Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Anyone explain to me why Joe Garner is not mentioned when it comes to signings?

For me he''s a great prospect and can finish really well, he''ll hit a load in the championship and his premium will be sky high come end of season.

Is it because we''re looking for someone bigger? Or we being snobs as he was L1? (Grabban?!)

Is it cause he hasn''t got an attractive ''emperors new clothes'' foreign name?

Or is it because PNE are on the way up and so price will be high?

Ashton came from a similar position and was doing the business, there''s no reason why a guy who can score for fun can''t do the same.

Surely his wage demands would be minimal, it just seems such a common sense player to bring in. In my opinion, We need to be harvesting these talents, not throwing our net abroad and hedging all our money on mystery players who''ve never touched the ball in the english game.

Really would appreciate people''s thoughts on this.

Truth is we will never know, the way NCFC go about their business is correct, we only get to hear about it normally when the "other side" let it slip or a deal is done. I''m pretty certain that we will be well versed on home based talents, so case of watch this space I''m afraid.

But agree he is a prospect.

GB Do not know much about him, but given the fact that our tenure in the Prem may only be 1 season we have to sign players who are starters and not one for the future

If we signed him would he be a starter ?

Well, as i see it, we currently have:-

Lafferty - A player who thinks the cards ref''s give out are for trading, big physical presence, likes to get out wide.. In fact likes to be ''everywhere''.

Hooper - Wants to be out of here as soon as possible judging by his body language.

Ricky - Well, who knows what he''s got to offer - but could he even score as many in League 1?

Grabban - For me, a wide player, not a clinical finisher that Garner is.

Jerome - Different type of player, and prone to fitness issues. Garner would at least be on a par in terms of strike rate.

For me, he''s much more in the Hooper mould, but has more to his game. If you think Hooper is better then fair enough, but the rest, i don''t think you can compare.

If anyone''s never seen him play, here''s some highlights before you dismiss him:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RftArpY4Iag

Google I like your assesment of our strike force not far off mine hate to think what you feel about Voo

Getting back to garner - how much

The problem as well is someone would have to go

Mate, Ricky was broken by Hughton, mis-played and totally demoralised over the course of a season. He''s never played in any of the english leagues either. I just don''t think you can take those huge variables away when comparing him to his ''old'' self.

Garner is 100% homegrown, he''s in form, and is the sort of up and coming player we need to be investing in.

He''s a fox in the box, he''s strong on his head, he can self provide, and he can hit the ball hard first time of asking, and most importantly he enjoys outwitting the keeper, you can see he enjoys it - all great attributes to have.

I''m a huge fan of Hooper, but i just can''t see him doing it for us i''m afraid, and we need to be making these investments while we have the money for a few gambles like this. That''s my opinion.

If we''re not an attractive proposition for the bigger/established names as AN has suggested today then we need to be forward thinking and capture talent like this.

Regarding Hooper: I''ve always thought his body language says ''I don''t really want to be here'' - even when he first arrived.

Yes, he scores and smiles, but how much better could he be if he knew he was wanted as a starter in the team?

I like Joe Garner at a Championship/L1 level, good player at that level and in my last years Fantasy Football team.He is however now 27 and has not shown enough to make me think he could step up.