Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Radio Norfolk and dumbing down football debate

Until last Saturday, I hadn''t listened to Radio Norfolk''s coverage of Norwich for quite some time. I rate Chris Goreham as a commentator, but always found the debate following matches to be dominated by ill-informed, often fickle fans.

Having listened to both Canary Call, and the first 10 minutes of the latest edition of the Scrimmage (I could make it no further), I worry that the lunatics are now running the asylum. Rob Butler possesses an undeniable enthusiasm for Norwich, but he does not appear to allow much room for alternative opinions, often shouting down those who dissented from his own views. Perhaps worse is Mr Butler''s attitude towards the discussion of tactics and the manner of play that Norwich adopt. He stated unequivocally at the start of the Scrimmage that they wouldn''t be discussing tactics and formation as that is not what the fans in the pub discuss. It might be that I am in the minority here, but that is precisely what I discuss in the aftermath of a Norwich match! Is thinking of sports which Simon Hooper might also struggle to referee really a good use of airtime and licence fee-payers'' money? Canary Call also completely failed to address the defensive frailties which led to Norwich conceding 3 goals against Palace, with Mr Butler repeatedly extolling the virtues of Dwight Gayle in relation to our search for a striker. In fairness, it could be argued that Radio Norfolk mirrors the demands of the supporters who tune in, but I would like to believe that the majority of Norwich fans think more deeply about football than their coverage would suggest.

I think this is part of a broader dumbing down of football debate in this country, as exemplified by the rise of reactionary and often poorly informed pundits such as Robbie Savage and Ian Wright to front the BBC''s football coverage. In this apparent race to the bottom, I would really like to see Radio Norfolk buck the trend and produce a better standard of football coverage.

Does anyone else share my frustrations?

I guess it''s a bit like car fans and Top Gear, if it''s entertaining, does it matter if it''s poorly informed and dumbed down for a wider appeal?

I do personally agree with what you say however.

The problem is, i feel, someone like Rob Butler gets exposed to a lot of twitter debate and effectively is consumed with 24/7 access to supporters.

So what he feels has been discussed over and over by ''know it alls'' on those outlets is less likely to make it on the show. At least he brings something that he''s passionate to the show, and it''s not just ''made up'' discussion like you get on talk sport.

But yes, It''s a shame for those that don''t use twitter and would like to hear more indepth analysis i feel. But so many talk complete balls i don''t know how you would filter it out.

Football hipsters are to blame! :)

Could not agree more, at times Butler is actually painful to listen to as he slams down people''s opinions and views because he doesn''t agree with then.

Yes he is enthusiastic but also very narrow minded and does where yellow and green tinted glasses, yes it is nice to hear someone sing Norwich''s praises but someone a little more impartial like Goreham or Adams who could still conduct a normal conversation without sounding like an excited child.

''Football Hipsters'' who are these people? Butler continually talks about these saying only managers and players should talk about tactics but can''t fans just enjoy tactics and strategies of the game without being branded as a ''Football hipster''?

Like all these things they cater for the majority. This messageboard is a prime example. There''s some great football debate but it gets overshadowed by the other stuff. If you look at the threads that have most views and posts you will see what''s top of the pops. Like in music it''s not everyones favourite music that''s most popular so some of us have to accept we have minority tastes!!

There''s some really good posters on here who post about tactics and players abilities. But in the main their informed posts aren''t debated properly. Take for example Ray''s posts about Russell Martin. He will post about Russell''s performances in actual matches and get replies stating that if Russell is centrhalf we will be relegated. Very few people discuss Ray''s points or bring forward counter arguments based on what actually happens in the matches. That''s because the majority don''t want to. Through it all I''m glad posters like Ray, and Parma to name another, keep posting.

And to add to what Nutty just said - if you listen to Butler you''ll see that the people he shuts down quickly are the ones that are overly negative and have no real reason for being so other than for a bit of attention.

The sort of people who phone up after we lose and say how carp we have been and that this is the worse team they have seen in 30 years etc. Essentially a load of bunkham from someone who doesn''t want a discussion.

If the caller makes a good point and it is not in line with his, he''ll ask questions and respect it.

It''s not as daft as you seem but letting trolls and people who just want to state an uninformed opinion, have more airtime - is just daft.

Well I''ve convinced myself that the first caller Saturday. Who ran Alex Neil down was just a stooge to spark a flurry of callers. What he came out stunk of being on the payroll.

I know one of the other callers who suggested Jerome and Redders should have started. He wasn''t shot down although Butler did say he understood why Grabban was picked ahead of him.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 14/08/2015 4:13 PM:

Like all these things they cater for the majority. This messageboard is a prime example. There''s some great football debate but it gets overshadowed by the other stuff. If you look at the threads that have most views and posts you will see what''s top of the pops. Like in music it''s not everyones favourite music that''s most popular so some of us have to accept we have minority tastes!!

There''s some really good posters on here who post about tactics and players abilities. But in the main their informed posts aren''t debated properly. Take for example Ray''s posts about Russell Martin. He will post about Russell''s performances in actual matches and get replies stating that if Russell is centrhalf we will be relegated. Very few people discuss Ray''s points or bring forward counter arguments based on what actually happens in the matches. That''s because the majority don''t want to. Through it all I''m glad posters like Ray, and Parma to name another, keep posting.

Spot on Nigel, too many potentially interesting debates are cut short by certain posters resorting to abusive name calling and derailing of the thread.

We do occasionally get the opportunity to engage in mature discussion thank goodness, so it''s not all Butleresque.

But your point is well made.