Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Worthy on Deano Part 2

Sorry about the new thread just some very large posts on the last  - some were good but went off topic. I don''t share people optimism with Worthy comments indeed I find them a little odd and I quote:

Worthington responded: "There is no way in the world that West Ham could afford Dean Ashton so you can knock that one on the head straight away."

You what? So what if they Could? It may be an off hand remark but surely he should have said he''s not for Sale full stop, end of.......

West Ham can''t afford him but i''m sure Spurs, Newcastle or Man City could

I still a bit concerned that we may not have all our best players when this season roll on the transfer deadline!!

I think that at the end of the day everyone has a price. If Chelsea offer 12 million can you honestly see the board saying no?

[quote]Sorry about the new thread just some very large posts on the last - some were good but went off topic. I don''t share people optimism with Worthy comments indeed I find them a little odd and I quote: ...[/quote]

But in reality every city player does have a price - we are not a club that can turn down say a £10m bid (a bit fanciful but Crouch is a more limited player and younger than Deano and he went for £7m so it is possible) - that would simp,ly be foolhardy.  As such Worthy is not going to come out and say he cant be bought.

Now WLY is off the transfer list NONE of our players are actually ''for sale'' but that will not stop interested parties bidding for our best players - the very same ones we fans are desperate to keep.  

Another way of looking at a £10m fee would be we get £10m now instead of a possible £20m in a years time - thats an evens bet on us getting promoted this summer - I wouldnt fancy that even with Deano in the squad.

The risk has to be significant that he will go but we can only pray he does not - role on 31/8!

keep calm - players are now arriving with Hughes and possibly Marney - so things will start to look better. 

OTBC  

[quote]But in reality every city player does have a price - we are not a club that can turn down say a £10m bid (a bit fanciful but Crouch is a more limited player and younger than Deano and he went for £7m ...[/quote]

Agree with what you are saying here, Zipper, but just a couple of corrections:

1- Peter Crouch is not younger than Ashton. Peter Crouch is 23 or 24 whereas Deano is still 21. His Birthday is November 24th. . . i should know, i''m his number 1 fan!!!!

2- There IS 1 player on the transfer list. Paul Gallacher has recently been put on the transfer list and its looking like he may make a return to Scotland after not playing a single first team game since he signed for the Canaries. IMO i would be happy to see him sold as it would generate extra money which can be spent on signing an outfield player, and also he is surplus to requirements as we already have 3 more than capable keepers in our squad.

he doesnt want to go, we dont have to sell him. If he goes it will probably be 8 mil plus then. and even if its too late to spend it, we can do it next summer

[quote]Agree with what you are saying here, Zipper, but just a couple of corrections: 1- Peter Crouch is not younger than Ashton. Peter Crouch is 23 or 24 whereas Deano is still 21. His Birthday is November...[/quote]

Doh! - I did know Ashton was younger but clearly have left a couple of words out of my sentence again (seems to becoming an increasing habit; senilty setting in early methinks)

And Pallacher was a clear over sight - many apologies to all

OTBC

Let''s put all this speculation to bed once and for all.

Deano is not going anywhere.

After talking to Neil Doncaster on this subject Monday night he put my mind completely at rest.

Deano loves it here and doesn''t want to leave.

No club will be willing to pay a huge sum for a youngster who is relatively untried in the premiership. Neil said that Ashton is worth a lot more to us than a transfer fee and they are looking at the bigger picture.

He asked the people present how much would they sell him for, and answers ranged from 4.5mil to my 15mil. He said that there is no way that the club would let him go for any of those figures and as I said above no one will offer 15mil for him.