Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Huges to sign

OK all you moaners and doubters - Worthy has managed to prise a key player from one of our promotion rivals.  The master plan is coming together.

I expect a lot of humble pie to be eaten by the likes of 1st Wizard etc

[quote]OK all you moaners and doubters - Worthy has managed to prise a key player from one of our promotion rivals. The master plan is coming together. I expect a lot of humble pie to be eaten by the likes...[/quote]

As I''ve already commented Dicky, you can dream on. Humble pie is not in a wizards diet!.

And by the way, the deal ain''t done yet!.

[quote]OK all you moaners and doubters - Worthy has managed to prise a key player from one of our promotion rivals. The master plan is coming together. I expect a lot of humble pie to be eaten by the likes...[/quote]

It is good to see the weakest area of the squad depth wise being reinforced with a capable championship standard player.  He was indeed one of the mainstays of Readings season starting 45 times. 

He fits worthys model perfectly; very fit, works hard and plays in several positions - seems like a perfect squad player.

My concern is the comment that he couldnt trap a sand bag and those more eloquently put across by gazzathegreat,  about the coaching ability to make footballers out of long distance runners.. 

Overall though whether he is a ''good'' buy will depend entirely on the transfer fee.  Much over 400k will be too much IMO.

However I know we do need this sort of player in the squad (just look at the impact Holty had in this league when at his best) and welcome the signing - assuming terms can be agreed.

OTBC 

[quote]I presume the ''master plan'' will also include playing the hapless, lapse-prone Fleming as first choice centre half?[/quote]

Yeah, nice positive post!  Well done.  Relevance, nil.

What more can we expect...we aren''t in the prem..we haven''t got money to chuck around.. Although I am not that excited by Hughes.. he is what I would expect ..a work horse and a player with experience of this league.. and versatile.. covering other positions..good Fizzy league player.. he must have something as Coppell wanted to keep him...  Just what we need if we are to get out of this at the first go..

Marney now that is a different kettle of fish... he is exciting can run at people and can cross.. from what I gather from mates (spurs supporters) and a couple of webmasters I am in contact with, he is better than Bentley... 

This one excites me....I really hope we get this guy......

Humble Pie from 1st Wizard??????

If we had signed Patrick Viera he would claim lack of ambition because we had not also signed John Terry, Frank Lampard, and Raul!!!!

[quote]Humble Pie from 1st Wizard?????? If we had signed Patrick Viera he would claim lack of ambition because we had not also signed John Terry, Frank Lampard, and Raul!!!![/quote]

And as usual Iwan, I''d be right!.

Well this signing boosts the squad numbers but does it improve the quality of the team ? got to be a no . We have to many good worker types what we are missing in midfield is somebody with a bit of skill who can open up defences.With the squad numbers so low any signing is welcome Andy Hughes though is nothing to get excited over...Gary Holt mark 2 .

[quote]What more can we expect...we aren''t in the prem..we haven''t got money to chuck around.. Although I am not that excited by Hughes.. he is what I would expect ..a work horse and a player with experience...[/quote]

Half a mil seems a bit too much to me but I said the same about Safri (I supposehe was at least an international)

While I too have my reservations about him we must remember that he sounds VERY similar to Gary Holt who, for a couple of seasons incl our championship year, was an excellent FIRST CHOICE central midfield player at this level; looking at the midfielders now he is 4th choice and must show how much progress we have made with the squad even this summer - no longer will we have to hope that Mullers has a good day.

However we still ned further cover in midfield and as another poster mentioned we do require a player who will break down the teams who come to defend deep for 90 mins.  We have Hux but another option, being a genuine talented creative midfielder rather than a grafter is needed; that might be Marney or even Bents again.

Now can we get sodje as a covering right back? 

OTBC

[quote]What a laff Hughes is an average player. Wizz I agree humble pie is not on the menu by any means! He may have played 45 games for Reading but who else did they have to play in that position? This i...[/quote]

Would you have said the same when we signed Francis from Wimbledon or Safri from Coventry. To be honest I doubt you know much about him other than what you have read of the Reading FC statistics. Keep an open mind and don''t be too quick to snipe, or you''ll end up making Wiz redundant!!!