Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

Transfers: the stupidity of waiting until closing time.....

Tottenham do it every year. Save themselves around £4m by holding out and not signing players until late into the evening of August 31st. Daniel Levy takes the plaudits, without seeming to acknowledge that by saving £4m, his team have played over 10% of the season with a weaker team than is necessary. Tottenham usually miss out on the champions league by a few points.

This year we seem to be doing it too. There are 5 games in August. That is 13% of the season. Not only that, all five of these games are winnable (Soton away is a stretch but does follow European action for them). I''d say this represents around 20% of our likely points acquisitions. To save, for us, about £2m. How much would we get for staying up this year? Not only that, as all managers state how important formations, integration and pre-season is, which makes it more foolish.

Crystal Palace were there for the taking. Sunderland are too. Okay, so what can you do when the referee isn''t brave enough to allow a certain goal or award a definite last minute penalty for ''little Norwich'' at home to ''big'' Premier League regulars Crystal Palace (ffs). Not a great deal, but not being 2-0 down at some stage because your striker isn''t deadly enough from 5 yards may help. 13% of the season....to save £2m....

Some nice stats, you''ve obviously put the work in but so far we''ve only played 5.26% of the season.

An excellent point, Jezzard. You are right. Sadly, you can expect to be called ''binner'' by the little twerps who patrol this site ready to shoot down anyone who posts a comment which is not on their happy clappy agenda

[quote user="Ginja"]Erm TC, I think we have only played 2.63% of the season...?[/quote]

Just goes to show that you can''t trust statistics because 92.7% of them are made up. [:)]

The stupidity of making statements when you don''t really know what is going on behind the scenes. We are trying to get players, but lots of deals rely on other deals and let''s face it, Norfolk and Norwich are not the most attractive options for footballers who don''t know the area, especially foreign players who don''t even know where Norwich is.

Of course another consequence of our tardiness in the transfer market is that a defeat on Saturday will leave us at the bottom of the table and the fact that we are facing of struggle and misery will be all too obvious - making it even harder to convince any half decent new players to join

I don''t think we are waiting for the deadline at all - it is not far off 3 weeks away, we are being linked with players now. But that is not to say we won''t do something late, as many teams do.

I think there''s just a lot more to it than we appreciate - agreeing a fee with the club is only part of it, players may also need to be schmoozed (despite us quite rightly thinking/knowing that Norwich is the centre of everything, not everyone appreciates it!), or a player may be moving in to free up the move (eg Dzeko at Roma), and there''s us needing to get players out - we will also have the issue of the squad of 25 to contend with at the end of the month.

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Of course another consequence of our tardiness in the transfer market is that a defeat on Saturday will leave us at the bottom of the table and the fact that we are facing of struggle and misery will be all too obvious - making it even harder to convince any half decent new players to join[/quote]

I think it''s only fair to inform you that you are a binner and your views do not conform to my happy clappy agenda. [:)]

My main concern with the OP''s theory is if we wait until closing time....the window will be closed.

Thetford-the pant wetters are flooding this message board with numerous threads about doom and gloom for the season-the happy clappers are only responding to those threads. If it was the happy clappers starting most of the threads I''m sure you would be shooting them down.

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Of course another consequence of our tardiness in the transfer market is that a defeat on Saturday will leave us at the bottom of the table and the fact that we are facing of struggle and misery will be all too obvious - making it even harder to convince any half decent new players to join[/quote]Right....... I''m sure no one wants to join Arsenal right now given their position in the table.[*-)]

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Of course another consequence of our tardiness in the transfer market is that a defeat on Saturday will leave us at the bottom of the table and the fact that we are facing of struggle and misery will be all too obvious - making it even harder to convince any half decent new players to join[/quote]

I think it''s only fair to inform you that you are a binner and your views do not conform to my happy clappy agenda. [:)]

[/quote]

Good one

im not defending it because i think this transfer window has been an absolute farce so far, and if it is the fault of  the guy who came in from burnley then he needs sacking asaphowever its pretty common that teams who go up via the play offs wind up being a couple of weeks behind other people in their preparation for the new season

iron_stan wrote the following post at 13/08/2015 5:27 PM:

im not defending it because i think this transfer window has been an absolute farce so far, and if it is the fault of the guy who came in from burnley then he needs sacking asap

however its pretty common that teams who go up via the play offs wind up being a couple of weeks behind other people in their preparation for the new season

Very disappointing so far Stan.

So you pay a premium to get a stronger team out for a significant part of the season when there are winnable games. Bet it didn''t cross the analysts'' mind that there are 5 matches this August compared to I think 3 in 2013/14

This is a valid thread by the OP.

Whilst there are no guarantees in football, 6 points from the first two games would have been rather sweet.

The longer we remain in the bottom 3, the harder it becomes to sign desirable players as the law of attraction kicks in...