Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

So much for that then

No striker in , before the Sunderland game... This post wasn''t placed to start whingeing about this. Who of you think we just ought to put the possible transfers out of our minds and presume we sill go with what we''ve got?

I have been telling myself the last few days to do this. I was getting fed up with the tension regarding a possible signing. I think we''ll be in a struggle this season, but that was to be expected. I do think though , that we will stay in the division, signings or not.

I think the constant expectations of getting new players in is damaging. We need to strengthen, but ultimately we have to go with what we have at the time and be happy with it. Even if you strengthen, the players can get injured like Mulumbu has.

We simply have to recognise that it''s always going to be tough and just get on with it. Mithering after what you haven''t got is pointless. So yes, I agree with the op. We just have to get on the roller coaster and enjoy the experience.

I think that we would be in the lottery of, say, the bottom five or six, if we sign no player to cover some of our weaknesses - striker, RB and CB.

If finances do not permit very good players coming, or if our reputation makes them decline, then we may have little option, and the future becomes uncertain.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]No striker in , before the Sunderland game... This post wasn''t placed to start whingeing about this. Who of you think we just ought to put the possible transfers out of our minds and presume we sill go with what we''ve got?

I have been telling myself the last few days to do this. I was getting fed up with the tension regarding a possible signing. I think we''ll be in a struggle this season, but that was to be expected. I do think though , that we will stay in the division, signings or not.[/quote]

Alex Neil has said time and time again that we are still trying to bring players in. But it''s going to quality over quantity. It takes time to buy good players I guess.

It''s a shame we couldn''t get our business concluded early. But if players aren''t available at that time, what can you do? I think we''ll all just be glad when the transfer window shuts and we can actually get on with the football.

Watching games thinking this goal would have been prevented had we purchased this defender, or that goal would have been scored if we bought that striker does undermine confidence in the existing team.

Regardless of personnel, Alex Neil will need time to learn how to manage at this level. However, it is frustrating for fans watching familiar failings of certain players at this level. Is it asking too much of Alex Neil to go with what we''ve got? Time will tell.

In one respect I''m very happy with Alex Neil saying he''s not going to buy players who don''t IMPROVE the squad. So if our primary targets don''t find our club attractive for the time being, let''s go with the players who want to be here.

Not going to waste money on average player no better that our current squad which is what we have all been saying on here.

So respect to AN.

[quote user="Indy"]In one respect I''m very happy with Alex Neil saying he''s not going to buy players who don''t IMPROVE the squad. So if our primary targets don''t find our club attractive for the time being, let''s go with the players who want to be here.

Not going to waste money on average player no better that our current squad which is what we have all been saying on here.

So respect to AN.[/quote]

Damn right. He impresses me more and more and obviously isn''t going to spit his dummy out if we can''t attract the kind of players he would ideally like. Also shows some faith in the team he already has by not signing a ton of randomers

Don''t panic, Lafferty is almost back in training!

With our easy run of winnable matches towards the start of the season, it was imperative that we addressed the obvious weaknesses in the team, notably RB, RCB and striker, before the season started. We needed to avoid the fiasco of our relegation season having to win matches against the top teams at the end of the season which was never going to happen. Too late now unfortunately.

[quote user="Canary Legend"]You just knew this would be the case.

How much longer must we suffer this shambles of a transfer window.[/quote]

17 days Waveney

The problem from the start has been a lot of fans misinterpreting club statements as echoing their own wishful thinking. We were told that the club expected to strengthen the squad, bringing in up to six new players. So far we have signed four, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Brady and Kean, plus Wisdom on loan. All five acquisitions serve to strengthen the squad as promised. True, they haven''t strengthened the squad in the sense of upgrading half the first team to the level of a secure mid-to-top-half-of-the-table side. But the club never said they would. If you expected much more than what we''ve got, you need to get real.

The consensus among fans is that we were relegated two years ago because CH was our manager. By implication the squad were good enough then to stay up if properly managed. Most fans agree that we are stronger now despite losing Snodgrass and Fer. So, properly managed, there is no reason why we should not survive, and maybe even survive with a degree of comfort. That seems to be how the club see it too. Makes perfect sense to me, as does the stated aim of bringing in another striker.