Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Worthy's words on Deano

West Ham would never be able to afford Dean Ashton, or something like that. This was the sporting headline in my EDP at breakfast today.

Worthy, that is music to my old ears mate. If we had lost Ashton, our promotion hopes, as far as I''m concerned, would have been flushed straight down the toilet. A big plus to Nigel on this.

However, yes there''s always a ''however'' with me isn''t there?. I trust Doomcaster and Co, are all singing from the same song sheet as Worthy, otherwise his words could come back to haunt him.

But I have to admit its a good positive reply from the manager to marauding clubs (Other than Chelski maybe) "Ashton is not for sale!". I love it.

Steady on Wiz there''s a danger of you sounding positive about Worthy there.

Anyway, have to say that I totally agree with you on this one.

But it''s strange isn''t it? Last time we were in this division Hux, Leon, Sven and Damo scored bags load between them. Plenty enough to get us promoted.

Three of them are still here and the other one has been replaced yet we think our chances would go down the pan if Deano leaves. To me it is a sure sign that we''ve got a stronger squad than last time. Just remember, the first game of the season last time we were in this division we had David Neilsen up front!

AH yes,its a positive thread,yes he''s managed to mention the manager without being derogitory,its going well....oh no! the proviso.....it was going so well,till we got to the "Doomcaster"and the different songsheets.......sorry Whiz,still no cigar,the challenge still stands

[quote]AH yes,its a positive thread,yes he''s managed to mention the manager without being derogitory,its going well....oh no! the proviso.....it was going so well,till we got to the "Doomcaster"and the diffe...[/quote]

Oh, but you''re a hard taskmaster No Legs!.

Seriously come kick off, you will see a new positive wiz, well Captain Jack Sparrow the pirate to be honest.

The only reason the wiz is still posting now is that come the Coventry game, I''m killing him off for the season, or maybe for good!.

He''s too bloody negative (Not like me at all) plus, as I won''t be at Carrow Road for any games this year, his ranting''s would hold less sway, and that won''t help good debate I feel.

So who knows?, maybe before the big KO, the wiz may surprise you by being utterly positive.

Well, I can do magic!.

[quote]West Ham would never be able to afford Dean Ashton, or something like that. This was the sporting headline in my EDP at breakfast today. Worthy, that is music to my old ears mate. If we had lost Asht...[/quote]

I was at the meeting last night, where Neil Doncaster, Joe Ferrari, Richard Gough, James Bigg and Miranda were present and this is a few of the points I picked up on. Other items will be posted as I recall them as the meeting went on for about 4 hours. It was a very frank and open discussion and if questions were side stepped it was done very cleverly.

Francis
Not going anywhere. Only one bid has been received from Pompey which came nowhere near the clubs valuation (he didn''t say what it was though). All the speculation is coming from his agent Finnegan. I asked him why Damo hasn''t come out publicly and said he would stay, but Damo prefers to go through his agent. His agent is a bit of a numpty is the feeling I got from Neil.

Ashton isn''t going anywhere.
According to Neil last night, they have had no enquiries about him, and even if they had, they are not going to sell him. He is very happy here and doesn''t want a move. They have had bids for two players this summer which have both been knocked back. Damo as posted above and Hucks (but wouldn''t tell us which team) I asked whether it was north of the border and he just laughed. They told Hucks about it and he said he didn''t want to go anywhere.
Interesting point about Thorne, apparently we had a 7 figure bid turned down for him and went for Iwan instead.

Transfers
Apparently Worthys phone bill is enormous and he''s always on the phone asking about different players. The transfer merry go round hasn''t really started yet as the market has been a bit static. Things will probably start to move now that SWP has gone to Chelsea, and some of that money will gradually filter down to get the market going. Loan deals are being looked at, but Premier clubs tend to wait until pre season is over before deciding on what players they will send out on loan.

Hughes
From the impression I got last night, Hughes is just about a done deal. His was the only name mentioned when any transfer speculation was raised. Neil must have mentioned his name about 10 times. He also said "good utility player can play in a number of positions, across midfield or either left and right back, and has a good work ethic" Also scotched the rumours about Koumas.

You think it coincidence that Ashton is in full training but being ''rested'' from the friendlies?. If his hamstrig is tight why is he doing full on sprint work with the rest of the squad?

I smaell smoke

[quote]West Ham would never be able to afford Dean Ashton, or something like that. This was the sporting headline in my EDP at breakfast today. Worthy, that is music to my old ears mate. If we had lost Asht...[/quote]

hi there , west ham supporter here , dont you think if we offered say 6 mill for ashton it would test worthingtons and norwich"s resolve ? is he that good , havent seen him week in week out like you lads , btw shame you came down , i used to like my away days to carrow road as i live in saffron walden in essex not far to travel and a ground with atmos , hope you do well this coming season and bounce back up , its a hard lge tho , ive always had a soft spot for norwich , ps beat them suffolk **** too good luck we hope to see you lot shortly , pps i used to have a crush on delia !! in her early days mind you

[quote]I was at the meeting last night, where Neil Doncaster, Joe Ferrari, Richard Gough, James Bigg and Miranda were present and this is a few of the points I picked up on. Other items will be posted as I r...[/quote]

Meeky - Cheers for the info. Maybe you should put it all in a new topic, might calm a few collective minds!

Its a good point regarding SWP and chelsea, in the past it wasnt the case, but since the introduction of the champions league, and Mr Abramovich it has created something of a food chain, or transfer chain if you will. The money Man city have will be spent at other clubs, where they in turn will have money to spend. Players at the buying clubs will then be surplus to requirements etc etc Its all a knock-on effect.

West Ham fan - first thanks for your kind words, and yes we will stuff the suffolk scum this season (twice).

I think £6m would be a fair value on Ashton now, but we won''t sell;

- He IS the real deal and given a good season or two in the Prem you could easily double that valuation. Great skill, vision, finishing, he is strong, not the fastest but you can''t have everything

- We don''t need to sell him, we are financially secure (not just from Worthington, but the whole Norwich board say the same). He is potentially worth a lot more to us down the line. He is a main reason we are favourites for promotion this season. We have a core of players we want to keep, and only ''silly money'' would take them away.

- He doesn''t want to leave. He has a wise head, and knows he is still young and needs experience.

- He scored some top class goals last season, can''t think of one lucky goal or a simple tap in, all had a touch of class. He also scored 20 at Crewe up until January, when he left they sank like a stone.

Good luck to you this season, its going to be tough...

Also thanks to Meeky. Interesting info!

[quote]Meeky - Cheers for the info. Maybe you should put it all in a new topic, might calm a few collective minds! Its a good point regarding SWP and chelsea, in the past it wasnt the case, but since the...[/quote]

Cheers Trent

Have copied and pasted this thread from the official site which makes interesting reading.

This is the question I would most like answering from last night. Put simply and clearly it''s this:

What is the financial position regarding the money available for transfer activity this term?

As a follow up. If it''s not, that we have at least a couple of £Mill lying around (so to speak-parachute, Helveg, Johnson etc) WHERE THE HELL HAS THIS MONEY GONE?

City...

Posted 1503 Messages
View Full Profile

Re: Rumours from Holland....
Norwich City FC @ 19-JUL-05 12:37 PM NEW Reply
Hi symonbrum,

How''s the golf game at the mo?

This was indeed one of the points raised last night. As I recall Neil saying at the time, it would be wrong for us to make public the amount of money we have available for transfers. This can put us at a disadvantage when trying to negotiate deals.

However, as you rightly say, all the money saved from transfer fees and wages from the likes of Svensson, Jonson and Helveg - plus any others that may leave before the beginning of the season (Gallacher for example, who has been made available for transfer) will go into the transfer budget. Every single penny.

It''s also important to remember a large portion of the parachute payment has already been spent on the purchase of Dean Ashton - a deal which could potentially rise to £4m - four times the Club''s previous record transfer.

We are also expected to make a considerable loss in terms of income on last season, which does not strengthen our financial position.

However, as has been said, all money raised by wheeling and dealing in the transfer market will be ploughed back into it.

Money is available to Nigel, but it could be said the players we need at the moment are not. But that is not to say the situation may not change as the weeks progress and clubs begin to feel more comfortable letting players go.

I suspect the SWP transfer to Man City has finally started the transfer ball rolling and we are now likely to see more activity cascading down from the top. We will just have to watch this space.

James Bigg

Posted 662 Messages
View Full Profile

SKIP @ 19-JUL-05 01:08 PM NEW Reply
Its obvious we will not have as much income as last season because of lack of TV money but as far as income goes there will be more income from the supporters as ticket prices have gone up and average crowd figures will increase because of the infil creating more revenue this year,on top of this players wage bill will be less as they are on Championship wages now so if the club cant turn those figures into a profit there is something amiss on the part of the financial department.

OTBC

Posted 851 Messages
View Full Profile

symonbrum @ 19-JUL-05 01:13 PM NEW Reply
All very fair points James. However...

Loss of income: Well apart from the fact that quite possibly Plymouth will not generate as much incremantal business for the club as Man U did last year, season tickets are sold out, new members restricted and virtually every home game I guarantee will be sold out again this year, I would suggest there is a bit of a gap in your argument there.

Dean Ashton being funded by this years money? Really? What happenned to last years money then and the massive ease of burden from the Watling write off and the massive income generated from me and all the other exiles not being able to get to all the sold out games last season?

I do take on board what you say James and unfortunately as I was not at the m

I don''t think 6m is a fair value Putney, given that Crouch has just moved to Southampton for 7m.
On that basis, Ashton is a 10m player at a bare minimum. I mean good as Crouch is (and I think we missed a trick not signing him) does anyone think he is as good as Ashton?

I was very worried by Worthy''s words to be honest.  West Ham "couldn''t afford him".  That suggests to me that if a club who COULD afford him came in for him we''d sell.  IMO he is priceless.  We could never replace him, even if we got £8M for the guy

Herb - I don''t think Crouch is worth £7m! I thought he was over-priced at £2m, but will now admit thats wrong. £4m maybe now. He was great last season, but I don''t see him re-creating that goal ratio at Liverpool. If he proves me wrong though I will be happy, he seems a nice lad and I like the fact that everyone says he is good in the air, when he is actually tidy with his feet! Good luck to him.

Meeky

This thread you cut and pasted is very interesting reading, but also somewhat alarming. It does suggest to me that NW will only be able to spend what he raises and no more.

Borrowing against future revenue is what got Leeds into terrible trouble- OK it was for Dean Ashton but what if he had turned out to be rubbish? This type of activity, often called mortgaging your future, is very dangerous and explains why there is little money this time round.

Watling''s legacy was a debt write off- excellent as it makes the balance sheet more stable and should also save some interest payments which could be put towards a salary but probably not enough for a transfer fee.

It also shows we failed to realise a large part of the benefit of going up- a recognition that Jonson was played in the wrong position, Helveg didn''t work out, too many keepers, higher wages and bonuses paid as a result of promotion, salary for Bentley while grooming him for Arsenal.

Finally- food for thought for Wiz- I don''t think Nigel said Ashton''s not moving. He said West Ham couldn''t afford him. Does that suggest that maybe a Middlesbrough or a Man City could (especially now that the latter have some big wedge due to them)???????

Meeky,

are you betraying a confidence by posting your private correspondence on this forum? Do you really want to undermine these people for the sake of sharing this info with the likes of 1st Wizard etc? 

[quote]Meeky, are you betraying a confidence by posting your private correspondence on this forum? Do you really want to undermine these people for the sake of sharing this info with the likes of 1st Wizard...[/quote]

Eh Fillet?

It''s not private correspondence, it''s in the public domain on the official site message board.

A few of us we''re invited by Neil Doncaster, Joe Ferrari, Richard Gough et al as discussed on this thread

http://new.pinkun.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=63&MessageID=204089

It was an informal get together and everything that was discussed can be discussed elsewhere.

[quote]Eh Fillet? It''s not private correspondence, it''s in the public domain on the official site message board. A few of us we''re invited by Neil Doncaster, Joe Ferrari, Richard Gough et al as discussed o...[/quote]

Meeky:

Sorry to see you get embroiled with Fillet''s obsessional pastime of wizard baiting. 

Fans eh,?. Who''d have them?. 

The discussion with James Bigg on the canaries message board makes very interesting reading. James IMO, seemed to be pretty evasive in his answers. Incidentally, what is his role with NCFC? This all still leaves me itching to know what has happened to approximately £31 million (£25 million from 1 year in Premiership + 1 years parachute payment).We need a breakdown of the finances I think. I''m not suggesting there''s anything underhand going on, but I just find it hard to believe there''s so little left over from such riches. One dreads to think what sort of state the finances would have been in if we''d failed to win promotion.

The political statements from the sources in the threads are strange cover for what is simply a foregone conclusion. No one has to be a financial wizard to work out that with our gate receipts etc. and limited crowd base it is impossible for us to contemplate more than 1.5 million being safely financially availabe for players to come into this club.

I meant to add my thanks to Meeky, for his excellent and calming post, cheers mate.

I may now have to consider a tiny (well it is me!) apology to the board now.

Dicky & Fillet: Thats how you get me to retract a statement. Not by the bluster and bullying posts you aim in my direction.

They just make me dig my heels in!.

sorry meeky, i got so embroiled in the correspondence that I had forgotten the start of your post where you clearly stated the source.

furthermore, the reference to 1w was indeed irrelevant and unnecessary. hence apologies, in this matter, to 1st wizard too.