have to sign a striker and CB who are proven NOW not in a few season''s time when its too late.

All being well I really do hope we sign Destro, Norwich stay up and we end the season with Redmond, Brady and Destro (or another striker signing) performing as 10 million+ pound players who have that exceptional match winning genius.

[quote user="Mooney"]My point is not that Roma would take one of those players in their team nor that they are as good, my point is Destro ''isn''t miles'' better than those options we have i.e. would he have the impact AN is clearly searching for . He is the best rumour Ive head this summer though and I''d love to see it happen.

Regarding the post about Redmond and Brady not costing £10 million pounds. Redmond has been with us a few seasons and its taken that time for him to get to this level or possibly push to the next level this season. Brady was 7 million and based on that fee he has potential to be an exceptional player but is unproven. My point is that we have to sign a striker and CB who are proven NOW not in a few season''s time when its too late.

All being well I really do hope we sign Destro, Norwich stay up and we end the season with Redmond, Brady and Destro (or another striker signing) performing as 10 million+ pound players who have that exceptional match winning genius.[/quote]Although I concede that if you spend £10m on a player he is more likely to have a significant impact than one who costs considerably less, there are always outliers. If you can find those outliers (your mate Michu, for example, or, dare I say it, Grant Holt for £250k) then that can give you a significant advantage when it comes to building a squad. The trouble is not that we don''t spend big enough, it''s that the players we sign don''t greatly appreciate in value (Redmond being a possible exception). We spunked the best part of £10m on RVW, and look how that turned out. There are so many other factors that determine the success of a club, a squad, a team and an individual - it''s absurdly facile to think that you can pigeonhole the success or otherwise of a football club based on the number of players who are arbitrarily considered to be worth £10m.